cpeonline

Found: VideoProtein Browser Based Linux IP Software Solution

VidoeProtein, Linux built, competely browser based IP software solution that I have tested and seen. Runs as a web service (web services 2.0 think Google & You Tube, this blog) anywhere on the network. Works in Internet Explorer, Firefox & Safari on Mac's. Open LDAP compliant. Completely hardware indpendent. VideoProtein V3.1 was built to scale to 1000's of cameras and locations. Since it runs as a web service it's a thin client (skinny) No software to download to any PC's. Nice. Fully featured all in a web browser.

Don't get me wrong I like lots of software out there, but I haven't seen any company in this space with the vision these guys have. Truly scalable all in a broswer. And LINUX

It's open platform not open source. Still cost me money. But well worth it because of all the intgeration points. Will integrate to just about anything IP.

You mean to tell me if I buy one and look over it they did not use a single piece of open software but they are using Linux not Unix?

Charging $ is really irrelevent, they are providing hardware and service. Really you can sell Ubuntu diskd for $20 each if you like. If they used any GPL software they have to provide the chnages to the source. Just like Linksys was forced to.

Really though I see no DVRs on their site, no tech data...

Almost appears as though video is 100% off-site.

$29.95 for up to 2 IP Cameras - 2 Users - 5MB of storage. One time set up fee of $14.95 per location.

OMG!

The version that is listed on their website is not what we are using. We called them and talked to them about the web hosted model, they stated that they are no longer doing that model because it is not profitable, the cost per customer aquisition is still not low enough from the bandwidth side (hosting). After it was explained to me I understood. The version we use and resell is their new version (I think version 3.1.1 or something like that) in any case they said their new website should be up soon to help explain. So all there are selling is a corporate version that is based on a site license. The reason we like it so much is because it's about the New Web 2.0. All based on web services, meaning that your software(theirs)can reside anywhere on your network. Any NVR's (which in my case is a simple Dell Optiplex 745 about $700 with no OS from Dell, I install my own version of Linux FREE no Windows XP server license!!) and that can sit locally or remotely. It can scale very nicely and easliy and their dashboard/UI is the best I have seen, completely customiziable.

The guy I deal with over there is really cool. His name is Paul.

cpeonline,

Do you work for this company or know somebody who does?

People here are too smart, and get very suspicious, of a new member immediately posting rave review about a newly found product.

Yes I actually do know someone at VideoProtein, no need to get suspicious. A friend of mine who I sold telecom services to years ago who I just reconnected with about a year sold me back. I also resell the other software guys too. I know how the other software guys are set up and none of them are what these guys can do (all my opinion of course). Just trying to help spread the good word. I'm not saying it's the best solution, just my favorite.

Yes they sell software, browser based just means nothing to download. Just like YouTube and Google they are a Web 2.0 company in their distributed architecture. Again my opinion, this is a company that has gotten it correct in it's design.

There is always something that needs to be installed, it cant work without it.

There is always something that needs to be installed, it cant work without it.

Of course, once the main application is installed on the your webserver your done then all your outlying nodes or locations just run a thin (skinny) version of what happening from the web server. That web server can reside anywhere on your network. Those outlying NVR's then make requests back to the webserver asking for jobs or tasks to do (record, motion detect, analytics, etc) The design is very simplistic and efficient and very cost effective. I can hang 80 cameras off of one box, the challange is how much to you want to store and for how long.

cpeonline, could you PM me an IP address and login details to a demo site, or post some screen shots.

Thanks