Arockerdude

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 P4M800PRO-M V2 Motherboard

I'm thinking about buying this Processor and Motherboard. Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 and a P4M800PRO-M V2 Motherboard. The price together $180. Will this processor and motherboard make a good system for my Geo800 System? I like how I can use my old AGP card. And I think my Memory also. Hopefully it has a PCI Exspress slot I'm still checking the specs.

Does this sound like a good choice. The price sounds pretty goo to me. How do the specs and compatibility with the Geo system look to you guys? Is there a better choice for around this price?

Right now I am using an older model Pentium 4 2.3 mhz. with HT. I'm hoping this will speed thing up a bit.

Thanks Dave

You might look at a better brand, not real crazy about ECS. Try Asus and Abit, well worth it.

Onboard video is offten IMO the best so don't buy a nicce video card for this thing. The Intel GMA950 + have worked great in many many systems for me.

Ive been using the following Asus Motherboard recently, building a home PC with it right now actually, also just sent one down to the out islands with this mobo. Recently built a GV1120 system with this and using onboard video, works great. The PCI express card will give you the higher quality live video though if using the DVI video port.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=194&model=1320&modelmenu=1

As to the Core Duo Processor, im building one right now with the 2.6 Ghz Core 2 (E6700), otherwise P4 3.2 processors typically work fine for a DVR and would itself be a huge upgrade in speed to what you have now. I see the E6300 listed at $199 online, not sure if its worth the extra cost for what we do.

Im putting 2x1GB of this memory in this home PC:

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=348

But 1GB Value Ram is normally fine.

Bottom line, dont go cheap on the Motherboard for a clients PC/DVR, its not worth it. The Asus P5L-MX is still pretty inexpensive, compared to other Asus boards, but its more than say some MSIs, ECS, or Biostar, and well worth the extra few dollars. You really do notice the difference in quality of the hardware.

Thanks Rory. The reason I was asking about the ECS board. Is it comes with the E6300 Processor for $176. And it says I can use my AGP card that I just bought. I think my old memory also. Sounds like a good deal dosnt it? Dave

I have been using a ECS board for years, never let me down...

But that board, from a google search appears to be using VIA chipsets, and via is the kiss of death with GEO if I recall correctly, but it is far to early in the morning for my head to work properly

Kensplace. Yaa your right on the Via. I picked it up today at Fry's. Iv' e been looking at it. And it has the Via chipset I'm going to try it anyway. If it doesn't work I will get a different Board. I got the Board and Processor for $179. The board was kind of a throw in. I see the processor is going for $199 everywhere else. The thing I liked about this board is that I was going to be able to just swap over my old memory and AGP card. I will let you guy's no how it go's. Any suggestions on a replacement board would be great. Thanks for the help. Dave

Ps what were the problems with Via chip set. So I can keep an eye out for them. I hope it's not total system crash.

On second thought. I dont think the I'll try the Via chipset board. Not worth the trouble. I'll store it in the closet.

Has anyone tried Geovision with the ATI chipset? Dave

I have tried a couple of the ATI chipsets, and neither of them have worked. I would recommend sticking with the Intel standard chipsets, 945, 965 and 975.

Looks like I can only get the memory from Muskin.com But they have the best price anyway. That Asus board sounds good too. Asus sure has a lot of boards to choose from. Would it be good idea to spend a little more and get even a lttle better Asus board? Or is the ASUS P5L-MX the best one to go with? Dave

Ive been buying from Directron lately .. they have all those parts.

One other thing i use though they dont have is the Antec 3 speed LED fan .. i get them here though, I use one for the front and one for the CPU cone .. the case comes with 1x 120mm. Setup like that, the CPUs run in the 30's without AC and in all this heat

i use this smaller mobo as i use the Antec mini case. If you need Raid I would go with a bigger mobo.

i've never assembled a dvr pc, but over the years i have assembled many pc's for may other things and i've yet to have any issues with asus motherboards. always well worth the additional cash, which isn't typically that much more anyway..

Rory I realized I should take my time and do this right. I know a seperate system is recommended for the Geo System. But I am just about getting away with using one Pc now. The only time I really have trouble is when I work with my digital pictures. I have about 35 Gigs. of digital photos. I’m hoping with the upgrade I will have enough speed to get away with just having one computer. I do have the Intel Core2 Duo E6300 Ty 1.8 GHZ. @1066. So that’s my start. I’m starting to wonder if I should return the E6300 for the one up on the processor.

Not sure if I need Raid. I'm not sure what Raid is. But I take it the P5L-MX Board does not have Raid. The PSL-MX says it has Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. Does that mean it has on board graphics? Because I do want some good on board graphics.

Also I would like to get a full size Asus board. I'm trying to figure out which one. Do you have any boards in mind? Thanks Dave

Yes it has onboard graphics. Ive used that, also this one I just built has a ATI X1300 pro PCIe Card .. not bad .. but ill tell you, the Core 2 Duo 2.6 doesnt seem much faster than a P4 3.2 if you ask me .. definately not anymore than a 3.4 pentium D ... but costs outrageously more ..! Anyway I guess cause its a new CPU .. also Nortons (the client uses that arghh!!!) puts the CPU at 100% alot .. darn Nortons .. otherwise everything else opens and runs fast as should. Though to be honest I have a Noisy Seagate 250GB Sata, im going to image it tomorrow and swap it for a Western Digital 250 sata locally .. this one is just too noisy .. one thing i noticed when i partitioned it as I normally do, it was much slower, however thats not the case with the P4 .. anyway I had to make 1 single NTFS partition to get the full speed for some reason .. been working on it all day and night so cant count how many times its been reformated this way or that .. to come to that conclusion ..

Also, tried the overclocking feature built into the Asus Bios .. the system didnt like it .. locked up in different configurations before even getting into Windows ... I may have simply needed a larger PSU (which i do have here also) but I want to stay at 350 for this one .. and all the client uses it for is Email really. The 2GB Mushkin memory doesnt seem to feel a whole lot more than 1GB Corsair Value Memory .. at least its not that noticeable. That said, I dont normally install ALL of the Norton applications on PCs I build/setup, in fact I never use Nortons at all now, but the client likes and uses them for some reason; and they are all very memory and CPU intensive.

Ill give you some more feedback when i get the new HDD in and delivered.

If you have some cash to burn, you could look at a larger Asus board and add 4GB of DDR2 something like the 800 type, but thats alot of $$ right now .. add a Quad Core and ba da bing .. LOL .. Personally Id stick with the P4 3.2 or PD 3.4-3.6 for now, unless you are going with the Core 2 Duo 2.6 like this one, or the Quad Core (big $$), as I cant imagine the lower Core 2's being worth their price tag either, right now.

Dont mind me though, im a speed freak .. but no way im going to risk fully over clocking a clients $600 CPU anyway!

rory

Dont know about the intel boards, but i was looking at this Asus one earlier tonight .. 965 chipset .. good reviews which is important. $185 though. Does Pentium as well as Core 2 Duo and Quad Core.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&model=1295&modelmenu=1

Then there was this one .. but i think the 975 is overkill right now .. $250

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=248&model=1341&modelmenu=1

So on the first bord. Is there no fan needed? I could take back this mini typhoon and that would make up the price difference. Does the first one have video on the board? Also is it just me or is there no VGA plug on that board. Dave

No fan? It still needs the CPU Cooler (fan/heatsink) though stock should suffice, get a case with the CPU shute and place a fan on that blowing air into the case onto the CPU .. nice and cool .. i ordered a high speed thermaltake CPU cooler and its sitting right here on the floor now, was nice and fast and cool but too loud .. i put the stock Intel cooler back on the CPU and added an antec 3 speed fan (with LEDs) on the cases CPU shute and both the P4 and the Core 2 Duo stayed in the 30's with no A/C ..

I wish I could just "take" things back

I doubt it has onboard video if thats what you are asking.

Have been looking at a ton of things tonight, this was just one of them ..

2 of the Antech SLK-1650Bs came with damaged top panels so i was also looking for replacements for those panels ..

I think that P5B Deluxe is a nice general board from the first looks .. as it would work with Pentium 4's, D's, Core 2's, and Quad Cores. Maybe would want to go with a larger case for that one, and do SCSI Raid. I know nothing of Raid yet though so ill be learning that one.

I think ill build one of these with 8GB of Dual channel DDR2-1066 Memory and a Quad Core CPU .. what you think?

I wish. Too much $$ for me. I think I'm going to get the Intel Board DG965WH $135 at Fry's tomorrow. And 2 Gig of DDR2 The fast 800mhz.

Heck if they make good processors. You would think they would make good motherbords to go with them.

I will see what Asus boards they have when I get there. But when I called today the guy said none of there Asus boards had the on board graphics. Also this way I don't have too pay shipping and wait . Also it's easier to take back if I have a problem with it. It should be a big improvement over my old P4 with 2 GB of DDR400 mem. Don't you think? Dave

Here is the one I'm looking at. http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboard/index.htm?iid=prod_desk+sc_board

true .. what about the CPU?

I dont see that 1.8 E6300 being that fast, considering the speed of this E6700 ..