kao

Taxi Cab Camera

Ok... when I was out at ISC West in LV, I noticed that EVERY taxi cab I got into had a camera mounted to the rear-view mirror.

Most of them looked self-contained for recording and the only cable I saw looked to be for power.

I have a couple of cabbies looking this kind of setup, but dont want a full function dvr installed...just a picture taker. Preferably to memory card.

Can anyone point me to a brand or dealer or model number or anything for these types of cameras?

Plz post or PM me.

Ok... when I was out at ISC West in LV, I noticed that EVERY taxi cab I got into had a camera mounted to the rear-view mirror.

Most of them looked self-contained for recording and the only cable I saw looked to be for power.

I have a couple of cabbies looking this kind of setup, but dont want a full function dvr installed...just a picture taker. Preferably to memory card.

Can anyone point me to a brand or dealer or model number or anything for these types of cameras?

Plz post or PM me.

There is a company out there called Drivecam that makes self-contained camera/recording devices that attach near the rear-view mirror and have one camera facing forward and a fisheye facing into the cabin. Their recording is something like 30 seconds before and 30 seconds after an 'event'. An event can be an impact greater than a threshold g-force, or it can be when the driver presses a button on the device itself. The number of events that can be recorded is something like 128. I'm not totally sure of that, but that's what get from their website.

They are focused on fleet customers and won't even talk to consumers - I've tried - but a taxi fleet could get their attention. Best I could figure was they ran about $700 each, and you needed to have a central download server.

What I'm thinking is that if the driver reaches up and presses a button on the camera as the passengers get in then it will record at least 30 second of the passenger's face. Also, if robbed (and the driver has the presence of mind) then he can press the button after the robber leaves and will get the 30 seconds before the button was pressed.

Finally, the primary benefit of the drivecam is to record car accidents, triggered automatically by impact forces.

I wonder how configurable the drivecam is - maybe it can be hooked up so that the opening of either rear door will trigger an even and record for a minute.

The bus system in vegas has cameras on them and when the police cars are next to them, they can tap into the video feed and view activity as needed! I would imagine there is something similar for the taxi service there!

Not sure what brand product they are using...

Im looking for a discreet cam with local recording ie sd card, which takes pics on motion

To be mounted in a tree or guide post to pick up Illegal dumpers and the like,

A guy wants one for a gate as the kids keep SUpergluing the locks (200 security lock)

LOL