theuser

KT&C KPC-N600H Sample Pics?

Hi there, I am new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone has a sample picture or video as taken by the KT&C KPC-N600H camera. I am considering buying one, and was just curious as to the quality of the image that it creates. For my installation, I am looking for a somewhat discrete camera for the front of my home to monitor the driveway and front door (in day and night). So some of the requirements that I would like it to meet are:

-Color during the day

-Good low light ability

-Weather resistant

-Discrete

-Price <= $250

If anyone has a better suggestion than the KT&C KPC-N600H in a similar price range, let me know. Thanks.

-Andrew

Is this the hi-res bullet camera they offer? If so, at night, the camera will be pretty visible with its infrared led's on the front of the camera. This will stand out the most, especially at night when you can't see anything but a bunch of glowing led's...

Is this the hi-res bullet camera they offer?

Yes, this has 520 lines of resolution (in black and white I assume).

If so, at night, the camera will be pretty visible with its infrared led's on the front of the camera.

I had no idea that these LEDs produced visible light. Thanks for the tip. Do all infrared LEDs produce visible light like this model?

Nope, I forget the ranges (Rory knows) but only those in the lower wavelengths are generally visable. It's why you can see most motion detectors from a distance at night.

930nm and above is invisible. .. you will need a more expensive professional camera to pick up that spectral range .. .. most bullets will be in the 830-850nm range .. which is a slight glow ... 730nm is more pronounced like a Traffic Light ... then there are alot of cheap Color/IR bullets with Visible Lighting ..

Basically they are actually filters that go over the IR LED or Halogen Bulb, which cut down the output of the light, so you see less glow from the IR, but also that means the greater the filter the less light is produced for the camera to see. Certain cameras will pick up different spectrums and will work better than others, so it also depends on which camera you use. Normally the more expensive cameras will even tell you the ranges and generally produce a better image under IR .. EG. GE and Sanyo will tell you whether their Day Nights do 930-1100nm in their spec sheets ..

while its true the higher nm , like 930-950 will be "invisible" it also cuts down the range that the IR'S can see. That is why most manufacturers go with 830-850nm, and have the "slight glow" to achieve a longer range. If you went with a 930-950nm range it would have a 40% decrease in range of the IR'S.

In practice, it isn't the 850nM output which provides the glow, it's the lower (red) frequencies being output which are visible to the human eye.

If a narrow band filter is used which may be quoted at (for example) 850nM, then in practice it may be passing light in the frequencies of perhaps 830 > 950nM, so whilst the camera (if sufficiently sensitive) will see an illuminated scene, we can't actually see anything coming from the illuminator.

The problem is that most 850nM output lamp based illuminators (again as an example) actually output visible red light at much lower frequencies. This is great for the camera (i.e. more light available to produce an image), but what should be a covert light source, actually ends up as still noticeable by us mere humans

True they quote the mean from an unknown bell curve, which would be interesting to see.

I'm still somewhat interested in manufacturing illuminators I think they could be significantly improved.

With all this talk about visible vs. invisible illuminators, I think that this is generally not that big of a concern in most situations. Obviously, if a camera is installed within reach of the ground, you may not want it to be visible, but the majority of exterior camera installs are on poles, walls, or rooftops.

A few years ago I was working in an area with a history of multiple break ins, the owner had someone install cameras. They were all roof mounted and had visible red LED glow. It was immediately apparent when you got close to the property that there were multiple cameras watching over multiple angles. The property was definetely hardened, and thefts dropped off.

This would be no different than the people that place blue lights or LED's on their camera housings. It gives people a constant reminder that they are being watched or recorded.

I have seen many commercial installs that are still using quads or switchers hooked up to standard or time lapse VCR's. The observation and recordings are clearly the weak link in these systems, maybe a little red LED glow isn't such a bad thing

Sorry to steer the topic back to the question...some of us newbies don't know what the heck you are all talking about

Does anyone have any smaple pics or vids?

I am thinking about the same cameras......

Most motion sensors are passive infrared and don't emit any infrared energy other than a LED to indicate when motion has been detected.

Doug

Nope, I forget the ranges (Rory knows) but only those in the lower wavelengths are generally visable. It's why you can see most motion detectors from a distance at night.

Sorry to steer the topic back to the question...some of us newbies don't know what the heck you are all talking about

Does anyone have any smaple pics or vids?

I am thinking about the same cameras......

Attached are some pics from my camera.

I am pretty happy with the camera. The color during the day isn't great, but it works, and the IR beam at night is a bit narrow, but other than that it is a great camera for the money I think. I'm also giving it a bit of a cold weather test recently with our temps here dipping to -10F . I've now ordered the KT&C WDR dome camera and can let you know how that is too.

-Andrew

075.JPG.7c8438c24a160594a99e35d2032ac271.JPG

076.jpg.f7d7448d3b55e345d00c26048382cc73.jpg

930nm and above is invisible. .. you will need a more expensive professional camera to pick up that spectral range

Nope! Sorry… I have a handful of KT&C cameras, the day/night vandal domes. They can’t see crap at night without external lighting. (For reference, they will pick up whatever a regular 15w bulb illuminates out to about 5 or 6-ft away from the bulb.) Out of curiosity I took the remote control for my TV (uses IR above the visible spectrum) and ventured out into complete darkness, faced the remote at my face, and started punching buttons.

Wholly beejeeze!!! Flashes of the worlds ugliest demonic face was recorded on my DVR!!!

The KT&C camera picked up whatever was illuminated by the invisible light of the remote controls for my TV, DVD player, stereo … I tried ‘em all.

Andrew - The KT&C is a great vandal dome! Ok, bad news, 1 out of 4 KT&C cameras were faulty, had to be replaced. If I have a complaint about my KT&C cameras it is the lack of dynamic range that leads to dark areas at night and washed out areas during bright light. I am in the process of replacing some of the KT&C cameras with housed Pelco CCC1390’s. I will keep some of the KT&C for use above doorways to capture faces where there is always light. I don’t care about whatever else is in the picture for that application.

If you see the red IR light on the remote control, then it is not invisible IR.

My eyeball cannot see anything coming from any of the remotes. I can only see flashes of light (remotes 'strobe' their commnads) only when I point a remote at the KT&C camera, or if I illuminate something with the remote's flashing light that gets picked up by the camera. To see the result I have to play it back on the DVR because my eyeball can't see whatever the remote control is illuminating.

I have not tried it with the Pelco cameras yet to see if it can also pick up IR above 930nm like the KT&C cameras do.

You can test any of your cameras with a TV remote. Just point the remote at the camera and punch buttons. Try holding the vol. button. If the camera shows a bunch of flashes coming out of the end of the remote the camera is seeing above 930nm.

Still doesn't mean it is as sensitive to the IR as other cameras though .. but im surprised it picks up 900+ IR .. i wonder if it picks up 1100nm range though..

The KT&C's are probably like the other higher quality OEM domes Ive used out of South Korea .. they were okay but still dont match brands like Sanyo, GE, Panasonic, etc. and definitely not Extreme's higher priced (not bullets) IR cameras. Depends what kind of cost they are, as what you pay for the Sony Chip will decide what kind of sensitivity you get under low lighting and IR. There are many variations of Sony Chips of the same type, and their capabilities are determined by their cost.

PS. do you see a white bulb or red bulb on the IR Remote?

On the remote I don't see any illumination at all. The IR LED is behind black plastic. When I was out in the dark illuminating my face I didn't know if anything was working of not, couldn't see a thing until I played back the DVR and saw my face flashing. IR illumination makes the eyes look anti-Christ spooky!!!

true .. yep IR also hurts the eyes

at least the UF500's i dealt with in the past .. check this IR out .. totally pitch dark the entire driveway .. the IR actually goes out to around 500 feet at 10 degrees beam with 850nm ... if you stand in front of the IR within 3 feet for more than a few seconds, it burns your skin

uf500egnassau5.jpg11-47-31-PM.jpg

Solarized/Negative image

uf100_driveway_Solarized.jpguf100_driveway_Negative.jpg

Another IR setup.. once again pitch dark ..

really hurts the eyes when adjusting in the dark ..

poolIR2.jpgpool.jpg

Please excuse my ignorance.

I thought higher TLV reduced jaggies.

Should a 540TVL line cam with 768 x 494 effective pixels have jaggies like that?

60970_1.jpg