kelvin

What to do when no-ip / dyndns start collecting subscription

I believe most of us doing remote viewing through a thrid party like no-ip or dyndns. what if one day they are no more be free anymore?

subscribe a fix ip will be expensive and i know some expensive dvr mamunfacturer do have their own server. Is there any other way to do remote viewing by not using no-ip or dyndns services?

No-ip.com currently uses a suscription model now. They offer a free service as a hook, but then charge you if you want to host a mail server or a domain name...

and what to do if the internet stops working one day? Maybe I'll unlock my gun safe and wait..............

complete electricity failure/meltdown is called a black out............what would a complete internet failure/meltdown be called?

- outernet?

- netlock?

- intercourseless?

- netless syndrom?

ok, I'll go to bed............

whoa VST, you've got it all wrong. the government could never let the internet fail, how would they keep controlling our minds and reading our thoughts?

made my own NO-IP software last night .. will keep yah posted .. just working out the DSN stuff with the hosting company now ..

Will do .. meanwhile ive found a ton of others out there besides NO-IP etc ..

heres a basic one that allows dynamic updates through your own software etc ... working on this code right now as it appears to be the most flexible.. but you can also just manually add your own names through their GUI .. up to 5 Domain names are free ... unlimited yourname.domain.com ...

heres another .. run your own service ..

http://www.dyndnsservices.com/

or use their's ..

http://www.dynddns.us/

run your own once again ...

http://www.dyndnsservices.com/

Ofcourse if you have a hosting company already you can manually add them in .. discountasp.net which is my host .. in their control panel you can add your own "A Records".. like client1.youdomain.com. .. and map it to you DVR IP ... once the domain name already exists then it updates this at least within an hour ...

Basic info on "A Records" (from Zone Edit)

An "A" record, also called an "address" record, ties a domain name to an IP address. If there is a server on the Internet that is configured to handle traffic for this domain, you can enter the name of the domain (like "www.ZoneEdit.com") and the IP address of the server (like "209.81.71.236"), and almost immediately, anyone surfing to that domain connects to the correct server.

I use dyndns.org,, it's free too

of course god forbid if we had to pay $5 / month for the service. how much would your isp charge for a static ip, alot more.

Probably worth paying for a static ip, as you dont really get a guarentee that the free service will be operating tommorow... No dns, no monitoring, until you get one sorted out that is, but whilst your doing that, someone could be robbing you blind.

there's no guarentee your internet will be working either, or working properly .. have to accept some risk when dealing with Remote Video. Record locally and use an alarm system, other than armed guards and dogs, it cant be 100% but at least its something.

I have to agree, I would much prefer to have totaly control over it.

Not to mention you would be giving subdomains off your domain which would help as refferal.