chewingyu

CCTV camera on forklifts

Has anyone installed CCTV cameras on forklifts? How does one do that?

What type, method or system is employed?

Some pointers would be welcomed.

I have!

I used a Swann microcam III.

This was set up using a 9 volt battery on the camera. The camera mount was epoxied to the side of the fork lift back.

There was no wiring to get pinched, cut, or yanked out by rubbing it up against something else.

The back of the fork lift had a frame to keep things from sliding back, and falling on the driver when the pallets were lifted in to the air. The camera is protected so that a drive by near miss does not smash it.

You will have to decide how you are going to power the receiver if you use it on the fork lift itself. If the fork lift has a battery then you are good to go.

Our set up was for a training class with orange cones in the parking lot. They would give classes for new employees, and then take them to the "road course". They video taped this on a VCR, and showed it back it in class. They have real footage of accidents. They have one where a guy takes a pallet rack to high, and smashes in to the ware house over head lighting sending shards of glass raining down! They have a guy who almost got ran over. The new driver did not look back before backing up!

Some people do not know how to get a feel for rear wheel steering.

This was the most fun on an install I have ever had!

Scorpion

Could you post or email me a pic of the set up so I know how it's done?

If plugged to a 9V battery. How long would it last if filmed continuously?

Since the forklift moves around alot, where do u place the DVR?

http://www.swann.com.au/s/products/view/?product=349

This is what the camera looks like. I do not have any photos of the forklift with the camera on it.

I thought you were going to use the camera to steer the forklift when you were loaded up, and could not see.

Why would you want to record the view?

You will have to put the receiver in a central area that will allow you to pull in the video as the fork lift travels. You will need to run a wire from the receiver to the DVR for recording purposes.

The transmitter is the same wattage as a childs walkie talkie. You can get great distances when the receiver, and the camera/transmitter are both outside. They will work indoors as long as the two devices can see each other. If you have the devices seperated by a wall, then you will have to bring the receiver, and the camera closer together. Forget about trying to penetrate 3 walls or more. They would have to be 20 feet apart in order to maintain the energy level at the receiver in order for it to see the video.

This is on 2.4Ghz. If you have a wireless laptops using wireless internet then you may have some interference issues, as the wireless internet is also on 2.4Ghz.

Batteries:

They will not last long. You can get about 8 hours out of a good battery such as the "hyper bunny" brand.

Lithium 9 volts may cost about $10.00 U.S. each. These should last about 20 hours give or take a couple of hours. You will need to test this out for yourself to see what time you can get out of them.

DVR:

The DVR can go anywhere you want it to go. I assume this will be in a manager office, or something to this effect. The DVR will have to be near a power plug. If you are hooking the DVR up to the internet so that you can see the camera from any computer around the forklift area, or from home, then the DVR will have to be located near the internet modem. Or you will have to run a computer cable from the modem to the DVR. If you are cat 5 savvy then you can custom make your own cables.

If you have an employee do this work for you make sure they follow common sense, and use saftey measures. If you are not sure of the install, stop and PM someone here on the board for help. I would rather waste your time, then to have someone do an install that they are not comfortable to do on their own.

I would perhaps recommend that you hire a local CCTV company to come out, and help you out. They will know more about the ins, and outs of your particular location.

I would be more than glad to help. What is the next step?

Scorpion

I am not really sure.

To my knowledge they are the manufactures.

There are various vendors that carry their products.

I'm not sure about their other product lines but I didn't think they manufactured the wireless stuff.....it all looks very much like the old ZTV / Goscam 2.4GHz wireless kit.

I am not really sure.

To my knowledge they are the manufactures.

There are various vendors that carry their products.

Im pretty sure as with Lorex and the others, they are OEMs and rebadge it with their name.

Same thing Scorpion said. I would go wireless with this application. It is much safer than puting a wired cam in. This way there is no way in risking the pinch of the wires. Let us know if we can help you in any other way. Thanks