Sign in to follow this  
Wantedbiohazard

Indoor dome camera question.

Thanks for taking the time to read my question, I'll keep this as brief as possible.

I live in an apartment building and wanted to keep an eye on our parking "lot" with a security system. I'm not able to mount anything to the outside of the building so I was wondering about setting up a couple of dome cameras on my windowsill, or on a couple of books to elevate them. Would this work? The cameras would be hooked up to a DVR system that I have yet to pick out, as I am still researching them. I"m new to the security system world, so please excuse my ignorance.

I'm on the second floor and I park roughly 100ft away from the building. They way our parking is set up, I wouldn't call it a "lot." Instead it's more like a wide driveway connecting other buildings with parking spaces up against the rear of the building, end to end, and on the opposite side of the driveway near the woodline between a series of garages.

There are lights over every buildings main access door and at least one streetlight on the woodline next to the garages. I've read other posts that say the IR will reflect back into the camera giving it partial blindness. Is there a way to turn off the IR's on the cameras?

I apologize for this lengthy of a post now that I've finished typing it out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Good day

I would recommend something like a bush cam/trail cam for this application , http://bushnell.com/hunting/trail-cameras , then you can put it up its not a fixed unit you can move it around and its battery operated,

Regards

Unfortunately I will not be going wireless with this system. I did consider it for a while, but it's not what I really need at this moment in time. Down the road though, definitely.

Thanks for replying!

I know the dome cameras can be mounted on the wall and ceiling, what about just sitting in a windowsill? Would the picture be upside down or anything; or would it depend on the camera, if you could move the lens?

Good day

It doesn't matter where you put the camera as long as you can see your objective, you are able to adjust the dome camera so your picture wont be upside down, you will need to disable the infrared , most cameras have a menu button on them which allows you to adjust certain settings if your camera has that then you can set the day/night mode to color, if it doesn't you can open the camera and disconnect the IR board

Regards

I know the dome cameras can be mounted on the wall and ceiling, what about just sitting in a windowsill? Would the picture be upside down or anything; or would it depend on the camera, if you could move the lens?

You may not need to worry: There are options for Horizontal Mirroring or Vertical Flipping video images on Cameras or DVRs.

There should be a few ptz cameras that would suit. I was playing with one the other day that just stood up on its own( and had quick zoom). will find a link for you at some point.

Thank you for all the responses! These answers are helping me out with my research into my first security system.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good indoor dome camera or are they all pretty much the same? Keep in mind I will more than likely be running an analog system.

I was looking at a few systems on ebay, that offer a bundle, like an 8ch DVR w/4 800TVL cameras to start. I'm guessing the higher the TVL, the better resolution, or as good as you can get using an analog system anyway?

I know that TVL stands for Tv lines, and have something to do with horizontal lines? I didn't get very far with the cameras.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANNCE-4-Indoor-Outdoor-IR-Home-Surveillance-Camera-System-4-CH-960H-HDMI-DVR-/151923619853?hash=item235f5a780d:g:nI4AAOSw~OVWynVJ

Hi. There are other camera types ... A box style might be best for you with the right lens.

Going for a dome camera to look out of a window makes no sence also you are looking to 100ft ..... You will not do that with a dome

Hi. There are other camera types ... A box style might be best for you with the right lens.

Going for a dome camera to look out of a window makes no sence also you are looking to 100ft ..... You will not do that with a dome

I arrived at the decision for the dome camera because it is small and compact. Unfortunately, I don't have very much space on my windowsill and I plan to set a few cameras up inside as well. (Living room, hallways, front door)

I'll take what I can get with the dome cameras, I don't need to be able to read license plates or pick out a mugshot.

Now if I could manage to get a small HD camera that could operate off of an arduino board somehow, that might be a possibility. I'm no expert when it comes to that kind of tech though, mostly I'm able to make led's blink and other random things, but I digress.