Snow_death

How does this system look? Can you sell me a cheaper one?

The problem is I am trying to stay as close to 200 dollars as I can. I would go wireless but I have a wireless network in my house and do not want any interference. If someone can help me and tell me if this system is going to work it would be much appreciated. I am setting this up around my house just to monitor in case something happens.

four Water Proof Color Night Vision LED Infrared Security Cameras

Ebay # 260159325991

one CCTV 4 Channels DVR PCI Record Card For Security Camera BNC / RCA

EBAY# 290160252623

four 50' Power Video Audio Cable BNC RCA Security Camera 1JC

Ebay #320156844328

That is a clone card we do not support clones in the forum. A good starter 4 channel card cost more than you list as a buget for you system. E-Bay is not the place to buy a system also do you speak chinese if not you will have a problem with tech support. Sorry for the bad news.

Yep, unfortunately $200 will not get you a 4 camera system worth looking at. And if the card is a clone, you will not get any support on it. I dont know if that is a clone though, just very very cheap, and unfortunately thats not a good sign. Cards are not always the expensive part, the software also counts and if that is no good, you will have one unstable DVR system.

AS SOON AS YOU SAID X10, THEN i REALISED THAT YOU HAVE NOT DONE YOUR HOMEWORK.

X10 works great for what it is designed for. Who is designing your system?

I have used X10 cameras. They do what they are supposed to do.

If you cannot run a video wire to where the camera should be mounted then there is a "trick", or a solution. Lets take a video signal, and lets change it to a different frequency, and lets inject this signal on top of a 120 Volt (USA Mains) 60 Hz power line.

Have you put your tongue on a 120 volt wire lately?? NO? Why would you inject video on to it????

I am sorry to contradict myself. I would be a bible thumper, and tell you to N O T T O U S E the X10. Yes, I have used the X10 cameras. These are great for short term situations. If someone has to provide first class security right now, then I can go out, and place some "deer hunter" cameras on some trees ( do not use 35mm film, and do not use flash, use IR Flash). Set up some paintball mines with trip wires (to "paint" an individual so that they cannot say "I wasn't there!"), yank out a bulb somewhere, and poof, bang instant video!! This is a stop gap action!!!! This is to get something going now, until a P R O P E R Video Surveillance system can be installed.

I can deactivate your X10 cameras in 5 seconds flat!!! This device is on my keychain! No is not a laser pointer! I can also pull your video off of your mains, and use this video against you!! Do not put your cameras where you do not want to be seen on youtube!! (I will not do this!! I am only trying to make a point! It is my job to think like a thief, and "mentally" attack your place. Are your security lights shatter proof????).

Go to a restaraunt supply, and buy these plastic covers that are designed to keep shattered glass out of your FOOD! They even have these for flourescent bulbs. Now when I show up with my sling shot (yes I am quiet, and very deadly! If you have a million dollars cash under your mattress it will soon be mine, with no evidence!!).

I would tell you more, but I do not want to scare you!

Have you installed that film on to your windows so that it does not shatter when I throw a rock at it??

Do you have french double doors?? I love french double doors!! Inside in 2 second flat!!! (still no evidence)

Shut up you in the back ground on the forum! I already bypassed an active alarm system.

Do you have a dog to bark? Do not use a pet for security. You have to train them to not take hotdogs/baloney from a stranger. Pets are not trained in this manor. Do not do this with a K9 after you run. He is trained to eat arms!!

Thanks for leaving your pile of newspapers in the yard so that I know that you are on vacation!

ON a side note. You X10 freaks! I already penetrated your X10 system before I set foot in your house. I already know what software you are using, and I know those ever changing lights are programmed.

The police chief did not like that I changed all of the bulbs in his house with red light bulbs (in, and outside) with out setting off any alarm. I had prepermission. Do not do this on your own.

Some of you guys really need to cut back your bushes! Some of you guys really need to pull those bushes out, and trade them for thorny plants, (ouch)!

Forget spending money on your video system. Spend good money on a battery back up system with line filtration. Invest in a lock box for your DVR, (or VCR). Buy the best cameras that you can afford.

How much in valuables do you have????? Spend AT least spend 10% of this value! If it is not valuable why protect it??

If you are a contractor of some sort, and you have some very expensive tools in you trailer (yes you do, I know you do, and they go quietly in the night at the local pawnshop!), then get yourself a live tracking GPS with cellular transmission. Trimtrak comes to mind. As soon as it is stolen you can get instant info where it is at!!! Video verification will put this crooks alibi to the test!

I love knocking on doors, and asking people to be kind enough to open their garage for me please!

If X10 cameras work for what you have designed for them to do then congradulations you will be very happy with them. If you are saving a buck to get a video surveillance system on the cheap then think about whether you really want me in your house, or not!!!!

Look behind you! I may already be there!

X10guru@hotmail.com

My apologies!

""What about the X10 systems? Do more wireless camera systems interfere with wireless internet?""

I am sorry. I thought this was two seperate questions.

I did not see a manufacture, or a model number therefore I assumed (and you know what they say about assume!), that you were referring to X10 Cameras where the video is transmitted over the powerlines.

Yes they do. There are some tricks that can be done.

Moving wireless routers to a place where you can use a wireless link may help from interfering with your wireless cameras.

You did not mention what kind of wireless camera. You may have to get a different wireless camera with a higher power transmitter so that it is not squashed by the 802.11.

What is the wattage?? 100 milliwatts?

I will send you a pm to make sure I think you have what I think you have.

There will be interference with you cordless phones as well.

If you already have bought them you may get lucky by switching between the different channels, and you might be far enough away that you may not have interference.

If you have the cameras that I think you have you may have short life time expectancy issues.

Again my apologies!

One of the tricks you can do with wireless cameras is to put the receiver as close to the camera as you can then run video wire from the receiver back to the DVR, (or VCR).

Here are some things to be aware of with wireless cameras.

The inexpensive multicam systems are set up as switchers. You will see camera 1, then it will switch to camera 2, then it will switch to cam 3,4, and then it will go back to camera 1, and so forth.

Advantages:

Cheap, quick, and to the point! You can use a VCR to record video with multiple cameras!

Disadvantage:

What is going on at the other cams when you are looking at cam 1?

You cannot use a multichannel recorder such as a DVR. You can use channel 1, and let the video sequence throught the cameras, but it defeats the purpose of the other 3 channels (on a 4 channel DVR).

If this passes your specs then you are good to go!

If this does not pass your specs then you will want to have a receiver for each camera so that you can have all four cameras recording on each channel of a DVR.

Here is what they do not tell you about cheap (very cheap) cameras:

The infrared leds are supposed to provide an invisible light source so that you can see video in a dark environment. These cheap cameras will only throw the infrared about 10 feet, or so. Check your camera specs. How far do your infrared cameras travel? Remember that there is a "ramp" effect. Up close the led is very bright, and the farther you get away from the camera, the less bright this light source will be. If you are standing at 11 feet there will be no video!! You have no light on the subject! At 5 feet from the camera you should have a decent video shot.

Lets face it. If someone is standing in your yard, they are for the most part going to be about 5 feet from your house. This is a good place for these cheap cameras. If you are trying to watch your cars in your driveway then you will be very dissipointed in the video!!! This is where these cameras were not designed to operate! You are using the camera outside of it specs.

Want to know an "inside" trade secret??

Measure from where your camera is going to be mounted out to the area where you want this camera watch. What is this distance? OK! Now double it! This is the distance that you want your infrared to be rated at!

You are not going to see cars parked out on the street with a bullet camera with a 30 foot throw! Even if the car is 30 feet from the camera! Remember the ramp effect? If the car is 30 feet from your camera then you might (depends on environmental factors) need a 60 foot IR camera, or perhaps a 100 foot IR camera!

Here is where you might get pissed off! Cheap camera companies will buy what ever LEDs are on sale at the time, (market value). If you are supposed to have a wide angle lens, and they put the wrong led on the camera then it may actually travel real far in to your yard!! Hey! Wait, this is supposed to be wide angle!!! I cannot see to the far left, and the far right of the camera view! It is to dark!!

You can have the opposite problem! You can have a camera that lets you see a good facial recognition at 30, or 40 feet from the camera, but they bought leds that are designed for wide angle cameras!! They infrared does not travel far from the camera, but it illuminates very far to the right, and very far to the left. Great! Now how am I supposed to catch that crook at midnight??

I am not using scientific stuff here, I am guesstimating for demonstration purposes.

Where security is of the essence we installers will use a camera that cost $2000.00 a piece. With ten cameras that is a chunk of change!!!

OK! A $300, or $400 camera does not sound so bad after all!

Another thing to watch out for! Cheap camera might use plastic lenses! Is it possible? I doubt it, but it is something to keep in the back of your mind when shopping around.

Expensive camera use specially ground lens with no imperfections. They can also place a coating over the lens to give a really "killer" video shot!

These coatings can be of various chemicals to enhance UV, Glare, or bounce back glare from within side of the camera.

For those people who are reading this thread, and you have a very tight budget then do this......

Buy one good camera, and a DVR. Wait a few months, and then go, and buy somemore cameras. Build your system up over time! Now go, and find someone who needs some cameras. Sell them your cameras, and go, and get some upgraded cameras.

It just like a car! I cannot afford an expensive car, I buy what I can afford. Over a period of time I have sold, and purchased cars, and over a period of time I have moved up in to a category of cars I thought I would never be able to afford! Now I cannot afford the tuneup!! When does it ever end???

Do you have french double doors?? I love french double doors!! Inside in 2 second flat!!! (still no evidence)

I'll bet you a brand new GeoVision GV-1480 DVI that you cant get into my french doors that quick!

This Post was removed by a Forum Moderator - Reason: Advertising Post

1) Welcome to the CCTV Forum. If you are a new member please read the forum guidelines first before posting:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3324

2) There is no advertising of any kind allowed in any of the forums. For advertising options please see this link:

http://www.cctvforum.com/advertise.php

3) For other Languages, please read this post:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9805