Arockerdude

Cable question Combination Power and Video Cables

I am using a Combination Power and Video Cable. I am having no problems. Everything is clear no interferance. My questin is. Will the video improve if I was to go with a Different type cable. Would I get more resolution. Every little bit helps when trying to read those licence plates. My cameras are high resoluton. True day/night. I am going to hook up another set of wires going to the same cameras soon for a pan and tilt. Any ideas on what cabling to use would help. One person told be I should use the cat 5 type wiring. I am about to put these wires underground. And don't want to have to redo it all later. Thanks for the help. Dave

Here is a link for the cable I used. It is towards the bottom of the page.

Ps all my cameras are less than 100 ft. from the dvr.

EC-VPC100

http://www.hometech.com/video/composite.html

Why not just run trimese? Then you've got power/video/data all in one jacket.

Thats probably what I would do, then you can use analog or IP cameras in the future.

This is also called composite cable, and you can get a number of configurations. For your analog needs you'll want RG59 copper coax and not the RG6 aluminum you often find for home structured wiring. The one WirelessEye is probably talking about is 1 RG59, 1 Cat5e and 1 16/4.

Do you mean that the ground is coppper on the RG59 as well as the center wire?

(1 cat5e) how many wires would that be? What gauge are they? Are they for the zoom and focus. Low watage?

What is a 1 16/4...My guess this means 1 set of 16 guage X 4wires. For the Pan and tilt?

Here is what I need to run power for. The camera. It is 24 volt. Pelco 1390

And a power zoom lens. (Wide -Tele and focus)

The pan and zoom. Pelco Pan and Tilt Model pt270-24p (By the way. Do I need a receiver for this pan and tilt. I thought I could just send 24 volt straight to the pan and tilt.)

Can you tell me which wires would control what devise? I sure appreciate all the help. Dave

The RG59 copper braid and pin.

RG59 is only really good for video, no power, no data. RG59 only supports 1 camera per cable.

1 Cat5 cable has 8 22 or 24 gauge wires inside twisted into pairs, and many many wiring methods. (24 gauge is far more common)

You can run 4 cameras video alone down 1 Cat5 cable.

You can run 2 PTZs video and data down 1 Cat5 cable.

You can run 1 IP based camera, or 1 ethernet switch for many cameras from a single cat5 cable.

The 16/4 is for power. It is 4, 16 gauge conductors in a jacket. It will carry camera power for long distances or provide for higher drawing devices.

Basically if you bury one of those composite cables you are set for a long time analog, IP, multiple cameras, 12 or 24 volt. You are set.

I don't have any links I can post but google is your friend.

So you want a composite cable consisting of:

1-RG59u

1-Cat5e

1-16/4

The video however will not signifcantly improve assuming you terminated your RG59 properly.

This a DIY deal? If so figure out about how many feet you need and I might be able to help you out with the cable. You will quickly realize composite cabling costs $, especially if you have to buy 500' or 1000' when you only need 40'.

If you want to control the ptz directly with 24v (I guess you must be going to make a diy joystick or switch controller for it) then you would need (according to a pelco pdf for that model) a minimum of 20 awg wire (which should get you over 100ft easily). You also need 6 wires at least to control that ptz.

If you get a telemetry system then your choices open up a bit more, you can use a purpose built controller to send the control signals to a receiver at the camera end that then powers the ptz and lens.

With a set up like that you can connect the controller to the reciever using either rs485 or rs482 (depends on model) so cat 5 cable would be fine, or you could send the control signals down the coax cable along with the video (via up the coax, co-axitron etc) this system mixes the control signal with the video at the controller and un-mixes it at the recieving end. This means the coax cable can do video and control.

Telemetry systems are not cheap, nor particularily easy at times though.

Thanks for the help Everyone. I will have to sort out this info now and figure witch way to go.

Do I bury that simese cable straight into the ground? Or should I use the electrical pvc type tubing? Thanks Dave