Scruit

Example Videos

Could someone post a couple sample video/stills showing the kind of quality that the higher model DVRs get (Panasonic, GE, Pelco etc) so i can compare the image quality with my CPCam.

This is a CPCam CPD576W 9ch.

I'll start with a couple of stills:

71793_2.jpg

This is a CPCam 480tvl IR "night vision" (not true) day/night camera. Yes, that is an RC plane that's about to hit my Barn.

93403_6.jpg

This is a BW name-brand (don't recall the name) 520tvl camera with a Fujinon varifocal fixed-iris lens set at 60mm, and an 850NM IR-pss filter. Supported by an 850NM IR illuminator from Panvigor

62141_1.jpg

This is another CPCam (not true) day/night in night mode. I know I need to reduce the IR to prevent washout- I'm gonna do that this weekend. This watch pitch black outside.

62141_2.jpg

Same camera, but in the daytime.

62141_3.jpg

Same type of camera (cpcam), different lcoation.

62141_4.jpg

93403_5.jpg

Both of these from a cheap no-name bullet camera, 4 years old, 1/3" Sharp CCD sensor.

These images were all captured by playing back the video onthe DVR, then capturing the image in 720x??? resolution using a TV Tuner card.

Show me how much better the image quality would be if I sent the extra $$$...

baker.jpg

p.s. if you dont have a excellent picture to begin with you wont record an excellent picture in the end.

baker.jpg

p.s. if you dont have a excellent picture to begin with you wont record an excellent picture in the end.

What is the resolution of the camera taking that image? And what kind of DVR / resolution recorded it.

I can tell there is a hugh difference between the quality of the live image and the playback image in my DVR - I'm wondering the the recording resolution is 640x244 or thereabouts, instead of full D1/4CIF. Not really much point is me worring about 480tvl/520tvl etc if the DVR is only recording 244 lines of vertical resolution.

However every DVR I've seen that advertises good framerates (like the $1000 Geovision 8/12 port card that claim 480fps = but that 480 fps at CIF. I think that's closer to 120fps at full D1.

My DVR (CPCam CPD576W) has an option where it maxes out the framerate on the channels that have alarm/motion and lets the other cameras drop to 1fps. That was the action is smoother until 3 or 4 cameras get involved. Still only has 25fps total though, so when just one channel has action it's still kinda stuttery. Works ok for what I'm doing right now, but the recording resolution is worrying me - CPCam doesnt' publish it's recording resolution.

My DVR (CPCam CPD576W) has an option where it maxes out the framerate on the channels that have alarm/motion and lets the other cameras drop to 1fps. That was the action is smoother until 3 or 4 cameras get involved. Still only has 25fps total though, so when just one channel has action it's still kinda stuttery. Works ok for what I'm doing right now, but the recording resolution is worrying me - CPCam doesnt' publish it's recording resolution.

Most DVRs today have Smart Motion Detection Recording .. meaning it will provide max amount of frames available to all cameras with active motion detection.

I loved the video on utube where your tractor blows up while you are riding it! LOL! I really felt for you!

panasonic 300 series dvr and wv-np1004 hybrid camera ran off the coax output (obviously)

panasonic 300 series dvr and wv-np1004 hybrid camera ran off the coax output (obviously)

Is that image captured from the playback, or live?

Plus, when I browsed the retail price on that DVR I cam up with a number that is 8 times higher than my existing DVR - which begs the question; "Is that image 8x better?"

Is that image captured from the playback, or live?

Plus, when I browsed the retail price on that DVR I cam up with a number that is 8 times higher than my existing DVR - which begs the question; "Is that image 8x better?"

yes that 320x240 picture is a panasonic 484. (same area as the 1st picture just using a 5~50mm lens.

if you want to see a side by side comparison check this out.

ok this first pic is a mace cam 68.

sidehousemace.jpg

ok now this is a pana 484

sidehousepan.jpg

notice the color rendetion. My shirt is black not light brown as the first picture would make you think. and look at the ground also and the color difference.

so its just as much your camera as your dvr. I would say its more important to start first with a quality camera then upgrade your dvr.

thats an unbelievable image quality . I have never seen such quality . Could you tell me what sort of equipment I would need to achieve something approaching this quality please.

I cannot afford top end stuff so its a tight budget.

Could you please recommend some suitable bullet cams and the most economical setup based on PC . sorry to hyjack but you clearly know how to achieve exceptional quality .

thats the thing. That is top end equipment. If you want low end aka affordable equipment your going to get inferior results. It depends on whats more important to you; the money or the quality of video.

sorry that was a real dumb question . I read some more of the articles after I posted which helped a bit . there are thousands of solutions I need to do some more research and then ask some specific questions about equipment.

It seems to me that one should match the size of the viewed picture to the size of the recorded picture. For example, if the picture is recorded at 320 240 then, the picture one views should be displayed at 320 x 240 for maximum clarity. I would think if one displayed the picture recorded at 320 x 240 as a larger image like 700 x 540, it would suffer in picture quality, hence, the reason for high res and mega pixel cameras.

Maybe someone can clarify that better or point out something I’m misunderstanding.

Anyway, the pictures below are recorded with a $100.00 Swann SW-R-PCDVR4 card installed in a Sony home computer. The cameras are $250.00 Pro Video cameras from their HEAT line of cameras. That still doesn’t mean I don’t love my Panasonic WJ-HD 300 series DVR

For me it is a matter of balancing the system by matching the type and quality of the components. Like the old sayings go - something is only as good as its weakest link, and - you get what you pay for.

62549_1.jpg

62549_2.jpg

62549_3.jpg

Budget Rock Bottom Color bullet: 380TVL camera

320x240 from DVR:

ecl596eg3.jpgecl596eg2.jpg

AmCap - no compression - 720x480 (enlarged from default res)

System_large.jpg

Hey Rory! What kind of engine block do you have in the jeep that collapses your driveway?

Maybe you should switch to a smallblock!

Hey Rory! What kind of engine block do you have in the jeep that collapses your driveway?

Maybe you should switch to a smallblock!

LOL .. that driveway is fine .. the cement has cracked up over the years from the heat though I expect .. its a Straight 6 4.0 .. I imagine its a small block now though I dont know much about engines.

Rory, your pictures are a good example of what I’m talking about. The enlarged picture is distorting the detail around small areas such as that in the foliage, parking lights on the car, and so on. That distortion will have an impact on the detail of a persons face standing near or by the car.

Yep, also its only 510(H) x 492(V) effective pixels as opposed to the typical 811(H) x 508(V) with high res cameras.

What surprises me is how well the pictures look when using that cheap Swann card. On the other hand, it’s a little disappointing to think that the cameras may not be doing the Panasonic 300 series justice.

I wish I could afford to play around with some real hi end cameras. If I were in the cctv business, I could experiment with the clients money.

If I were in the cctv business, I could experiment with the clients money.

that all depends on the clients though. .