protecvideo

Windows XP toolbar problem

I have a HP laptop with some issues. I have windows XP media edition.

My laptop locked up and I shut it down. When I restarted it my toolbar with all my icons and start menu button is now going vertically up and down my screen instead of horizontally accross the bottom of the screen.

I tryed to minimize, drag, look through the toolbar options but I can't get it back . I know everyone here is wiz with computers so maybe someone knows how to get it back to normal. Thanks

17891656_Screenshot-1_13_20077_56_45PM.thumb.jpg.a2f4e5ea9f589d5b0368cb615c015140.jpg

make sure its not locked, then you should be able to drag it back.

right click over it, you should see Properties, then Lock Taskbar; uncheck Lock Taskbar if it is checked.

If it isnt checked, get back to me.

Rory

Thanks for the reply Rory. No my taskbar is unlocked too. This happend on my PC a year ago too. It's been like that ever since. It looks like it gives me the option and the little arrows come up to show me to pull it down but they won't let me. Is that actually an option to hve your toolbar going vertically? Thanks again

well without being there .. but once it is unlocked it should just let you move it ..

Switch theme to classic theme .. then back again ..

better yet run my tweak program and tweak it .. then untweak it ..

that will also refresh explorer and some other effects and features ..

though its meant for XP so its up to you if you want to try it ...

try disabling Active Desktop .. (not in my tweak yet)

Disable Active Desktop

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000001

And there is another key in the registry you can delete incase it got corupted ..

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects

Right-click on the folder named StuckRects (StuckRects2 in later Windows) > Delete. When you restart Windows, the deleted key will be regenerated.

lock taskbar - MAKE IT 1 to unlock it .. (not in my tweak yet either)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"TaskbarSizeMove"=dword:00000000

BTW you should just drag an empty area. .. not the section with programs or the system tray. You shouldnt get any arrows .. it should just drag.

thanks rory

if you're unsure .. also back up the registry first.

Ive never personally had to do that, even with all the editing i do in the registry .. but anything is possible ..

look for a program called CCleaner, it has an ISSUES tab which checks the registry for problems .. i use that on all PCs .. you can find it first result on google.

Then there is tweakui which has the GUI for alot of the tweaks ..

check download.com for that one.

easiest way.

just go to start, all programs, accesories, systems tools, system restore and restore it to date before the change was made.

Make sure the task bar is unlocked, then left click on the blank area to the right of the start button and drag the task bar back to the bottom of the screen.

This happens to the toolbar on my laptop all of the time. I click in the clock area of the toolbar and drag the toolbar to where I need it. Works every time.