CraigVM62

Camera Theft

No, just mount the vandal dome sideways. Find one that is 100% water tight and that has the 3 axis mount inside. Then fasten it to the wall or concrete. This should work very well. As for the rain on the dome, just use rain-X or mount it right under and eve. Maybe even create an artificial eve for it. If all else fails, bake a cage for it. I have seen weird looking cages been built for these types of things. Here is a picture of one.

988769684_Picture6014copy.jpg.f49d1d3e9553036a11fd8fa2bd68c056.jpg

No, just mount the vandal dome sideways. Find one that is 100% water tight and that has the 3 axis mount inside. Then fasten it to the wall or concrete. This should work very well. As for the rain on the dome, just use rain-X or mount it right under and eve. Maybe even create an artificial eve for it. If all else fails, bake a cage for it. I have seen weird looking cages been built for these types of things. Here is a picture of one.

I grew up in Redding "Go Shasta" so realize it is night a day difference regarding the rainy day issues we deal with here near Seattle compared to there.

Rain-X does keep the water from beading up on the dome lens, but as with any Rain-X treated glass surface, the water quicly rolls down in large droplets, each time causing a large distortion of the image. With the DVR set to motion recording, you can imagine what the results are. As it is, I install a little ridge on the front edge of the sun shields on conventional housings keeping the water from dripping off the front causing the same problem. Acts kind of like a roof gutter on a house.

Up here if you drive around and look at residential and commercial installations, you will find that dome cams are non existent unless mounted well under cover. Washington St. aka "The Umbrella State"

No eves to hide cameras under as this is the front of a commercial building. Nothing but 20 feet of flat wall.

If one is to go to the extend of building an artificial eve, one might as well build a cage as Rory originally suggested. If your going to build a cage, you might as well then stick to a conventional camera / housing / bracket as your photo shows

The best way to prevent camera theft is to install cameras in such a way that you have cameras watching cameras so that if one is damaged or stolen they are being recorded by the other.

i would just go with a vandal proof dome. You can mount it on its back. You can use a panasonic wv-cw484 vandal proof dome and it has a dehumidifing device built in. Also if you dont want to do that you can use their vandal proof wall/pole/corner mount. The only way to get this thing down would be to take out the section of the wall that comes with it.

your going to have a hard time "preventing" theft. Because if you double cover the area then they just will wear a mask.

One of my friends had the camera at his shop stolen some days ago. He also said that he would now install 2 cameras in a way that you will always see the other one.

Some of you suggested that too, so I guess it will work.

i would add extra cameras in other positions and also use a dome instead of a housing.

i have 11 cctv cameras protecting our house/property in uk and the property is medium sized. i have 4 on drive, 2 in side entry, 2 on patio, 1 on pond, 1 at back of shed, and woodland theres 1 also.

What about just a hinge that clicks into place where the 90 degree bend is and if its' pulled it will go 90 degrees or 180 from it's original position. All you'd have to do is just swing it back into place if anyone tried to pull on it.

another idea >

domes mounted flush with a small cover on-top to stop direct rain and ropes

[with each one crossing views] -separate IR illumination.

But the idea of a cam 50+m away zoomed in that always works!

or... a fake "junction box" cam nearby....

z

Hi Y'all,

I'm not an installer. I just have some cameras on my house to play around with and hopefully keep my things at my house instead of someone else's, if you know what I mean. I like the idea of putting an alarm trigger on the camera. I don't have an alarm but I am thinking about covert cameras instead. I am using 3 American Dynamics Ultra series cameras in housings. I don't really like the idea of them turning up missing. When I do install an alarm I will hook the cameras up to it as well. FYI. The reason I am using AD PTZ cameras is because I was able to get two of them for free. (leagaly). They see 100% of my property. All doors & windows including breaker box is hooked up to the camera alarms. The cameras are also set to do a random scan. That way anyone watching won't know where the camera is going to be pointing. I would like to hear some input on my set up. Like I said am not an installer so I don't know all the little secrets.

Dennis

I have clients with that problem too.

I put ligths with motion detection on side of cameras, when people came to camera ligth turns ON, so they thinks camera is protected. Aditionally I put tampers to activate alarma in silence mode to send security company without noise to see if we can catch the intruder. Is better catch him that only see their face.

regards

If you use a wall bracket to mount a dome facing down, your right back to giving them something to toss a rope around.

put razor blades all over the top of it .. rope goes over, they pull on rope and rope gets cut ..

Your starting to scare me Rory

Here is one for you... Last week I was visiting my Dad who lives in a little BFE town a hundred miles outside of Las Vegas. While there, a neighbor of his came over and started asking me questions. I guess my Dad told him I was coming and might be able to help him with a recent problem.

He owns a small junk yard where he has been dealing with local vandals. He was wanting to find someway to prove which of the local hoodlums was coming in at night stealing parts. A dog is not an option, and his budget eliminates any CCTV or Security System as a solution.

Here was my brainstorm .....:

I asked him if you have to walk through any rather narrow paths to get from A-B in his small junk yard. He said yes. about a 10 foot path between stacked cars.

I remember seeing that they make these wire trip land mines for paintball games. They use a small Co2 cylinder for pressure and state to cover an area of 700+ square feet.

I suggested that He try one and instead of filling it with the instructed paint ball paint fill, perhaps a stout mixture of Red Ritz dye along with something of strong odor. He loved the idea. I guess in a little community of 60 people, if someone comes home "colored funny and stinkin" it doesn't take long for everyone to hear about it

That is damn funny. I had a person who wanted to catch "the little sh*ts who are messing up my yard". It was a residence and she only wanted a temporary solution. Due to a limited budget, I ended up getting a trail cam for $200 and mounting it to the inside of here fence so it would view through the lattice. The mount was adjustable so during the day she could loosen the clamp and it would drop behind the fence out of sight. Since she had a flood light on the driveway, I took the foam part of a $0.49 foam paintbrush and covered the IR so it wouldn't give away the location.

I rented it out to her for $100 a month, thinking in only 2 months it would pay for itself. Well the first night it was up they came, but we didn't get the shot so she adjusted it and within 4 days she called to say they caught them and could ID who it was. I let her know that well since she had the camera for the whole month she might as well keep it up!

It worked great and worked within her budget.

Clinton Electronics had a dome camera fully submerged in a fish tank at ISC West. It's part of their Vandal dome series.

Mounting a Dome flush is your best option to prevent removal. Any traditional mount provides enough leverage to pull it down regardless of the strength of the screws. Apply enough force on anything with leverage and something will give. Plus, they can't even get a rope around a dome mounted flush.

I had an occasion where they stole a camera from me. It was in a small entryway of n apartment building. I installed another camer in the same place, only thing it was a old B/W that was going to the junk pile.

I didn't even attempt to hook into into the system. Chances are the thing didn't even work. I then installed a small covert camera watching the area which included the junk camera. When I installed the old camera I did use extra long bolts to make it a harder time to remove. Two nights later, they guy came back for the second camera. I got a good shot of him and the neighbors pointed him out. I went to his house and showed him the picture of him stealing the camera. I knew I wouldn't get much satisfaction from the police, so I told him that he was violating the laws with a few sections I made up myself. I told him he was going to be expecting at least 5 years in jail. To make it short, I got him to pay for the camera and my time, of which was very profitable. I got around 15 hundred bucks in the long run. Matter of fact selling cameras this way could make me a millionaire.

well done, Have done the same decoy cams and pin-holes covering the area

I even put a fake loop of wire for them to "cut"

z

I'm surprised. I thought you only had honest people down there.

I was in Australia one time. What a beautiful sight indeed. What is the weather like down there. You don't have the storms like we have up here. If I remember correctly, you have dust storms. We are expecting our first snow fall today. It's around 30 degrees (F) at present. Back to the camera business we have to be one step ahead of the crooks and they are getting very smart lately. Best regards John the oldtimer.