magga

Replacing Hard Drive Dedicated Micros D4

with the DM Echo 4 i believe I was able to copy file because the unit had no IP address set for it. The big chip inside says DVTUC on it. I have tride downloadiingthe files from DM as well as I was able to recover the donedrive.zip from original drive. Same results. I'm not sure if this unit is set with an IP address either. When things are correct should I see the files being extracted before I get the bootloader halted message?

I did not have to ftp the files to the echo I copied just the disk.zip file to the echo4 dvr. So I will need detailrd instruction to ftp to the sprite2. And how can I find its IP address? Which files need to be ftp to the unit? ANYONE - PLEASE HELP

Have you read the previous 5 pages of this thread?

Page 2 tells you how to connect via FTP.

Page 3 tells you how to find the IP address.

Read this thread, read it a second time and then follow the directions.. If you still have problems after reading and following the directions THEN post your problem here.

Well, I was doing one thing wrong. In my prior post. I had thought only the disk.zip file needed to be copied to the new hard drive but you must copy all of the files in the original zip file which you download from Dedicated Micros. You do NOT need to FTP the files. You can use a usb hard drive encloseure to format the drive with the 3rd party software and copy the files from the PC to the replacement drive. This has worked for me with both the Echo4 and the Sprite2 units from Dedicated Micros.

Notes: I have successfully used 80gb, 100gb, 160gb drives and have read posts where larger drives have been used successfully. I have also read posts where sata drives have been used successfully using ide to sata converters.

Here are the steps using a usb hard drive enclosure:

1) Get a new ide hard drive

2) Power up the PC

3) Connect the hard drive to a PC using the usb enclosure

4) In Windows Disk Management, create a new primary partition on the drive, using all available space.

5) Use Fat32Formatter or guiformat to format the disk (Windows format does not work). You can download them from here: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/

6) Download the current software for your DVR from Dedicated Micros here: http://www.dedicatedmicros.com/software_re...ex_firmware.php

7) Unzip the software to your computer's hard drive

Copy all of the files you extracted from the zip file to the replacement drive

9) Install the hard drive into the DVR

10) Power up the DVR at which point it will check automatically rebuild the drive.

--- (1) Displays "Initializing bootloader" (about 1 minute)

--- (2) Displays "Initializing boot signature"

--- (3) Displays "Ram tests"

--- (4) Displays Hard Drive Info:

------- Drv. Model No. Size Format Status

------- C: Maxtor 6L100PQ 099 GB Fat 32 OK

--- (5) Loading application from disk (goes through loading software and creating storage areas)

11) After a short wait it should boot into the normal menu.

i have some problems with my d4. don`t remember passwords used to log to the unit through the ethernet. my hyperterminal connect to the recorder through the serial 2, deleting those files that some people talk about doen`t change anything. After that i still cannot log to the recorder.

Can anyone tell me how to change passwords in this recorder when i know old password? i have 2 recorders and i know passwords to the second one but i dont know how to change them.

I have personally used a Seagate 1 TB SATA Hard Drive with the ide adapter successfully using the method I described above.

I used the ones referenced earlier by DMInstaller in his post.

SO I've asked this question before with no response...

What is the appeal to DM? Why are people paying ridiculous prices for their stuff?

Dealer prices on 4 channel units are $1,000 plus. Is it really worth it??? Especially with them having a monopoly on hard drives? That's the first I've heard of ANY company storing system files on the HDD and demanding that you send the entire unit into the factory for HDD upgrades/ replacements. No cool IMO.

So seriously, why are you guys buying their stuff?

What is the appeal to DM? Why are people paying ridiculous prices for their stuff?

Dealer prices on 4 channel units are $1,000 plus. Is it really worth it??? Especially with them having a monopoly on hard drives? That's the first I've heard of ANY company storing system files on the HDD and demanding that you send the entire unit into the factory for HDD upgrades/ replacements. No cool IMO.

marketing hype??

Well that's what you and I must assume... but what about someone who's actually used their gear? What am I missing from the spec sheets?

although its been a few years, I used a couple before. Back in the day when they were competing with GE Kalatel .. the DM were not as good IMO, also very overpriced in North America. I cant speak for either of their current models though.

Once again, no one cares to answer my question. Lol

I'll try again the next time I see a DM thread.

you didn't try in my two threads ... which got zero answers. But, I figured it out and got it working and replaced the HDD's. DM said I had to send it to them for $600! BS, I did it myself.

I bought the DM D4 because it was available and "appeared" to be well supported. It has been quite reliable and works well. But, with the SW on the local disk I think it just wore out after running 24/7 for 6 years.

Dealer prices on 4 channel units are $1,000 plus.

Is it really worth it??? Especially with them having a monopoly on hard drives? That's the first I've heard of ANY company storing system files on the HDD and demanding that you send the entire unit into the factory for HDD upgrades/ replacements. No cool IMO.

Why are you paying dealer prices?

They have a monopoly on hard drives? I've never once sent a unit in for them to upgrade. They post the directions and files you need on their website for download. I see their response as better than most in the CE industry. If a nontechnical owner (store owner, small IT guy) calls them and reads the error on the screen and asks what to do, I ABSOLUTELY expect them to tell them to send it in and they will professionally refurb it. Every company does that. And if it's out of warranty, I expect them to have a cost associated with it.

I guess you could ask why people drive a Honda instead of a Ford, they are both just cars right?

Why are you paying dealer prices?

Umm... I'm a dealer?? lol

They have a monopoly on hard drives? I've never once sent a unit in for them to upgrade. They post the directions and files you need on their website for download.

Ya... isn't that everyone's complaint? They have to send the unit in for an expensive repair b/c the OS in the hard drive. No simple swap out... Poor design in my opinion and a total PITA. All of the DVRs I've used (both low and high end) have been extremely simple to swap out HDDs...

I guess you could ask why people drive a Honda instead of a Ford, they are both just cars right?

I get why a luxury car costs more... I don't get it with DM. DM is 4 times the price, with less features and judging by the problems people have with them... They are no more reliable than cheaper units. So I'll ask AGAIN. Why would anyone want a Dedicated Micros?

Have you tried Avermedia? Have you tried anyt other big name DVR manufacturers? How do YOU think DM stacks up to the competition? Please enlighten me and justify the expense...

Have you tried Avermedia? Have you tried anyt other big name DVR manufacturers? How do YOU think DM stacks up to the competition? Please enlighten me and justify the expense...

You are kind of thread jacking a DM repair thread with your anti-DM ranting. I have no interest in getting into a debate regarding one brand vs. another. We get it, you don't see the justification to buy DM. Many people do. I've used Avermedia and supported many others. I now install DM exclusively. Similar to a real estate agent that won't show a house under $500k, I can pre-screen my clientele by the cost of my work. If Avermedia units work the best in your situation, great!

Anti-DM ranting? No sir! I only wish to be enlightened on what I'm missing out on...

If you can justify to your clientele the tremendous increase in price, surely I can too!

I'm just a little curious why you stall and come up with excuses not to explain??

So far your only reason has been to add overall cost to your installs which isolates your clientele. Interesting business model, but I'm still not sold on switching... YET.

I don't think being slightly off topic matters much, happens all the time. Welcome to the forum btw!

Sorry if I've offended anyone or come across as a hijacker and Aver propaganda spreader! Not my intent at all.

Anti-DM ranting? No sir! I only wish to be enlightened on what I'm missing out on...

a 200 page manual in several languages and a pretty case

I don't think being slightly off topic matters much, happens all the time. Welcome to the forum btw!

Slightly off topic?? this is a thread for DM HD replacement. You come on asking for folks to explain their love affair with DM because you just don't get it. That's completely off topic and should be in it's own thread.

Welcome to the forum? I've been here two years before you even joined...

Again, I don't care to explain anything to you, I don't care what you install/don't install. DM hard drives are not difficult to replace. I can have drives prepped in two minutes. So if that added two minutes to the time required to swap drives really eats at you, don't use DM!

I've tried to replace my HDD twice on my D4. Have current version of the software (3.1 v.188) and my machine had (2) 160 GB HDD's originally (turns out the Maxtor is really 163 GB).

I put a 320 GB in it and all was fine for 12 hours or so ... then HDD fail because of video index. I've been thru several iterations of these.

Bought (2) 160 GB WD HDD's and installed. Turns out they are really 160 GB and not 163 like the Maxtor's are. So, only the C drive installed. Worked a few days then same video index error.

I have a router and have the D4 on it. How can I access it over my home network thru my router?

Secondly, how can I get the D4 to format the HDD for me instead of me doing it via my 3rd party software on my PC? I don't seem to be able to communicate with the box over the network other than in the DM viewer software.

I tried to connect to it via the serial port and hyper terminal ... no success.

I also tried to connect to it via my FTP program in the home network through the router ... no success. Can we connect to the D4 via the serial port? What settings and prochedure?

I'm not sure if having the D4 format the HDD itself will help, but it appears that the unit is unhappy with anything but it's original Maxtor HDD.

Still not addressing my original question?? You're running out of excuses!

Slightly off topic?? this is a thread for DM HD replacement. You come on asking for folks to explain their love affair with DM because you just don't get it. That's completely off topic and should be in it's own thread.

I only came on this thread because I knew I would have the attention of the several DM users/ installers here. I really do want to know what's so special...

Welcome to the forum? I've been here two years before you even joined...

Oh, I just saw your number of posts was low... I can't welcome you anyway?

Why are you so bent out of shape that I asked an off topic question in this thread? This forum is obviously of little importance to you if you've been here that long and only had 12 posts at the time you replied to me.

Again, I don't care to explain anything to you,

Apparently you did. You're very contradictory! You took the time to reply to my question, but didn't answer it at all. You've spent more time ranting and raving about my questions than it would have taken to answer them! I'm beginning to think you CANT explain why DM is better... It doesn't seem to be a matter of choice.

I don't care what you install/don't install.

Ok, I don't expect you to. But this is a forum for sharing information.

So, I asked a question... You're not answering it, why are you here? Just to be an A hole? There's probably others out in Internet land that may like to know why you think DM is superior as well... Maybe even a future customer!

DM hard drives are not difficult to replace. I can have drives prepped in two minutes.
Hmmm... funny... look at the post just before this one. The timing couldn't be any better for my point.

I find your people skills and the inability to reason a poor representation of our industry, and Dedicated Micros.

I've tried to replace my HDD twice on my D4. Have current version of the software (3.1 v.188) and my machine had (2) 160 GB HDD's originally (turns out the Maxtor is really 163 GB).

I put a 320 GB in it and all was fine for 12 hours or so ... then HDD fail because of video index. I've been thru several iterations of these.

Bought (2) 160 GB WD HDD's and installed. Turns out they are really 160 GB and not 163 like the Maxtor's are. So, only the C drive installed. Worked a few days then same video index error.

I have a router and have the D4 on it. How can I access it over my home network thru my router?

Secondly, how can I get the D4 to format the HDD for me instead of me doing it via my 3rd party software on my PC? I don't seem to be able to communicate with the box over the network other than in the DM viewer software.

I also tried to connect to it via my FTP program in the home network through the router ... no success. Can we connect to the D4 via the serial port? What settings and prochedure?

I'm not sure if having the D4 format the HDD itself will help, but it appears that the unit is unhappy with anything but it's original Maxtor HDD.

What is the full model number?

3.1 188? Did you mean 3.1 168? I didn't think they made a release after 3.1 168.

When you first power it on, what version of the bootloader is it running?

What is the full model number?

3.1 188? Did you mean 3.1 168? I didn't think they made a release after 3.1 168.

When you first power it on, what version of the bootloader is it running?

D4.png.2616fd682814fc8719cfa1ffa0681f28.png