Sign in to follow this  
wang_chung

why do cameras stop working all of a sudden, little help?

I got a 3MP wired IP camera that stopped working. I had it running for a couple days straight recording video on my NVR. I tested the power supply and it is outputting 12.4v, the cat5 that I ran is testing clean with no shorts between any of the wires (used a multimeter).

The LED lights on my router and camera show it connected, but it doesn't bring up an IP. When I search for them with different camera software, I no longer see the static IP that it was programmed for (192.168.1.10/11), just a 127.0.0.11/12 IP with the correct serial number, but it doesn't work when I add it (can't connect).

I can hear the IR cut filter flipping on/off, the camera doesn't smell "burnt", and there was no storm/lightning. I have swapped cat5's, power supply, plugged camera directly in to pc, checked continuity all the way to the circuit board thinking maybe the plug was bad.

I have no idea why it may have failed, and don't want to buy any more camera's until I figure out (and fix) why it happened in the first place.

Thanks in advance!

You tested Vo or VL ?

Sufficient current ?

Try bringing the camera to beside your NVR and connect it with a short span of cat5 and connect directly to another power adapter and see if it resolve the issues.

Allow you to isolate the problem area.

I tested the power supply without the camera connected, no load, so Vo? Been a while since my electrical diagnostic class, sorry.

The label on the power supply indicates it has more than enough mA's, and I tested the draw of the camera and it was within specs (spoke to the manufacturer).

I did bring the camera next to my NVR and connected it with three different 4ft cat5 cables, both to my router and to my PC wit no change in condition.

I did a bit of reading and found that my camera's network processor is the SMSC 8710a, and according to the following wiring schematic, I should have continuity between pin 28-31 (tx-,tx+,rx-,rx+) should be going to the RJ45 connector but I don't have continuity? Can anyone take a look to confirm?

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/EVB8710%20Evaluation%20Board%20Schematic.pdf

Thanks

If you already isolate the problem to the camera, just send the unit back to the vendor for repair/replacement since you just got it.

No point wasting so much time to troubleshoot. Just need to ensure the problem's not on your end.

If you already isolate the problem to the camera, just send the unit back to the vendor for repair/replacement since you just got it.

No point wasting so much time to troubleshoot. Just need to ensure the problem's not on your end.

....I plugged my other working camera into the same cat5/power outlet and it stopped being acquiring an IP after 10 minutes. Could it be an intermittent short in the cat5? or an intermittent voltage spike in the power supply? or maybe firmware corruption? I have a USB-TTL converter on the way.

If you had tested 4 different cables and also different power source on the camera, and another working cameras doesn't work when you plug in to the same port, most likely it's

1. That particular port on the NVR is faulty

2. Did you crimp the 4 different cables yourself ? Did you get the cable crimp properly in the standard arrangement ? Use a network cable tester to test.

you do test your cables ? You need to at least wire map the cable. Are you using solid copper cable?

These are pre-made cables I am using, not ones I made. I'm still in the testing phase of this new camera. I believe they are stranded copper.

If you had tested 4 different cables and also different power source on the camera, and another working cameras doesn't work when you plug in to the same port, most likely it's

1. That particular port on the NVR is faulty

2. Did you crimp the 4 different cables yourself ? Did you get the cable crimp properly in the standard arrangement ? Use a network cable tester to test.

1. It's not the NVR as it won't acquire an IP when connected directly to the router or my computer set in the corresponding subnet.

2. I haven't had a chance yet to custom make my cables, this tests were preformed with store-bought cables that work fine between PC and router. I have tried both cross-over and straight cables, but I don't think it matters anymore.

Thanks for the replies everyone!