Scruit

Camera that can see the driver of a car...

I know the police use them for those speed cameras that look at the driver...

I would like to put up a camera right next to my driveway that would capture an image of the driver of any car that enters my driveway. Would need to work day and night.

Would a standard IR bullet be able to see 'through' glass, or would it just see the reflection of it's own IR?

Has anyone here done this before?

a regular camera will do it, I did it at a secu booth a few years back using vandal domes, just color domes, nothing special. Though occasionally it would not work, those times it would have been better with a WDR camera, also requires alot of light.

Hmmm....

So, what about this... I take the camera that is in my car - it's a 480TVL indoor box camera with auto iris and an external IR filter... And I install it in an enclosure outside on a fence post and have it looking at the driver's window of any car that enters the driveway. I can remove the IR filter to allow it to work with an IR illuminator at night. I don't mind if the foliage color is off. It should give me a good color image during the day, and work with the IR at night. I'd just need to run an RG59 and 12v power out to the fence post.

Does RG59 have to be specially rated for direct bury, or can you bury any Rg59? It'd have to cover about 100'

Then I can get a better camera for inside the car.

we use regular PVC conduit down here, direct bury cable is expensive and hard to come by around here.

Well, I must be doing something wrong here, because when I aim a camcorder at the driver's windows of my car all I can see if a reflection of the sky - the driver is too dark. I would need shine a really bright light in to the car to see the driver.

I wonder how police speed cameras do it..?

Well, I must be doing something wrong here, because when I aim a camcorder at the driver's windows of my car all I can see if a reflection of the sky - the driver is too dark. I would need shine a really bright light in to the car to see the driver.

I wonder how police speed cameras do it..?

Catch it at an angle for starters ...

Polarization filters, you can see through shiney stuff like glass and water. Not the easiest thing to set up one shot though, so I kinda doubt it's something you'll want to do for fun. As a product though it's not as big a deal to spend a couple thousand on various filters to match your camera. You could get lucky though, might ask soneone at your local photography place.

Meh, I can see where this is going. More touble than it's worth, and certainly more $$$ than it's worth in my application.

Thanks anways.

Dude you built a functional LPR cam for like $50, don't quit that easy. I pro photographer may well be able to put you spot on, or let you test in their studio.

Darnit, you had to go an say that...

Ok, I have a circular polatizer filter, and I've found it's only really effective at 45deg from the glass, but when it's effective it's VERY effective.

I'm going to set up an experiment with a camcorder/filter to see if a single setting of the polarizer will continue to work under varying light conditions. Stay tuned.

I set up the camcorder and pointed it at the car. Got the same result as last time, just a reflection of the sky. The pink paper taped to the outside ont he right edge of the pic proves the reflection is being captured.

20070623_poltest1_B-1.jpg

Now, I put my circular polarizing filter on the camera and adjusted it for best effect.

20070623_poltest1_A-1.jpg

Note that you cannot see the reflection of the sky or the pink paper, and you can just make out the pink paper taped to the headrest inside - not visible in the before pic.

Interesting results...

make them put the window down .. install a fake gate buzzer or something ..

make them put the window down .. install a fake gate buzzer or something ..

Works just like my STOP THIEF signs

have you tried an IR spot light aimed at the car -it will go through the glass

and out do the reflection in most cases [yes in the day time also]

I have gone down the polarising path and cars have many of types of glass and tinting that will keep you busy.

my 2c