protecvideo

Fiber seperating two schools

We're doing a job for a elementry school and a jr high that are acrosse the street from each other. 5 years ago they ran fiber from one school to the other for all their computers and data to get from one school to the other. We have installed a PTZ and cameras on both buildings and have located the DVR at the elementry next to all their servers. We originally though it was CAT5 joining the two schools together but now that its Fiber i am trying to set up a solution for them. I have never worked with Fiber so any help would be appeciated.

From what i see it looks like switchers at each end of the schools running CAT5 out to all the classrooms. What information do i need to gather to fgure out how to get PTZ video and control from one school to the school across the street? They said they had open switches for fiber to go across the street but i just want to gather all necessary info before I talk to them on tues. Thanks

consider using http://www.maxstream.net for your PTZ control. They have a wireless RS converter that works great. transmitter at the DVR building and a recceive at each PTZ.

Video? run it on the fiber.............and in order to talk the talk on the fiber link you'll need to get the model numbers of the terminating equipment so you can figure out the connections. sounds to me that the fiber link is a RJ45 termination point? That will allow you to use IP PTZ's and all your worries are easy.........just make sure you match the IP PTZ's with the right recorder.

the 2 schools should be connected by 2 routers\switches -GBit if you can.

could use IP cams or video servers and put the video over the wire then whole system, is flexible.

The DVR might have a network connection that can control the PTZ cams

my 2c

I ordered Geovison video server. I am going to get the two cameras (analog cameras) that are on the one side of the school (without the recorder) onto the network and link them into the DVR. From the SPecs nd what i've been told this should work and work well. If not we'll go the fiber route. For those of you who own a CCTV business you know how it is when you have no choice but to make it work. Thanks for all the feedback and VST Man thanks for the link. Will defenitly try it if this don't work. Thanks

If you already have the analog PTZs you should look at the Geovision video server. It supports 2 cameras, PTZ, 4 I and 4 O.

Only problem with that is you are limited to controlling the PTZ's through Geo software, not on a keyboard controller, why not just use a 485 ---> Ethernet Converter at one end and a Ethernet ---> 485 converter at the other.

Or use a 485 ---> Fibre Coverter at the DVR end and then convert back from Fibre ----> 485 at the other.

This way if you ever change from Geo, you can still control the PTZ via the keyboard.

Depending on the PTZ type you could use a webserver that has that inbuilt protocol.