yoyo

jerky real time display with PCI-E & combo cards

Hi all,

I have tried Foxconn boards 865/945/ & Asus 945 using Nvidia 7300GT &LE PCI-E video cards. GV1120*16 card with ver 8.01. Using the PCI-E boards the live display seems jerky.

An old system I saw was: GV 800& dsp card the live display here was fine.

Anyone having the same issues or can anyone point me to a PCI-E board that they have working.

Thanks in advance

Yoyo

Believe it or not, I had a system with a foxconn board and it worked better with the on board video. Did you try this?

I also agree Rory. Unless a customer NEEDS the TV out I never stray from the 800's. Good better video quality with all the features. I was working on a 1240 tonight, live video is crap, although the recorded is fine. I personally think the 800 does a better job with mid res cameras compared to the combo cards too (no proof just my personal preference).

I personally think the 800 does a better job with mid res cameras compared to the combo cards too (no proof just my personal preference).

Yep thats what I saw recently with the 1120 .. i need to take another look at the 1480 i did before, as that one didnt seem as bad ..

live video seems fine on my 1480, although it slows down the live frame rate when recording, but thats fair enough considering its at full pal resolution, with about 10 cameras plugged in, on a underspecced machine..

Still playing with different recording options, to try to get best recorded results.

The foxconn boards I have don't have onboard vid. What I found out today is that " Geovision 8.01 & 8.02 don't like the Geforce 7300 card. I have messed with the new 8.1 BETA & it solves the issue though I'll wait a while to see if its bug free

Cheers for the quick responces

Yoyo

Yep thats what I saw recently with the 1120 .. i need to take another look at the 1480 i did before, as that one didnt seem as bad ..

Which 1120 did u use?

I was looking at using the 1120-16 channel vs the 800-16 channel. Are you saying the 800 is a better choice?

Id only use the 1120 if you need real time live display, or if you need the DSP output. From what I have seen, the 800 is better quality live video, and you can also use 720x480 where the combo cards produce black borders when using that resolution (known bug by Geo).

Interesting.

I didn't need the tv out yet, but was looking to maybe add it later. I was looking at the difference of getting a loop through or mutli-quad card and thinking the combos would be a better choice. Without knowing that the combo cards arn't perfect.

Does one think that the issues are hardware or software based? Possibly being that they could fix them later?

Its weird, I recently did a 48 cam system with 2 800's and an 1120 and I prefered the 1120 this time. What I found was the live display of a single camera was better with tv out off, but the 16 cam view was better (Clearer) with the TV turned on although it was less frames. This system was an intel board with on board video and it was very good.

BIG QUESTION??????

Does the GV-1480 record more fps in 640x480 then the GV-1120's? I was told that at 320x240 the 1480 does 480 fps but at 640x480 they are the same. Can Anyone verify this? I think if everyone knew the answer, it would effect the purchasing decisions. I emailed Geo directly several times with no answer.

If you use the DSP feature (you can still just connect it to a TV without turning on that feature) then overlay is disabled. Without overlay it is pixelised, though in smaller view, such as 16 way, it will seem clear, but when blown up larger it will be badly pixelised.

Ultimate recording speed will depend on the CPU, Geo claim 480TVL in 640x480 with a Quad Core CPU now.

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/6_0_news.asp?stable=News&sfiled=nid&stable1=News&sfiled1=newid&pno1=1&title=News&gname=News&pno=295

Also what I have noticed i've that the onyl time I get a decent live display with the 1240 system is when I use an older monitor. Prefferably a CRT monitor. I have 20" brand new Sony LCD and the live images are crap. I plug in a five year old DELL flat panel and it looks a hundred times better. Can't figure it out?

It sucks when i go out on a bid to upgrade a potential customers GV-600 system because they want more FPS only to let them know that it might not be as clear as they have it now.

Whats the technical explaination why they can't get thier live display up to par with even some of the most basic PC based recorders. Even the recorers from 3-4 years ago held a great live display picture into any VGA connection. (to bad they crashed all the time)

Ultimate recording speed will depend on the CPU, Geo claim 480TVL in 640x480 with a Quad Core CPU now.

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/6_0_news.asp?stable=News&sfiled=nid&stable1=News&sfiled1=newid&pno1=1&title=News&gname=News&pno=295

Are you saying without quad-core you can't get 480fps record out of the 1480? Or is it just with the new codec? Which is how I was reading it.

Are you saying without quad-core you can't get 480fps record out of the 1480? Or is it just with the new codec? Which is how I was reading it.

without quad core, or should say with normal CPUs like P4 or PD, the 1480 is specified at 480fps in 320x240 only, or 120fps in 640x480 (maybe 240fps, cant confirm this). Depending on the CPU you may get as high as 240fps with the 2.8 Core 2 Duo now also, there is no confirmation on this though that I know of.

Also yes, they claim 480fps in 640x480 and the Quad Core, using H.264.

I havent tested their claims myself though. I just know its not 480fps in 640x480 on the systems ive built.

BTW I should mention this is in regards to the recorded video only.

Hey Rory, did you get the info about the 1480's doing 480 fps in 640X480 straight from geo? I have tried asking them so many times without an answer. It's frustrating that they won't even tell dedicated installer the truth.

As for the live display, the 1120 I installed looked better side by side to the GV800 on single camera view. It was much better then the other ones I have installed and when you clicked on a single camera full screen, it was in real time. I thought maybe it was due to the onboard video, I'm really not sure, but I was impressed. This is why I am wondering about the 1480's at 640X480.

Which info is that in regards to 640x480, with the Quad Core CPU and H.264?

If so it was a news item from their website.

To the quality, actually it will be higher quality on the LCD monitor if you have a Video card with a DVI connection. Single view on the 1120 I had was actually the bad quality though I was talking about. They were always in real time though in live view. Its also possible that they have improved the cards, since this is a new one right?

Hey Rory, I was pretty sure it was only at 320X240 so i checked their site. Here is the link:

CIF only

Even worse, tests showed that at 720X480 the best the card did was 7 fps per cam. That actually quite poor.

I think the only reason they announced it was, before the quad processor, the 1480 could only do 240fps in 320X240 in GeoH.264.

Thats the link I posted before, also the 1480 always was able to do 480fps in 320x240 in Geo Mpeg4, with the 1120 at 120fps in 320x240, according to the specs from when they were released.

Going by the info in that link and what they were capable of doing before, this part leads me to believe with the Quad Core it now pushes 640x480, unless they just released the news for the codec, or could be their translation to English

"With Intel's Core 2 Duo processor, the GV-1480 can record 16 channels 480 FPS in Geo MPEG-4 and Geo MPEG-4 ASP format, or 8 channels 240 FPS in Geo H264 format. Now, with the availability of quad-core processor, users can experience 16 channels 480 FPS in Geo H264 to get very high quality and record-breaking performance."

Still poor though as their H.264 quality is not exactly that great, plus the cost of a Quad Core CPU isnt exactly inexpensive yet.

from (what use to be and should still be) the card manufacturer site:

This was the same before h.264 was released.

----------------------------------------------------------

16CH Real-Time Display + 400/480FPS Raw Data Capture

Video Input : 16CH (PAL/NTSC)

Audio Input : 16CH

Display Frame Rate : 400/480FPS

Capture Frame Rate

- 480 FPS @ CIF

- 240 FPS @ 2CIF

- 120 FPS @ D1

- Single card solution for video capture & real-time display

Resolution

Max. 720 * 576 (PAL) / 720 * 480 (NTSC)

How are you testing the fps in record mode?

Im not, just going by their specs, and my eyes

Ya, I think we are on the exact same page. Notice I said geo H.264 not GeoMpeg4 The important part of that press release was "The GV-1480 Combo Card is a high-end real-time video capture card capable of 16-channel video and audio monitoring, 480 FPS (NTSC) display, and 480 FPS (NTSC) recording rate at CIF resolution"

Does anyone use 320x240? Why? I can't think of one site I have done that records at 320x240. D1 is where it's at. Looking at those specs, i think that the 1480 probably gets close to the same frame rate as an 800 in 640X480 mode for a LOT more money.