21 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is more Popular in your area

• Standalone DVR
    • PC Based DVR
    • Webservers
    • Analogue
    • Britney Spears

what happened to paris hilton!?

PS. you forgot the embedded RTOS DVR, not to be mixed up with the Stand Alone DVR which can be embedded or PC.

I guess I should have voted analogue, as they are the real slim shady! But Britney looked more inviting!

We've starting to use PC Based Systems, but stand-alone wins by far!, i only use geovison because of the remote view facility, its a lot easier than stand alone systems.

We've starting to use PC Based Systems, but stand-alone wins by far!, i only use geovison because of the remote view facility, its a lot easier than stand alone systems.
Which stand alones, I find the remote video for the stand alones i use very simple, in fact too simple sometimes. I have seen and used some though, that were awful.

We use loads of stand alone models, it tends to be harder for the korean oem sort of DVRs because you've got no proper instructions, i had to get a IT technician in when using remote view for stand alones, but they rip you off. But stand alones are so much more reliable, and i would prefer using stand alone, no firewall needed dont think, less chance of a connection drop, but just don't know how to!

Check out http://www.sys-tek.co.kr/main.htm and look at the Argus C-16

Thats sold quite a lot in the UK, all you've got is a Ethernet port, how do i connect it to a broadband modem which has a RJ11 and USB connection?? When you order broadband, all you get is that modem, How do you program the connection properties, i.e. username and password? and what additional equipment to the DVR and ADSL modem would you need?

Use a hardware router, set it up with the info and connect the DVR, you may have to do some port forwarding but it should work.

Ill take a look. What abour Dedicated Micros, they have a simple enough remote feature? Kalatel's is even better then DM though, more advanced features remotely. Im going to test Appro'sand post a review of that as soon as I can, its a much cheaper product, but looks good enough.

Like Thomas said, use a router, and port forwarding. But cant you just connect the Modem direct to the DVR using a cat5 cable? Then program the static Ip and other info from the ISP, into the DVRs programming.

One thing I have noticed, companies such as GE, provide you with more manuals than you will ever need, tons of info, such as protocols like how to make your own integrated hardware or software for the DVRs, eg. Cor Access, Custom Keypads, etc. Compared to the 1 basic manual I got for the Provideo DVR, and the non existent manual I got for Crow, and the basic ones i got for some PC cards I tested.

Edited by Guest

Hay guys, I really know that I control a lot of these posts with my Strong opinions, but really I want to keep this one simple, so please just put where your from and what the market is doing, not what you think model wise is best.. thats what the DVR section is for.... I have also just put up a post there on a standalone I want to try, I would appreciate any feedback on it.

PC-Based are the most. Economy is not so good in México for cutomers to spend in a standalone DVR.

11 voted for it.. would be 12 if I did compared to 4 of standalone.. I just wanted to prove the point that standalone stabilty is not as bad as people say and people trust PC's and that standalone is mostly popular ONLY in the US.. there is nothing else I could do except to sahow you that I ahve more standalone products on my website than PC Cards and the dealers all want PC, this is a common trend and is not as bad as the US makes out!

In surveillance the main priority should be reliability. Embedded technology has the edge over PC-based DVRs when it comes to reliability. The core reason, is the embedded operating software is dedicated to managing video, where PC-based operating systems handle multiple processes simultaneously, potentially causing a higher level of failure.

With PC-based systems an operator may be required to operate a system that is beyond his IT expertise. However, embedded technology allows for much easier operation and is more user-friendly, leaving more time for the operator to fulfil his job description with greater ease and functionality. Management on the other hand have the full flexibility of a graphical user interface.