moe

Long Range Auto Zoom Day/Night Outdoor Camera

Hi all,

I need a camera for remote viewing the outside of a condo. Particularly, to monitor a boat slip that is approximately 100-120 feet away. It's a three story complex and I'm on the third floor, so the camera will be mounted high.

I would like a zoom lens to see my slip at times and would like to be able to monitor closer parts of the dock at other times. I don't need to pan and tilt, but would like to zoom remotely, if possible. There are three light posts on this 100 foot stretch of dock, but I assume I would still need some kind of night vision.

Since it's a condo complex, I would need it to hold a low profile, yet stand up to strong winds. High picture quality is a must.

So, I came up with...

EDIT:

Since I'm new to the forum, I can't post links yet so...

I fould it at ezwatchstore[dot com] and it's called the 200AUTO

What do you think? Please give me other suggestions.

Thank you

Moe, from your other post I got the impression you want to network your application...depending on your need if you go that route with that camera bear in mind the limitations. It is OEM, RF controlled, you will have issues trying to network control that product. Perhaps you would be better off with a branded outdoor rated IP network cam with zoom capabilities. And also beware of any codes/bi laws pertaining to your condo on the fitting of hardware to your building face.

Moe, from your other post I got the impression you want to network your application...depending on your need if you go that route with that camera bear in mind the limitations. It is OEM, RF controlled, you will have issues trying to network control that product. Perhaps you would be better off with a branded outdoor rated IP network cam with zoom capabilities. And also beware of any codes/bi laws pertaining to your condo on the fitting of hardware to your building face.

Yeah, I took a look at an outdoor IP network Panasonic PTZ and it was like $1500. I figured I could get a DVR and cam for that same price.

How about a VDC540 with a zoom lens. I woud post a link, but I can't. If you google it, it's the first result, under the store named pelikancam.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Toshiba or Panasonic is a good choice, Ive used the BB-HCM371A for a client and he was happy with it, its a lot cheaper than a full blown PTZ and for your application might work, really depends on your budget , be careful buying gear, research a little, get familar with real specs and all the bs claims. There is a lot of crap out there, I understand trying to save money but go with solid branded gear that support their line. Just my 2cents.

That VDC540 will need a outdoor waterproof enclosure and if you wanna go that route there are better cam/combos on the market, check the sanyo line Ive used their VCC-XV400 (now discontinued) But they have the VCC-XZ200 with pan-focus and network board, Ive had luck with sanyo cams although a lot of people consider their line Mid-level. Really seems like you need to figure out a more definitive plan as to what route you wanna go, box, all in one, ok. Good luck

Toshiba or Panasonic is a good choice, Ive used the BB-HCM371A for a client and he was happy with it, its a lot cheaper than a full blown PTZ and for your application might work, really depends on your budget , be careful buying gear, research a little, get familar with real specs and all the bs claims. There is a lot of crap out there, I understand trying to save money but go with solid branded gear that support their line. Just my 2cents.

I'm not liking the resolution on that camera. Also, it doesn't do optical zoom.

That VDC540 will need a outdoor waterproof enclosure and if you wanna go that route there are better cam/combos on the market, check the sanyo line Ive used their VCC-XV400 (now discontinued) But they have the VCC-XZ200 with pan-focus and network board, Ive had luck with sanyo cams although a lot of people consider their line Mid-level. Really seems like you need to figure out a more definitive plan as to what route you wanna go, box, all in one, ok. Good luck

I like this one. However, I don't think 7.3mm will be enough and it has no night vision. It looks like I can mount it right to an existing junction box. Is this correct?

Moe, if you are refering to the Sanyo I suggested it can be mounted direct to a flat surface, the base is not for a standard gang box. Although it looks like it. The VCC-XV400 I used has the same enclosure as the XZ-200, the camera is rugged and has withstood a lot of harsh weather service here in Montana. It has ir cut and the D/N transition is flawless. and you can tweak the camera. You have to buy the sunshade extra if you need it. No matter what you buy 100-125 ft without a dedicated IR source is tough for a usable image.

Moe, if you are refering to the Sanyo I suggested it can be mounted direct to a flat surface, the base is not for a standard gang box. Although it looks like it. The VCC-XV400 I used has the same enclosure as the XZ-200, the camera is rugged and has withstood a lot of harsh weather service here in Montana. It has ir cut and the D/N transition is flawless. and you can tweak the camera. You have to buy the sunshade extra if you need it. No matter what you buy 100-125 ft without a dedicated IR source is tough for a usable image.

The problem is the surface I need to mount it on is vinyl siding, which is on a slight angle. I have a patio floodlight that I never use. I was hoping I could just cap the electrical wires off and pull the camera cable through there and mount the camera to the existing junction box. What do you think? Would mounting a camera close to electrical wires cause interference?

Thanks

You should avoid that idea, dont use a existing electrical box aside from the code factors and yes you can introduce noise into your feed. go with a dedicated install keep your power and video separate, clean. That camera is dual voltage so you can use either 12 or 24vac as far as the siding you can make up a template measure and shim up the difference to achive a flat surface for mounting.

[Yeah, I took a look at an outdoor IP network Panasonic PTZ and it was like $1500. I figured I could get a DVR and cam for that same price.

Think again...

I can do it but it would be at least $1500, no zoom. It would however actually work consistently.

You proably won't need optical zoom if you use a megapixel camera, they can digitally zoom very well. Basically you set the lens up to show the widest video you must have, if your subject takes up 1/4 of the frame you'll have a 640x480 image (=analog camera) of the object without zooming at all. You should easily be able to pull off x2 digital zoom, which means 1/8 of the feed will be close to 640x480.

Also with IP you can put it on a wireless link so the camera only needs power. Put it in an enclosure and mount it to the understide of your patio table. I can't see your HOA complaining about that.

You should avoid that idea, dont use a existing electrical box aside from the code factors and yes you can introduce noise into your feed. go with a dedicated install keep your power and video separate, clean. That camera is dual voltage so you can use either 12 or 24vac as far as the siding you can make up a template measure and shim up the difference to achive a flat surface for mounting.

Does that mean I can tap into that junction box for power?

Does that mean I can tap into that junction box for power?

You can but you'll need to pull all the high voltage back to the previous drop and remove the wires.

Basically it would be easier to put a LV box 12" over from it.

Your original post; "Since it's a condo complex, I would need it to hold a low profile, yet stand up to strong winds.."..... I would not be mounting any cameras to outside furniture, in so far as a power tap yes you can install a extender box to your fixture and then add a outlet, go with a gfi if not there already.

Your original post; "Since it's a condo complex, I would need it to hold a low profile, yet stand up to strong winds.."..... I would not be mounting any cameras to outside furniture, in so far as a power tap yes you can install a extender box to your fixture and then add a outlet, go with a gfi if not there already.

Since I'm going to be running coax from the inside already, I guess it would be easier to just run the power too. I reall don't want another external outlet, in addition to the camera and existing light fixture.

Yeah, and this is kind of getting away from the low profile - having another mounted box out there in addition to the existing light fixture. I remember seeing combo flood lights/ motion detector camera in one junction and I thought it would be ok to do the same.

I'm really liking that Panasonic (WV-CW374) being talked about in the another post. Unfortunately, it looks very big.

BTW, thanks guys for all of your help so far. Sorry for the constant questions.

Dont put low voltage in the same conduit/junction boxes as high voltage, especially not Video. Keep the wiring and other video hardware at least 1' away from high voltage.

Dont put low voltage in the same conduit/junction boxes as high voltage, especially not Video. Keep the wiring and other video hardware at least 1' away from high voltage.

Thank you. Can you please give me some more camera recommendations for my application.

Thanks again.

found via google the KTC-ZP-DN camera with 23x zoom.

Anyone experiences with this camera?

They have some new cameras coming out within the next month so I would hang off and see if the Zoom camera is replaced with the new technology .. it will be better if it is.