Jump to content
osity

Does Digital Watchdog offer a decent surveillance software package?

Recommended Posts

It seems DW offers their 'enterprise' software to everyone that uses their product. Does anyone here use it or have an opinion on their offerings?

Avigilon is another company I'm comparing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would bet the Digital Watchdog is either a rebranded Hikvision or Dahua.

Avigilon positions themselves as a step up from both of those companies. From what I've read, Avigilons VMS software is much better but the equipment may not be worth the mark up.

You'd have to compare for yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 5:44 PM, larry said:

I would bet the Digital Watchdog is either a rebranded Hikvision or Dahua.

Avigilon positions themselves as a step up from both of those companies. From what I've read, Avigilons VMS software is much better but the equipment may not be worth the mark up.

You'd have to compare for yourself.

You would be wrong. DW is rebranded Network Optix NXwitness. Its exceptional. Its not china crap. Its significantly cheaper in the short and long term than avigilon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HD908.  Good to know. I am liking their software. I assume you can use any cameras with it as long as you pay the per licence fee. My installer is quoting 2MP and the price is coming in quite high. I think this 2MP is pretty crappy considering there is much higher MP available today. Is 8MP too high for a small, one man retail electronics shop?  I guess it likely comes down to my budget....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, osity said:

HD908.  Good to know. I am liking their software. I assume you can use any cameras with it as long as you pay the per licence fee. My installer is quoting 2MP and the price is coming in quite high. I think this 2MP is pretty crappy considering there is much higher MP available today. Is 8MP too high for a small, one man retail electronics shop?  I guess it likely comes down to my budget....

Just remind us again why your upgrading 

1.3 upto a 2mp and then having to pay for each camera an extra  $400 or $800 depending on how many cameras

 

yes your right to think 2mp is old tech ..... nothing wrong with it just that there is better and that makes 2mp the cheaper option   $80 is the going price for a branded 2mp camera 

 

if your looking at 8mp then look at your first thread ...... stay with the coax you have which will help your budget 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just need cameras and a new system and thought that IP would be a nice upgrade. It's $700 CAD in labour to run the cat5e cable so if I could stay with coax that would save me a bundle.

It seems I will need to call Digital Watchdog and ask for a specific converter recommendation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, osity said:

I just need cameras and a new system and thought that IP would be a nice upgrade. It's $700 CAD in labour to run the cat5e cable so if I could stay with coax that would save me a bundle.

It seems I will need to call Digital Watchdog and ask for a specific converter recommendation.

 

Hi. .......what converter ???  That would just be more cost .

like in your other post ......you have new coax already installed ...... So why not just go with 4 - 5- or 8mp coax system and save yourself even more money.

why are you so stuck on digital watchdog ........ And going HD analog there system is just a rebadged system 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I would be totally happy with five megapixel cameras.  I want to use my PC As the DVR. My understanding is that I need some kind of converter/encoder and this was expensive. 

 

The other option i was given is hikevision or something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×