metafizx

is this an impossible system ?

Hi -

So is this the impossible system or what ?

I have a friend that wants to setup an IP Wireless Camera system that can see license plates on cars (about 30 feet away, on approx 30deg angle), night or day. And have a fairly wide field of view (say 50-60deg).

1 camera to monitor outside on the garage, and 1 camera to monitor inside. The outside camera is the one that would read license plates of cars going by. I'm not too worried about the indoor camera.

additionally, record to a PC (luxriot or something), using motion detection to conserve disk space.

The wireless is a 802.11G standard router and has to go across a home w/ stucco and glass doors out to a garage with cars, etc. So the signal isnt really great (1 or 2 bars on my laptop).

I was considering the Arecont megapixel camera but I think the bandwidth it requires would not work on the wireless.

So my questions are, what kind of network camera would you recommend ? any other suggestions to make this system work ?

would it be better to have a high end CCTV cam & network DVR sitting on the net in the garage, to capture locally ? and access the DVR over the wireless?

thanks in advance..

I read a thread on wireless IP systems in this forum, and looks like I should convert to a 5Ghz AP for starters.

your no plate cam should not be wide-angle but just the width of your driveway from any distance . A wide angle overview cam also -throw in some IR to light the plates up and for night use.

54G wifi link should handle your camera. I would suggest a high gain antenna pointing at your shed as WIFI drops the speed down to 1Mb or so if you have poor signal. [you could use pre-N WIFI also] small 2.4Ghz 12DBi pane should do it.

no benefit for 5ghz unless you have interference or want to be more stealthy

but running WPA\AES encryption will be fine.

my 2c

hi ,

thanks for the reply.

I am considering a Axis 221 cam, not megapixel, but with the progressive scan CCD and MJPEG compression it should be pretty cool.

I am running the wireless through a Engenius E3220 bridge to a standard wireless router (linksys). the camera is connected to the E3220.

You are right the link is weak and getting about 1 Mbps throughput, a far cry from the blazing 54 Mbps that I'd like to get a chunk of.

So putting a good antenna should help a lot...thanks.

if you are using a camera with IR, make sure that camera has a mechanical IR cut filter removal. As the camera needs this removed during IR use. The ACTi CAM-5220 works well for this application.

if you are using a camera with IR, make sure that camera has a mechanical IR cut filter removal. As the camera needs this removed during IR use. The ACTi CAM-5220 works well for this application.

hi, yes thanks. I got the Axis 221 which has the IR Cut filter.

I just posted about this camera, it is giving me problems...

update, I put in a Axis 221 with AI/IR 2.8-12mm Computar lens.

Works pretty good, but still wrestling with exposure/camera settings.

I can see license plates in certain lighting and settings, but it is very difficult to get a "perfect" setting for all lighting conditions.

I reduced the exposure to 1/15th and cut back on the contrast & brightness this helped to keep the license plate from getting washed out.

basically it's a lighting/exposure nightmare to cover all cases from bright sunlight to IR dark.

ideally there needs to be a camera that has specific settings for various lighting conditions.

You sooo should have gone with an Arecont 3130, it would do this out of the box.

They 3130s will also work over wifi, however 1 camera swamps the radio.

You sooo should have gone with an Arecont 3130, it would do this out of the box.

They 3130s will also work over wifi, however 1 camera swamps the radio.

yeah I know...I wanted to use this cam, but since the guy insisted on wireless, I had to go with lower res.

it's working pretty good now...I told him that if he wants better, then we have to have a wired setup, and get off the wireless.