cctvlad

i have a toughie question about tv out.

right heres the story.. i have pc with a tv out enabled on it the customer wants to see the computer on the televison in the house. so i wired up the existing cat5 between the office and the house which acts as a telephone extenstion and is being used for broadband internet. now at the cat5 there was a spare twisted pair that i could use to connect a balun at each end the tv out works 100 percent. the thing is when i connect the tv out on the line. it knocks off the customers internet connection, then when i disconnect the tv out from the pc the internet comes back on. im assuming this is due to high noise on the line or the voltage from the tv out that is causing this. my question is how I reduce the noise so that both will work properly. its a toughie but if anyone has an answer it would be cool.

thanks lads

Im really pleased you got this working.

Bottom line, to save time and hassle, tape up 2 cat5´s to your existing run and pull them through.

Not that you will do it, but bear it in mind for next time.

If all fails then you can get a product called a video extender. It send video wirelessly. You have two units, one a transmitter, and the other a receiver. Make sure you get one with an IR extender. If the DVR can be controlled with a hand held then you can control the DVR with the video extender.

By the way, there is no privacy using a video extender as others can receive this signal. The wattage is very low so you do not have to worry about a real wide area coverage.

another cable run might just be the right job wireless is no good cos of the bad transmission through an aluminum building (signal reflected back rather than through)

all should be ok with another cat5 run.

i was just hoping if there was some way i could reduce the noise on the existing cat5 run.

anyways thanks for your input lads.

Catch ya laters

Originally I was considering recommending using 2 pairs as network traffic is only carried on 4 of the 8 wires.

But that may make the interference worse.

Nothing to loose by trying though.

ah never worry the customer has agreed to another cable run so alls well thats ends well.

allthough i have another job on an got a 100 foot run for 4 cams so will use utp for that will get 4 port balun hubs but if i run 12v power thru them will that distort the picture??

any of you lads know where i can get baluns cheap?? im in ireland remember.

cctv lad

Just so I understand,

You dont use Co-ax and BNC connectors for your installs.

You use Cat5 and baluns?

(A balun being a device to connect Cat5 cable to a BNC connector).

Do you use one cat5 cable per camera?

Or run one cable to the area and split the twisted pair off to each camera?

try not to use coax asit is expensive , athough in short situations it is ok.

i use one cat5 and use the twisted pairs off ontoeach camera but if i run 12v on oneof the twisted pair on the same cable will that be a nono???

i have done it before and the picture was distorted on a balun hub but is this not the way to do it ?

cctvlad

You cant use the same pair for both video signal and power, unless you get baluns specifically designed for that purpose. Your typical balun is meant only for sending the video signal down cat5.

You can get baluns that can do both, but I have no idea what they are like quality wise, never used them, but I dont imagine there should be any problems if you get a good quality one from a good manu, as the electronics behind it is well proven and stable.

cat5 wire is not for power the wire is to small which leads to a big voltage drop. Think about trying to start your car with telephone wire. The longer the wire and the more the amp draw the bigger the power wire needs to be.