tosul

Hardware Compression

Good Morning

Looking for direction on a solid DVR using hardware compression. Application is for a school which will have 20 cameras initially and not go over 32 in total. I've heard that the units using hardware compression provide a high quality picture, which is why I'm asking about. Open to either PC or standalone units. The main focus of our business is telecom so I know just enough to be dangerous Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Tom

Look at the pics of the cards if the chip says conexant on it it will supply 30fps mpeg2 multiple chips you can multiply the framerate (you probably want 4 = ~120 fps) most use software to transcode to mpeg4 later but not required or you can use Divx or Xvid with Gordian Knot on your own.

There are many other hardware decoders out there but I have more experience with the bt878 used in HTPCs.

Geovision uses these chips on some of thier capture cards (IIRC up to 4 120 fps), geovision also has software internally to transcode to mpeg4/H.264.

HTH and you are on the right track.

I have used Avermedia's NV7000 DVR cards which has hardware comp. which works real well and they are easy to use and is riched with features...

Regards,

Sajaan

Acturally, there are many hardware compression cards in the market. Some of them are of good quality, some of them are not. How to distinguish them? Here are some tips:

1. Are there some chips on the cards? as I know, hardware compression cards use TI or Philips DSP chips.

2. Does the card support up to 64 channels's access in one normal computer?

3. Does the card support good resolution, for example, D1, half D1?

4. Does the card support real time preview & playback for each and every channel?

5. Does the card support dual-stream mode? Dual-stream mode mean local stream for local storage, and network stream for remote preview. Dual-stream technology ensure the best remote preview&playback performance.

6. Also very important, how about the compression algorithm. H.264 algorithm are the best efficient algorithm by now, which ensue up to 40% higher image quality and over 60% savings on recording storage space.

In a summary, excellent card will meet all the requirement above.

In our website, i've suggested some top quality DVR cards. You can find detials there.

Davis