photys

Avermedia standalones. Opinions please.

Background:

My only experience of DVR´s is from Geovision GV-600s to GV-1240s

Questions:

From the specifications, the EB1104, EB1304 and the EB1704

all have the same recording speed and quality.

Is this the case?

Is the CMS softwear free?

Anyone have a D1 still image they can post from one of these units to see the compression artifacts?

Regarding recording quality only, how does a $2000 standalone beat these Avermedias?

I've installed the EB1304 and will install the EB1704H next week. For the price they aren't bad units and you can service the HDs . The record settings are gobal, which dont't like. I usually install the SA6416, which is an awsome, full featured PC based DVR. The term D1 doesn't mean much to me. It's an industry problem. It would nice if there was an industry standard to determine effective resolution for both dynamic and static image capture modes. Your right/wise to want to see the "D1" image form ant DVR.

AverMedia Webcam (IE), Remote Console and CMS3000 software is great and free.

Normic

Thanks norm.

Does the SA6416 produce better images than the EB1304?

If so, are we talking seriously better?

(The SA6416 could be compared to an embedded Geovision GV-1480, so I know what to expect from one of them).

The EB1704 seems to have the about the same quality in 720x480 modes, with quality set to "max" (100) on the SA6416 and "best" on the EB1704. That being said, the SA6416 has a deinterlace filter which seems to provide a better image in a dynamic scene. But, the SA6416 is also more than 4 times the cost. Some customers will not invest the extra cost.

can anyone comment on how good the web interface is for the EB1304NET ?

-control & settings

-viewing

-searching for video

-download video

thanks..

purchased avermedia 1304net

so far works well. put in a Hitachi 500GB hdd and have 2 cameras connected.

ease of setup and use is good. web interface is good.

all around this DVR is a decent inexpensive unit.

it uses a remote control to access the menus, so if you lose that, you can only control it via internet. or buy a new remote.

a nice plus is a VGA port so you can connect a regular computer monitor.

so far nothing bad about it. has been working solid.

Cool, was wondering about this unit, how is the VGA out quality compared to the Composite quality, and how would you compare it to watching a DVD on the PC .. quality wise? Just curious how it is compared to others Ive seen.

Good specs for the price, ive demoed the remote video and was good quality.

Thanks

Rory

Getting following error with a 150kb JPG attachment:

Could not access ftp directory: 'attachments/thumbs'. Please check your FTP Settings.

So words will have to do for the moment.

Recordings are slightly more compressed than a Geovision GV-800 V2 recording with MPEG4.

Not even close to DVD quality.

Although, I thought it was untill I recorded from the DVD out, then switched between Avermedia playback and DVD playback.

This is a unit you would connect to a TV in a home environment.

Pretty much same quality as the camera directly connected to the TV, but I will try this again to confirm.

When you start viewing full screen on a monitor you start to see the compression and jaggies.

It records at near GV-800 V2 quality and has effective remote playback.

Nothing in the price range comes close as far as I have seen

I need to check out this unit in more detail.

I will post the results

Cool, was wondering about this unit, how is the VGA out quality compared to the Composite quality, and how would you compare it to watching a DVD on the PC .. quality wise? Just curious how it is compared to others Ive seen.

Good specs for the price, ive demoed the remote video and was good quality.

Thanks

Rory

I haven't plugged in a good composite monitor yet. the VGA is suitable, no noticable quality problems. I have it on a 21" wide screen LCD and it looks good.

When I try out other stuff on it, I'll post back.

btw, I just tried another NDVR, some guy bought the system from Costco, LOREX integrated DVR + Monitor SG19LD804 . I'll have to say I liked it. The web interface is pretty nice. Cameras that come with it are junk, but the DVR is nice. I liked the compactness of the integrated monitor.

lots of low end cctv products flooding the market.

But I calculated out the components and I can do it cheaper and better with the Avermedia 1304net 500GB and better cams, independent components. this way is preferred, I am always leery of integrated components, if anything fails the whole unit is garbage.

Just wanted to add my initial review of the EB1304MOB.

The first unit I got failed very quickly, but the dealer sent a new one out the same day.

Once everything was all plugged in the recording quality seems to be pretty good - example videos coming. The manual doesn't speak to how to connect the power in a manner that allows the unit to run/record one when the engine is running. After contacting tech support at Aver I got my answers but there were still not tremendously clear.

The USB software doesn't work on my Vista laptop but works ok on my 2000 laptop. The speed of exporting video to AVI or MPG is surprisingly slow - It's taked 20 minutes to get 52% into a 5 minute video.

Suggestions for Aver:

1) Don't have the DVR default to video loss alert becuase when the buyer turns it on the first time it's unlikely to have all cameras connected and they have to spend a minute or two figuring out how to turn off the beep!

2) Please be more clear about the power inputs. Can it run at 10v for short periods (1-5 seconds, during crank) or will it shut down? If it loses power unexpectedly then will it corrupt the hard drive? Is it ok to plug the power into switched ignition source and allow that to power the DVR only when the car is running? Is it ok for the DVR to be turned out by simply taking the power away, or do I need to stop the recording first? blah blah

3) Please label the screws for the hard drive and the mounting strips. I stripped the heads on a couple of the hard drive screws trying to use them for the mounting strips. They are the same size, just a slightly diff thread pitch.

4) Please release a vista version of the USB software. You're aware you can only buy Vista new these days, right? Nobody is buying XP or 2000 any more.

4) Please release a vista version of the USB software. You're aware you can only buy Vista new these days, right? Nobody is buying XP or 2000 any more.

Actually tons of people are still buying XP, though most name brand PCs come with the scorn of satan "Vista" loaded on it.

I agree with your Avermedia points Scruit.

Upgrading the firmware sorts out some speed issues.

However,

You're aware you can only buy Vista new these days, right? Nobody is buying XP or 2000 any more.

By clients request, I have bought more copies of XP this year than previous years combined.

Major computer brandnames now offer an XP option on previously Vista only computers.

A free Vista to XP upgrade path exists using the same phone line you use to activate your OS.

Only OEM Business and Ultimate. Still pushing for OEM home and premium.

Check out this .DOC file from Microsoft

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/2/3/d23b9533-169d-4996-b198-7b9d3fe15611/downgrade_chart.doc

I could have sworn that my laptop did not have an XP option. Maybe that's just Dell.

Still, they do need a Vista version of thier software.

Edit: I just went through the Dell builder and they only list Vista.

Sorry to hear that Scruit.

They try to force Vista on the home user but give the business user options.

Dell was the first major brandname to start offering XP again due to customer complaints.

Dell went all Vista in Febuary. Come April they had options for XP.

Right now Dell offers around 20% of its models with the XP option. This raises to 100% if you have a Premium or Small business account.

If you dont have the above accounts, Im told you can call in your order and they will give you the XP option.

Or follow the upgrade path to XP.

Let me just add: The EB1304MOB allows me to dump the HD contents to my laptop and then use the client software to browse for the video using the backup copy on my hard drive and then export as AVI or MPG. I LOVE THIS!!!

My prior DVR would only play back through the video out and becuase it was installed in my car I had to hook up the video cable that went ot my computer upstairs, then run upstairs and start recording, then run downstairs again and hit play, hit stop, run upstaurs and stop the recording, then downstairs again to shut down the dvr and take the key out of the ignition.

Now I take my laptop out, plug in the USB, turn the key on, select the DVR HD and hit Backup, wait a couple minutes, then take the key out and go inside. After that I can browse/search the whole video history on my laptop with no delay or lag - very fast.

Also, by converting digital to analog (video out) then bac to digital (tv capture card) you get a lower quality image than simply downloading the digital images directly.

Edited by Guest

Just wanted to add my initial review of the EB1304MOB.

The first unit I got failed very quickly, but the dealer sent a new one out the same day.

Once everything was all plugged in the recording quality seems to be pretty good - example videos coming. The manual doesn't speak to how to connect the power in a manner that allows the unit to run/record one when the engine is running. After contacting tech support at Aver I got my answers but there were still not tremendously clear.

The USB software doesn't work on my Vista laptop but works ok on my 2000 laptop. The speed of exporting video to AVI or MPG is surprisingly slow - It's taked 20 minutes to get 52% into a 5 minute video.

Suggestions for Aver:

1) Don't have the DVR default to video loss alert becuase when the buyer turns it on the first time it's unlikely to have all cameras connected and they have to spend a minute or two figuring out how to turn off the beep!

2) Please be more clear about the power inputs. Can it run at 10v for short periods (1-5 seconds, during crank) or will it shut down? If it loses power unexpectedly then will it corrupt the hard drive? Is it ok to plug the power into switched ignition source and allow that to power the DVR only when the car is running? Is it ok for the DVR to be turned out by simply taking the power away, or do I need to stop the recording first? blah blah

3) Please label the screws for the hard drive and the mounting strips. I stripped the heads on a couple of the hard drive screws trying to use them for the mounting strips. They are the same size, just a slightly diff thread pitch.

lots of stuff doesnt work on VISTA. it's a crime IMHO committed by M$.

vendors are having a hard time being compatible. mostly display and security issues with VISTA, and also being "certified" by M$.

if you want to blame someone, blame M$.

Is the quality the same between the EB1350net and EB1704hybrid? The specs are the same.

Also, in the specs the display resolution is listed at 720 x480 but the diplay frame rate is listed at 120fps CIF. ???

Is the quality the same between the EB1350net and EB1704hybrid? The specs are the same.

Also, in the specs the display resolution is listed at 720 x480 but the diplay frame rate is listed at 120fps CIF. ???

Yes they are the same in quality.

The big difference between those 2 dvrs is 1704HB has IP and PTZ controlling support which eb1304net doesn't have.

I have sold many EB1304Net and they work real well.

1. VGA port works as good as BNC port but you can only use one port at a time.

2. CM3000 basic is free and you can connect 16 DVR and you can mix and match with Standalone and PC based. CM3000 ADV can be purchased which will allow you to connect 1000 DVRs

3. Here is the demo live demo link from the vendor I buy from: EB1304net.iLinkPro.com user id is: user and password is: 111111

4. It also comes with free Video Enhancer software and PDA software

5. Remote control has A-B option which allows you to stack two EB1304net

6. Last 50 units i got from my vendors works with Vista.

EB1104 is a discontinue product.

Thanks for the info sajaan.

Have you tried any hard drives that were not on the supported list?

I wonder if any of the Segate SV35 drives would work?