JzKKs13#u"3@6^!6nQV6~$]oN3

I can't decide which camera to get

I am willing to either buy something ready-made or put something together myself, but I'm having trouble determining my options and finding places to compare cameras side-by-side, so I decided that I'd ask for help. Here is what I need:

It must be cheap and have no monthly fees. I only want to pay for it once.

It needs to have enough waterproofing to be used outdoors during rain.

It needs to be in a very hard to access location with no wiring, so it must be able to use solar as its only power source and wi-fi for any data transfer. It will need to work in less than ideal lighting conditions as well, so it obviously needs a battery.

It must be able to detect motion and automatically start recording. Email alerts would be nice.

It must store video onboard (like on a microSD card) and regularly upload to my on-site Nextcloud server. Bonus points if it can record directly to the server live while it has a wi-fi signal. The onboard storage is important because I cannot have data lost if the wi-fi disconnects, and the automatic uploads are important in case of camera destruction and because retrieving the card will be a hassle. I am willing to use cloud storage instead of my own server only if I can store a reasonable amount of data on it for free, the recordings are encrypted in transit, and there is no or very little risk of the service shutting down and bricking my camera, but I really don't want to use cloud storage unless it is my only option.

I would rather buy something pre-made than make something myself.

And some things that I don't need:

Built-in doorbell

2 way audio

Built-in door lock

Siren

Big Brother stealing my data

I have two options for you to have a look.

1. SWWHD-INTCMSOLSTD   -   Swann 2MP Wireless Security Camera Kit with Solar Panel & Outdoor Mounting Stand

2. CS-C3A-A0-1C2WPMFBR  -    Ezviz 2MP C3A Battery Cam

I think both of them match most of your required and it's stand-alone camera, it means it's all pre-made.

That would be https://www.swann.com/uk/swwhd-intcmsolstd# and https://ao.com/product/csc3aa01c2wpmfbr-ezviz-smart-home-security-camera-white-65910-327.aspx, and the prices on those sites are in GBP, right? I can easily afford those cameras, but they are still more costly than I want to spend. The swann looks closer to what I want, but I'm still not 100% sure. It claims to have "7 Day Local + Cloud" storage. Does that refer to storage capacity (I can store up to 7 days of footage free of charge forever) or a trial period (I can store data free of charge for 7 days, then I have to pay)?

How long do those cameras last on battery power alone (especially the Ezviz, which does not appear to have a solar panel)? If they can go at least a few months on a charge, I might be willing to give up the requirement for solar.

Neither of those cameras look like they have Nextcloud support, so I'm assuming that no pre-made cameras record to Nextcloud? Why not?

On 6/24/2019 at 1:52 AM, JzKKs13#u"3@6^!6nQV6~$]oN3 said:

It needs to be in a very hard to access location with no wiring,

Is there power by the location ?

very hard to access ? In what way ..... is it going high

do you have network close to camera location 

both your links are the same camera both are ezviz 

There is no power in the location. It is in a forest across a huge ditch, and about 200 feet from the nearest outlet. (Yes, it is on my property.) There is a lot of poison oak on the way to the location. There is almost a direct line of sight to my main router (which is a pretty good router) so I'm guessing that I'll get a weak signal, but if it doesn't reach I can install the spare router closer to the camera as a range extender.

3 hours ago, JzKKs13#u"3@6^!6nQV6~$]oN3 said:

There is no power in the location. It is in a forest across a huge ditch, and about 200 feet from the nearest outlet. (Yes, it is on my property.) There is a lot of poison oak on the way to the location. There is almost a direct line of sight to my main router (which is a pretty good router) so I'm guessing that I'll get a weak signal, but if it doesn't reach I can install the spare router closer to the camera as a range extender.

Hi. Then the two listed cameras are not going to be good for you. 

Have you thought about a ptz camera 

The two listed are smart cameras not cctv .... made for indoor or close view. Putting them into an area like yours is going to use up the SD card in a day with all the motion detect 

ezviz storage is a waste of time and needs your camera to send data to ezviz server and you can only have a few hours of recording a day .... then you have to pay 

why I ask about ptz is the camera can be closer to the power and data and let the lens do the distance ..... plus you can move it (ptz) to any location 

what at is the camera going to do .... pick out people or protect something ?

Putting them into an area like yours is going to use up the SD card in a day with all the motion detect 

ezviz storage is a waste of time and needs your camera to send data to ezviz server and you can only have a few hours of recording a day .... then you have to pay 

Storage limitations like that is exactly why I want to use my own server, but apparently cameras that let me use my own server are hard to find.

why I ask about ptz is the camera can be closer to the power and data and let the lens do the distance ..... plus you can move it (ptz) to any location 

I think there are too many visual obstructions to make zooming in from a far distance practical.

what at is the camera going to do .... pick out people or protect something ?

I've been having issues with one particular person vandalizing my property and I'm trying to get evidence.

I'm in the US. That's about as specific as I'm willing to get.

Those seem like they may be more suitable for what they are being used for. Do those things generally get good battery life?

Are there any wi-fi trail cameras? I don't think its an absolute necessity, but I don't want to have to walk to the camera to check on it.

Ok ... just with you quoting £ in your early post I was going to say there are no trespassing laws in the uk. 

Yes trail cameras have a good battery life some for weeks 

some do have Wi-Fi and you can wirelessly daisy chain them back to your network 

you could also use a 3-4g motion sensor in same location as camera and get text alerts they can be had for around $45