Electric Strike Installations

I have installed Mag Locks but I am working on a job that requires Electric strikes into a hollow metal framed door. These will be the first I have done. Are these difficult to do? Can anyone offer some advice, tip, links or general help with Strike installations?

Thanks.

501 We do them all the time the trick is to get the right strike for the door depth.

1. Trace with a awl and free hand cut with a jig saw on your marks and your ready to go.

2. Drill at the top of the door frame just like for door switches drop the wire down the track or drill through the frame into the wall drop the wire like a keypad and fish it out in the dooe frame.

Makes nice looking installs for prehung doors or get your wire in before the door frame goes up.

Thanks for the info. I have a few more questions:

Currently, they have just regular door knobs with no lock, along with dead bolts. If we put the strikes on the door knob latch, it will always be able to be opened unless we install new door knobs (14 of them), can the strikes be used on the dead bolts? This way the dead bolt would stay locked all the time and if the strike was locked the door is locked?

No the strikes will not work with dead bolts they must be used with a standard door that will lock from the inside. You will also need to meet NFPA CODE 101 for egress. All doors will have to have auto request to exit or be opened with one hand or break bar that opens no longer than 15 seconds and unlock by the FIRE ALARM ACTIVATION.

PLEASE PEOPLE READ AND KNOW THE CODES BEFORE BIDDING OR DOING ACCESS CONTROL. IF CODE IS NOT FOLLOWED AND SOMETHING HAPPENS YOU WILL BE HELD LIABLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS.

This is not directed at anyone but just a notice for those new or DO IT YOURSELF people. I have worked in the Fire Service (24 years) and the Alarm Service (20 years) and see things all the time done cheap or just to make a quick buck. It is not cheap to do jobs buy code but lives are saved when jobs done by code.

I'm pretty new at installing any kind of strikes. What I have done is take a few pictures of the door frame and door and emailed them to our supplier and they have sent me the correct equipment - strike, power supply, cabinet, etc...

So far its worked out pretty well that way.

In the future tho, I may sub a locksmith to do the physical door install while I do the wiring and such. At this point its not a big enough part of our business that I feel like investing in new tools or training for our guys.

We are getting into access control more and more and I don't want to do anything with the actual door. I have a locksmith who I sub to. We run the wire and such but I want to limit my liability and he has a whole van full of tools I don't have to own.

Just a follow up. We did the system with 13 doors and instaled 13 strikes and it went great. Customer is happy and systems running good. It was a bit of a nice change from CCTV and good to have learned. We'll take on more jobs for sure, in fact we have another access job next week.

You are in, and attracting attention all at the same time! I would be afraid of all of the "pyro" watchers showing up to watch the flames, while I am trying to make my great escape!