magga

Replacing Hard Drive Dedicated Micros D4

Thanks for the manual. Unfortunately, looks like I am doing everything right! The new HD says fine - it is just continuing to say "incorrect software build". I am going to rebuild it today and see what I get. Whether I use the original 160 or the 320, same error message.

DM D4, may i install one or two hard drives?

DM DS2 9ch, has anyone installed a SATA hard drive with a SATA to PATA (ATA to IDE) converter?

Is it true DM only accept hard drives with a 8mb cache?

Thanks everyone with help on my previous issue. thankfully, I was not going crazy - I was doing everything correct - the Motherboard was fried.

My friend with the DS4 - Sorry - I have not used a converter. Also the general concesus is that the DM hard drives will only accept 8MB in Cache. I have stuck to that and had no issues. The theory of only being able to support 160GB is bogus, though. I have upgraded all my 160's to 320GB PATA, 8MB cache - and they work fine. Hope that helps......

Thanks,

I've upgrade a clients DM DS2A with a HITACHI Deskstar T7K500 HDT725032VLAT80 (0A33405) 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133. It's been recording for 1.5 years 24/7 without any problems.

I thought I'd try a 500GB hard drive for another DM DS2. I usually buy from Newegg, but they only carry a 16mb cache 500GB IDE harddrive.

I have the same issue. DM ECO4, Fat Version....

Question now is can I go and buy a unit from some retail store like BrandsMart, Home Depot, Best Buy... and bring home and plug in my camera wires and plug power into wall and it will all work? Is there any issues with this plug and play setup? I can not afford for this unit to be down for any time and dont want to send back to the factory watse a month and then pay alot of $ to fix this model. Rather upgrade.

Please advise.

Which model to buy? 4 cameras.

I guess it needs time stamp so its admissible in court?

thanks.

john

My primary drive failed so I installed the firmware on the slave drive and converted it to a master using the jumpers.

I have a new drive on route. To allow the other drive to act as a slave is there any software needed on this drive or is it simply a case of intalling a formatted HD?

This thread with the associated links is worth its weight in gold. With limited previous knowledge I have successfully upgraded a DM D4 80GB to 300GB for my personal use. I have still to try out a few of the techniques mentioned, like finding a lost IP, but intend to have a go asap.

So thank you to all contributors.

One difficulty I had was using the FTP to transfer the software to the new drive. In the end I just did what several others had done & copied the files while the new drive was attached to the PC. At first this failed & the D4 just remained held in bootloader. Then it occurred to me that the new drive was basically new & didn't have a means to unzip the files, so I loaded the unzipped files, returned the drive to the D4, turned it on & it came to life. A fantastic feeling after many hours of trying to get it to boot up.

Heres some answers to a few peoples questions;

You will need the following items;

1x RS232 Cable - Attach to SERIAL1 on the DM DVR

1x Crossover Network Cable

Hyper terminal

Removing Front Panel User/Admin Passwords for ECO4, D4, DS2 Legacy Series:

The unit must be shut down into Bootloader mode this is performed by going to the system shutdown menu and holding CAM2

Connect via hyperterminal using 19200-8-1-N

Press ESC ESC ESC ENTER and a prompt will appear

Now do the following commands

UP TOWNGIRL

NVMDIR BB_RAM0

NVMDEL BB_RAM0:SYSDATA

CD NVDATA

DIR

(take note of the .TXT file in this location it 90% of the units I've had to do its been DSMKII.TXT)

ERASE DSMKII.TXT

RESET

Your unit will now restart and the passwords will be gone.

Replacing HDD:

Install your new HDD, most units will not support any more than 2x 320GB Seagate AV HDDS

Connect via hyperterminal using 19200-8-1-N

Press ESC ESC ESC ENTER and a prompt will appear

Now do the following commands

UP TOWNGIRL

IP SET 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0

n.b the command IP SHOW will detail any existing IP Address information already stored in the units NVRAM

FORMAT C: Y

Once the format completes you can then install the correct software for the unit.

The correct board type can be found by typing VERSION

One you have downloaded and FTP'd the software to the unit type RESET and it will then install the software

One afterthought to my above post;

If you are unable to force the unit into bootloader mode from the menus you may have to short out a jumper on the main PCB. Here is a table of the various board types and the location of the jumper. Ensure the unit is not powered up before shorting the jumper.

After the jumper has been shorted, the unit will start in bootloader mode allowing you to perform your terminal level commands. Once you have finished, power the unit down, remove the jumper and then power the unit up again.

PCB JUMPER SETTING LOCATIONS
Product               Product Cat              Board    PPS   Boot hold
DIGITAL SPRITE         DS01                     DVT37    25    J3
DIGITAL SPRITE 2       DS2                      DVT37    25    J3
                      DS2A                     DVU42    50    J1
                                               DVU52    50    J1
                      DS2A 4 WAY               DVU54    50    J1
                      DS2A 6 WAY               DVU55    50    J1
DIGITAL SPRITE PLUS    DS2P                     DVX12   100    J1
                      DS2P 6 WAY               DVX13   100    J1

EC04                   D4C CREAM                D4C21    25    J2
EC04                   D4C CREAM                D4D2     25    J4

Great post people.

I have a new problem with a DM D4A with a 40GB Maxtor.

Backgorund on this D4A

motherboard is D4DRA

IP: 192.168.1.12

subnet: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 192.168.1.1

The original firmware is boot software version 3.0 (018)(D4DR)

Firmware has been upgraded to 3.1 (168) to original hard drive. It has been running for 2 years. The original hard drive started to fail after 5 years.

This D4A goes thru the normal boot process,

"Initializing boot loader"

checks NVRAM - pass

checks hard drive - pass

Initializing application

Then this message "System Software Ver. 3.1 (168)-D4(D4DR) ***Software build is incompatible***"

1st issue, the static IP in no longer programmed in the D4A. Therefore, can't ping. Can't FTP & upload firmware to new hard drive by network.

I've tried the following with a Maxtor 120GB IDE 8MB cache

1. I was able to clone the failing hard drive with Nortons Ghost 11.0. However, there are bad sectors on failing hard drive. Same message, "Software build is incompatible"

2. With the new hard drive, I've copied firmware 3.1 (168) & unzipped the files within the new drive. Same message, "Software build is incompatible"

3. Hyper terminal, RS-232 cable, cross-over cable. Configured hyper terminal 19200-8-N-1 & computer XP PRO IP 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0. J4 is the jumper to "Halt on boot loader"

No response to keyboard inputs

4. tried to use Putty.exe in place of hyper terminal too.

I'm need help. I've replaced hard drives in a few DM DS2A thru FTP upload. Why is this D4A saying "Software build is incompatible" when it used to work with firmware 3.1 (168)? Why did it loose it's static IP settings?

Thanks in advanced!

Thanks everyone with help on my previous issue. thankfully, I was not going crazy - I was doing everything correct - the Motherboard was fried.

Darn, I re-read all the post carefully. I thought I was going crazy too.

"software build is incompatible" = Fried motherboard

Hi

Thanks for the information.

I have just successfully replaced my failed DM ECO4 160GB HDD with a new 320GB one.

Word of warning to anyone else (save you wasting the time I did)

The FTP software from DM will not work on Windows 7 laptop. I kept getting syntax error warnings as soon as a connection is made. Very confusing at first. However, I gave up and tried from my XP desktop machine and hey presto. Worked first time. Connected back up and it extracted files and set it self up with no issues.

" title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

Hi all,

Grate forum…

I’m new registered user, I’ tried to read all posts with DS2 to find something related to RS-232 connection or telnet connection, something that give me access to prompt c:\.

Could someone help me to connect via RS or telnet to DS2 console? The model has only one serial port.

I have a DS2 DX16C (DVTR) with an old very old version of software 3.0 (002), I think this is a factory one. I updated successfully to 3.1(90) build and 1 Tb (2x500Gb HDD). With this new build the DS2 didn’t see the RS-485 serial telemetry. The old HDD is fried, it is working yet but only in a very cold environment.

Any HDD clone of original HDD put the Serial Telemetry Type in NONE in System Option without possibility to change. Did someone find this behavior?

IMPORTANT!!!!!

IN MY INVESTIGATION I FOUND SOMETHING VERY NICE: TELNET ON PORT 2123 RETURN debug INFO. Try it is free! I found here the boot sequence also Net test, RS-485 detection…….bla bla... I tested only on one DVTR and one DVTU

EVRIKA!!!!!

"Serial Telemetry Type NONE" is caused by clone process. IF firmware is reapplied the issue is solved. Seams that some files attribute from c:\DVR or another place are changed by clone process (made by OS copy command).

George

" title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

Here is an another update for you. Back in 2008 I successfully upgraded a DS2A 165 (NET) DTVX to (2) 750 GB IDE Seagate drives with 16 MB cache. No problems at all, it has been running like clockwork for nearly 2 years now. I just got it back in the shop as the client would like a "hot" pair of backup drives so if/when it dies they can open the case and have it up and running again in minutes.

Since IDE drives are getting harder to come by (and I can't find 750 GB IDE drives at all anymore) I ordered (2) 500 GB IDE Western Digital Drives with 32 MB cache which were the largest I could find. I also ordered (2) 1 TB Seagate SATA drives with 32 MB cache and IDE <-> SATA converters.

I'll let you know how it works out with 32 MB cache and trying to get it up to two terabytes by using the SATA/IDE adapters. If the SATA/IDE adapters work, I may try (2) 2 TB drives just for fun...

Well the 500 GB Western Digital IDE drives were actually 16 MB cache, not 32 but it didn't matter. Despite numerous changes to how I had them installed (1 drive, 2 drives, slave, master) - I could never get the DVR to boot with these drives installed.

I really thought these would be up and running in no time and I would have trouble with the SATA drives but it didn't turn out that way.

The two 1 TB SATA 32 MB cache Seagate drives? - installed without a hitch. It was a little cramped getting the SATA - IDE adapters in there with them, but once mounted, it was up and running without an issue. I put it in service with the SATA drives in it and kept the original IDE Seagate 750 GB drives (nothing wrong with them) as the spares for the customer.

It's nice to know that with the phasing out of high capacity IDE drives, we can keep these units in service with huge SATA drives.

I don't think it's going to be possible for you to replace the HD. The factory has to do it. And they won't upgrade the drive to a larger size from what I understand, they rather you buy a new DVR at a higher price.

I have replaced the hd successfully on an Echo 4 but trying to replace the hd on a Sprint 2 I am having problems. Please advise:

1. I use 3rd party to format drive fat32

2. Copy drive.zip to drive

3. Install drive in DVR

4. Boot DVR

5. Displays "Initializing bootloader" (about 1 minute)

6. Displays "Initializing boot signature"

7. Displays 2 "Ram tests"

8. Displays Hard Drive Info:

Drv. Model No. Size Format Status

C: Maxtor 6L100PQ 099 GB Fat 32 OK

Loading application from disk

Halted in bootloader

Thats it. Turn Off wait Turn On ... same sequence.

PLEASE ADVISE

johnharryb, Looking at what you said you did, I think the problem is your step 2. Instead you should be doing what yilmazozer has listed here in steps 3 & 4.

1. Create a Primary FAT32 partition using Windows Disk Management. Do not limit partition size use all available space. When asked select " Do not format partition"

2. Download a 3rd party FAT32 formatter. I used fat32formatter from RidgeCrop. Format the disk with the application

3. Download the firmware update from dm website.

4. Use the included ftp program to upload the files the the machine. You need to know the IP address of the DM

5. Mount the HDD back to the unit. It will create a new storage image when you boot it up.

6. Restart the DM unit. And thats it.