ayalas

New to cat 5 any advice?

Hello partners.Im truly new to working with cat 5 cables i just received a roll of it to replace some rg-59 now my question is i have 4 cams with about 20 feet distance from each other and the dvr is about 200 feet away.How do i connect these 4 cams to run throw the cat 5 i mean when i get to the first cam and used two of the wires how do i get the the other cams connected?do i keep running the remaining six wires to the next ones or do i do i throw in a new cat 5 cable to the next one ?I dont know if im explaining my self right like i said im new to this any help please.my thanks ahead of time.

Theres a couple of options I can think of, the first is to run the cat5 the 200 feet to a junction box, then run individual cables from that box to each camera.

The second is to have a the cable go into a small junction box near each camera, take out the two wires you need and run through the rest of the cable to the next box.

The first option is a lot neater, and has the benefit that if any cable to any single camera is cut / chew / snapped etc then the other three will be unaffected.

ok. i like the first option but the resond my client wants the cat 5 cable is so we can run the 4 cams thru a single cable and use less cable.yes i do have the baluns but only one box and thats the one i put in next to the dvr (200 feet away) were im confused is in the other end were the cams are.would i have to put a second box near the cams and run a cable to each cam from that secound box?

You need a pair of baluns (one at each end of the cable) for each camera.

(unless your camera has a twisted pair balun compatible output, which is rare, but can be purchased)

Or a box with multiple baluns in, at each end of the cable.

If you run one long cat5 to a junction box, you could put the four individual baluns (or a box with 4 baluns in it whatever you have) into that junction box, then just use rg59 cable from each balun in the junction box to the cameras.

Or split a pair of wires of the main cable at each camera point, put that into a balun then wire that to the camera (some baluns plug direct into the camera, some require a rg59 lead from balun to camera, depends on what you have).

First option is definately easier and neater, and less hassle in the long run, and as they are within 20 feet of each other, its not much extra cable really.

How you going to supply power? 4 cams takes up all the pairs. Not that I would run power for 3 cameras over 1 pair of 24 gauge or anything...

You are going to wind up running more then one cable.

cmon, would you go out and buy a corvette for you and your wife and take the kids to christmas in the trunk?

do it right the first time.... 1 cable for each camera. its only $50 per 1000ft and im guessing that you can get 5 runs out of that. this way has less connections that you can screw up and you can always move the cables to different locations later on, if need be.

ok that job was done i used a second box near the 4 cams close to the power supply box with a ballun and out of that box 4 rg-59 to each cam.To my suprise it work on the very first try all 4 look cristal clear.The client was standing next to my when i turn on the dvr and monitor and he was a happy camper when he saw the views.This was the way he wanted it done so thats how it was done plus he sign the check and thats what matters.Plus he also gave me 2 other contracts for another bussiness he owns.so thanks to you guys i now can play around with cat-5. oh by the way 1000 ft of cat-5 here in pr is $95-$110.