techmob

i am new to this but looking for advice on a pc based system

Hi all

been reading through this site as a guest for a while now, but thought it was time i registered and posted

i have a decent pc, which has an intel dual core E6600 cpu, and 2gb of ddr2 pc800 dual channel ram, plenty of hardrive space etc, so it's just a matter of adding a dvr pci card to it

i want a dvr system which can support atleast two cameras, with monitoring and live recording, motion detection etc etc, i have a widescreen lcd 19" and would like the software to support 1440x900 resulotions or something similar

i bought a system off ebay - cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200141158784&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

but it forced me to run my display resolution at 1024x768 or it would refuse to run, so i sent it back for a refund

hence my quest for the ideal system

what sort of prices am i looking at for a 2 camera system, which has some nice software

i need one with decent enough software as i think this is an important part to the system?

i am from the uk

what sort of money are we looking at, for a dvr card, software , 2 night vision cameras and cables/connections

is there a certain FPS one i should be looking for?

i don't need more than 4 cameras, defenatly not, and 2 would do most likely

so i would only need a decent enough card to handly 2 cameras at a decent FPS, and what is the max FPS channel i should be looking for 25-30?

i think the main thing for me to get right at the moment, is the software and pci card

any advice, i am still learning

thanks

A lot of times people start with technology questions - like what pc or what camera - but it is very important to start with the usage questions. What do you really want to do with the system? What are the 2 cameras for? Is this mostly for real time monitoring, or do you want the cameras to record what is going on when you are gone? During playback, are you trying to identify people, cars or what? Is motion detection important? How much load are you planning to put on the PC other than using it as a DVR?

Having said all that, any modern PC is probably good enough for a 2 camera system. At 1440 or 1600x900, you probably have more screen real estate than your 2 cameras have pixels. Video capture card will run $100 to $400. Software will run $50 to $300 for simple functionality. Night vision cameras go for $80 to $400 for casual use. Sorry for US$ since you said you are in the UK.

If I were you, I would seriously consider picking up a simple dedicated 4 channel DVR instead of using your pc. Then run the remote client on the PC for playback.

Andy

I wont go into too much detail, but as mentioned, 1400x900 is very high resolution for cctv cameras. Infact 1280 and even 1024 is pushing it. But if thats your monitors native resolution then you are stuck with that.

GeoVision handles higher resolutions, but then your monitor would have to also support that, which is doubtful, at least not in Native Resolution, and for a DVR and using an LCD, you must use Native Resolution or the quality will be even worse.

Okay, so as mentioned, GeoVision DVR cards handle higher resolutions of 1920 x 1200, 1680 x 1050 and 1600 x 1200, in their latest software version, as well as 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024. Im sure some other DVR cards also support those.

As to the DVR card, dont know of any 2 channel cards besides the GeoVision GV-250. That is a budget card, but can use the full GeoVision software. Its only 15-20fps total though, so that is divided amongst the 2 cameras. Recorded video can be set to SMART motion record so if only 1 camera is picking up motion, it will be given the full 15-20fps.

The DVR Software is included, as it is with most DVR Cards.

If you want real time on both cameras, you will need a 60fps card. If you dont mind, you could get a 30fps and it will then be 15fps per camera, which is very close to real time (Human eyes see 20fps as real time, but real time is actually 30fps).

Basically Ive been running a GV250 2 channel on and off on my PC for a couple years, and my last monitor was a 19" Wide Screen with 1400x900, but for optimal quality the software was run at 1024x768, and yes it did not take up the whole screen, but that was fine as I also used the PC (not recommended) for other work. Switching now though as I now have 4 cameras and am adding more.

As for pricing, it will vary, and you are in the UK so cant really say. There is at least one UK dealer on this form, should be easy to locate. But retail pricing in USD on the Geo GV250 2 channel is approx $180-200, and like mentioned comes with the software, as do all that I know of.

The cameras will greatly differ, for example a True Day Night camera will be double the price of a simple Color IR camera. Please read the section in the camera forum that has links on Day Night Infrared apps, for further information on the differences between them.

Rory

EDIT: Man you type quickly Rory!

Geovision 8.1 runs at standard resolutions, but also:

1920 x 1200

1680 x 1050

1600 x 1200

1280 x 1024

I strive for a 720x576 pixel TFT :/

Why? Thats the pixels output by the PAL DVR software.

1440x1152 would be perfect for 4 cams.

Until then its CRT for quality, TFT for space saving.

EDIT: Man you type quickly Rory!

Geovision 8.1 runs at standard resolutions, but also:

1920 x 1200

1680 x 1050

1600 x 1200

1280 x 1024

I strive for a 720x576 pixel TFT :/

Why? Thats the pixels output by the PAL DVR software.

1440x1152 would be perfect for 4 cams.

Until then its CRT for quality, TFT for space saving.

LOL only sometimes ...

But yeah you could probable force that res on some monitors, but if its not the native res then ..

thanks for the helpful responses, i will try and explain my situation further

i need two cameras, one for the car/front garden and one for the side/back garden

these will basically be used for live monitoring but also when i am not here or asleep, catch motion detection or recording

night vision cameras are preferable but i can also put a security light sensor with them to help with the visibility

my screen display is 1440x900, but what i ment was, some software i tried on my last purchase did not even run unless i used a certain resolution

what is important to me, is the software runs along side my native display (1440x900) and the software just be in its own window, with the correct size for the camera windows etc, without affecting the rest of my pc needs, and i can easily minimize the camera software when i am working on something else, or resize the software? to a certain corner of my workspace and make it stay on top (is possible)

thats the sort of thing i ment regarding resolutions, aslong as the software runs with my resolution and i can work along side it?, then that shouldn't be a problem should it?

i am at my pc allot of the time, so ideally would like to be able to monitor things from workspace ( i.e pc)

as for FPS, has anyone got an sample FPS footage, so i know what to expect

if i got a 60fps card, then i could run 2 cameras at 30fps , is that correct?

if i go for a geovision, where can i get the updates from, would it have to be from the person i bought it from or can i create an account at geovision, how does it work, as i do not want to buy a product and be stuck without updates

thanks

I agree with you 100%.

When I am using one of my older computers, and I want to check on a customers DVR via remote view than I have to resize the screen.

When I watch the video, it does not appear right. The colors are off, and it appears very pixalated. I then have to go back to properties, and select a high color 16 bit option to bring in the video.

I do not use this computer much, and it gets me everytime I do! LOL!

Majority of my DVRs out there are standalones using video server S or E.

OOOOPS! Did I say Standalone in the PC Based System? Sorry!

My faux pax!