megavolt512

Need to get mjpeg video off Nuvico DVR....

Newly installed Nuvico NVJV-4000n - with mjpeg compression (according to the Nuvico docs).

System has worked! I have footage of the "problem" we were plagued with. Now I need to give the police a CD with the video on it.

What to do now? When I use the download feature on the Nuvico software I get a file with a .CMS suffix. Their literature says the NVJV series uses MJPEG compression. I've tried a couple of shareware utilites to try and read (and convert) this CMS file... but none recognize it as MJPEG.

Any ideas? If I can't send this to the police, it's virtually worthless.

I'm not familiar with Nuvico but most dvr's have a usb port that you can plug in a stick into to download your file to. The dvr will download the client viewer software automatically, so you can view it.

I work in the computer field, but have been doing alot of research on dvr's and it seems to me that you can only view the video through the software they provide.

The .CMS file is a Content Management System extension. I haven't looked but there may be some type of plugin to view it in other viewers.

Also, short of giving them the DVR software to play it back with, you could play it back on your PC and use something like Cam Studio to record the screen, save that as an AVI file and send that to them.

I havent used the Nuvico DVRs yet so cant say anything more on that.

Most PC based DVRs will give you options such as what you require, or record direct to AVI (still requiring minor conversion or codecs on their PC), but seems Stand alone Non PC DVRs typically are a lot more difficult in this regard.

To summarize the responses, yes you have two options

1) Do as Rory said, use Camtasia screen capture program to allow you to play on any computer via windows media player

2) I have installed more than 30 nuvico DVR's. Especially JV series; you use a usb pen drive to copy the video segment. Nuvico DVR will copy player software automatically along with the selected video segment. That should solve all the problem

Some dvr manufacturer make a program that will do what you want. File Converter is an application software to convert image files (.eye, .rec, .re3) created by network camera, video server or DVR into standard files for playback on media players (avi, etc.) Check your dvr makers website to see if they offer this. Some do. As I said before, I'm not familiar with Nuvico, but I would assume they would. That would save you buying software that would otherwise be free for you to use.

Just had another "incident" last night. I have footage good enough for identification. I can save a snapshop (jpeg still image), but I can NOT use Camstudio. I tried it and the video portion is blank!

Camstudio documentation says to turn off hardware acceleration. Unfortunately, neither the Nuvico DVR Player, nor the mini-player will run with hardware acceration off.

This is really bad. I hope others deciding on a system to buy heed this warning: investigate the export/output functions of the dvr. Cops don't have time for you to lug in your DVR and monitor. They want a DVD or Video CD. I can't believe security DVR's are made without an export function to standard formats (mjpeg, avi, etc.). I'm screwed.

Wish I'd gotten a Geovision card instead.

I have a Panasonic WJ-HD 316 from which I can transfer video and audio out via RCA jacks to a VHS tape. The unit also has an S-video out that I connect to a Plextor ConverteX, model PX M402U. The Plextor came with two sets of software or programs. On one disk is InterVideo WinDVD Creator and WinDVD 5. The other disk contains VideoStudio 8. By using the Plextor ConverteX model PX M402U, via the S-Video out on the DVR , I can burn DVD’s or CD’s that will play back on Windows Media Player or the for mentioned programs for the police.

I’ve never used any of the Nuvico DVR’s. However, I looked at a Brochure for the Nuvico model you have. The Brochure shows that your unit has an S-video out which leads me to believe you can do the same. By the way, the Plextor was about a $100.00 including the programs.

The one thing I have tried, when it comes to saving video from a "strange" source, was to import the video into Windows Movie Maker. Once in Windows Movie Maker, I have always had the Video CD able to play on regular PC . I have made Video CD's for my local Sheriff to play on his office PC. In a couple of Video CD's I also put music on them, to break the boredome of watching residential thievery. I found the "Sanford & Son" theme online, in MP3 format. Worth a try.

Maybe I'm just naive on this. But it seems being able to export the video would be a minimum requirement for a "security" DVR. I can transfer video off my cell phone easier than this.

I can believe it's considered acceptible to make a security DVR without a means to share/export video.

I'll look into the Plexor unit mentioned.

Just had another "incident" last night. I have footage good enough for identification. I can save a snapshop (jpeg still image), but I can NOT use Camstudio. I tried it and the video portion is blank!

Camstudio documentation says to turn off hardware acceleration. Unfortunately, neither the Nuvico DVR Player, nor the mini-player will run with hardware acceration off.

This is really bad. I hope others deciding on a system to buy heed this warning: investigate the export/output functions of the dvr. Cops don't have time for you to lug in your DVR and monitor. They want a DVD or Video CD. I can't believe security DVR's are made without an export function to standard formats (mjpeg, avi, etc.). I'm screwed.

Wish I'd gotten a Geovision card instead.

Ive used CamStudio with Kalatel/GE DVRs, which works, but never used the Nuvicos.

Maybe I'm just naive on this. But it seems being able to export the video would be a minimum requirement for a "security" DVR. I can transfer video off my cell phone easier than this.

I can believe it's considered acceptible to make a security DVR without a means to share/export video.

I'll look into the Plexor unit mentioned.

you'd think right?

Actually it used to be that only high end stand alone units gave some export/PC options, now though most of the mid level DVRs will have export features similar to even Geos .. not quite the same but similar. Most budget units still dont though, however some are doing it now. Even GE DVR's export options arent great either, even with it being considered a high end DVR, hence why I had to use CamStudio.

Somehow, I think we are missing something here. I can‘t imagine a company like Nuvico not providing a way to copy and/or play back video via other means. Therefore, I would like to add to what I mentioned above regarding the Panasonic DVR.

The Pano came with software that you put on your computer for viewing live and captured video over LAN or WAN. The software also includes a player for viewing captured video. From this installed software, you just copy the video clip or clips to a CD, or HD disk on your computer, plus, a copy of the player. Once the video clips and player are copied to a CD or disk, just click on the player, select the (file) or (clip), and play the video via the player. Simply, the player is the means of playing the video stored on the CD, or your computer HD.

Rory’s comment about CamStudio is also something of interest. I am going to download and play with that later today.

Hopefully, I am understanding your question correctly and my comments help?

Somehow, I think we are missing something here. I can‘t imagine a company like Nuvico not providing a way to copy and/or play back video via other means. Therefore, I would like to add to what I mentioned above regarding the Panasonic DVR.

No, you understand mostly. Nuvico does come with a stand-alone player. It is very crude: just play and pause. It will only read their "cms" format files. No reverse. Slow motion. etc.

Sounds good - but I can tell you from first hand experience the cops want a DVD, VHS cassette, or Video CD they can pop in the player. From there they can pause, take stills, etc.

I went online and downloaded the player for your unit. You are right. The player is really lacking functions. Hopefully, my other solution or someone else’s will bring better results.

I went online and downloaded the player for your unit. You are right. The player is really lacking functions. Hopefully, my other solution or someone else’s will bring better results.

This was sure a learning process for me. I've never submitted video to law enforcement before. From all the Crime shows on TV it's easy to get the impression they can do anything with video files. And, I'm sure if you had footage of someone breaking into the White House they would indeed extract-convert-enhance, etc. everything they could.

But for most cases, you'd better make it easy on them. "I can just plug this into a DVD... right?" was the response I got from the cop I handed the disk to.

I love my Plextor. It will record to Divx also. Go to Tigerdirect and check the Plextor system out. There is even a $50 rebate on it right now, until the end of the month. I use mine all the time. You're just going to have to capture the video in a format that is readable by regular PC or DVD player. That is why I bought my Plextor hardware encoder from Tigerdirect.

My newest DVD player ($50) for home will play DIVX encoded movies, so should most newer DVD players. You can take the output from the DVR right to the Plextor Encoder ($50 Tigerdirect) with normal cable, and encode either to CDR or PC hard drive. Divx, I found out, compresses more than MPEG-4, and I love the playback in Divx. Putting all my home movies in Divx format . Can make a 10 minute video in Divx and put it on inexpensive CDR in half an hour.

IF you can access your nuvico through the web via dvrhost dot c o m you can download the files to any computer, view them and take stills. The first time you log into the site from a computer - it will install a local dvrplayer onto your computer and you can view the files which you download from any computer with web access.

A little late but I needed to do this today for the first time. On Nuvico's site you can d/l their "DVR Mini Player" off the "Download Software" link. Select the dvr model you have and you should be presented with a list of s/w to d/l. Copy that program onto the CD along with the .CMS video file and anyone can view the file with that program.

Nuvico is in the US but still Korean, if you call you will see, but they are usually helpful. Like the everybody else learn by doing, now you know to research the DVR before going.. I know the hard way too!

So the staff are Korean too?

I realize some of their product is from Korea.

I never call tech support from any company, if she dont work, she get chucked away then I move on