sezlv

DVR Recomendations

Hello! I'm currently in the process of upgrading my old Night Owl DVR, which has been causing me endless headaches since 2014. It's been nothing short of a nightmare to deal with, and I'm well overdue for an upgrade, especially since my DVR model is no longer supported on their janky app.

I'm looking for a good DVR that will allow me to easily access my recordings from my phone and maybe even my PC. I've been researching some options on Amazon and eBay, and have narrowed my search down to a few brands, including Zosi, ANNKE, and HIKVISION. I would love to hear your thoughts on these brands and if you have any other recommendations for a 16-channel DVR with 1080p resolution.

As a side note, this DVR is for my home cameras which are 900TVL. I plan to upgrade them to 1080p in the near future. Thank you in advance.

Hikvision is a very well established brand, with consumer to enterprise quality products.

Annke tends to OEM Hikvision products.

Zosi recorder interface looks like XMeye based system...?

I would go with the Hikvision systems over Zosi.

Dahua is also a strong competitor to Hikvision. You can buy Amcrest, which is OEM of Dahua. Uniview is also another strong brand.

Using an OEM has some benefits;

Annke & Amcrest OEM'ing a commercial brand for home user's means they tend to update their phone apps and have a better user interface for home users.

- OEM: Original Equipment Manufacture. A fancy way to say it's a rebranded product.

7 hours ago, Mark_M said:

Hikvision is a very well established brand, with consumer to enterprise quality products.

Annke tends to OEM Hikvision products.

Zosi recorder interface looks like XMeye based system...?

I would go with the Hikvision systems over Zosi.

Dahua is also a strong competitor to Hikvision. You can buy Amcrest, which is OEM of Dahua. Uniview is also another strong brand.

Using an OEM has some benefits;

Annke & Amcrest OEM'ing a commercial brand for home user's means they tend to update their phone apps and have a better user interface for home users.

- OEM: Original Equipment Manufacture. A fancy way to say it's a rebranded product.

Thank you for all the information. I am looking at this one DVR, in particular, HIKVISION iDS-7216HQHI-M1/S, do you think this DVR would do the job?

https://www.hikvision.com/en/products/Turbo-HD-Products/DVR/AcuSense-Series/iDS-7216HQHI-M1-S/

I also was looking at a bunch of other DVRs that were "1080p Lite" which to my understanding isn't really full 1080p.

On 7/6/2023 at 10:45 AM, sezlv said:

Thank you for all the information. I am looking at this one DVR, in particular, HIKVISION iDS-7216HQHI-M1/S, do you think this DVR would do the job?

https://www.hikvision.com/en/products/Turbo-HD-Products/DVR/AcuSense-Series/iDS-7216HQHI-M1-S/

I also was looking at a bunch of other DVRs that were "1080p Lite" which to my understanding isn't really full 1080p.

That DVR looks good.

It also supports from IP cameras, which is handy when you start upgrading the cameras to digital ones.

Hi the problem with that dvr is it’s very limited ….. and also a short life span with what may happen with hikvision

when reading specs on hik always look at limitation specs ….. the one you have listed has a list of functions but it warns you can only use one at a time …. So if you use motion detection (which is a standard setting to use) means you can’t use any other feature 

I would look at a TVT dvr hybrid much better machine and has one of the best viewing apps made that gives you full control over your system most other apps can’t do that

also TVT is fully compliant with NDAA and GDPR    ….. hikvision is not compliant with either

I wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole !

3919 Secure Equipment Act of 2021 requires the FCC to no longer approve or review applications for equipment that pose an unacceptable risk to national security. This follows an earlier FCC intention to ban five specific Chinese manufacturers including Hikvision, Dahua, Huawei, Hytera, and ZTE.