I think I burned a balun as I relocated a camera without turning the power off it will probably take a week to get another one (unless I can buy/borrow one locally). Should I take the other balun off the line?

I was thinking that but I could find no other explanation.

I wonder what else it could have been, I do know that I tied the lines together on the camera side (burned balun was on the dvr side) to check continuity but I am 99.9% sure that power was off at that time.

I should also mention that sleep deprivation could have played a part this occured the morning after an all nighter.

I serisouly doubt you "burned" the balun. Either lighting struck the area, you dropped it, or you drag your feet on carpet.

I think I burned a balun as I relocated a camera without turning the power off it will probably take a week to get another one (unless I can buy/borrow one locally). Should I take the other balun off the line?

You did not mention which manufacturer balun are you using? Dependent whose it is, some already come with surge protectors built in and some do not...

I serisouly doubt you "burned" the balun. Either lighting struck the area, you dropped it, or you drag your feet on carpet.

I seriously doubt static electricity would affect a passive balun. It's just basically a coil of wire - no active components.

I was getting at enough static to actuall blow the resistors leads.

I agree it may have dies but it didn't burn up or fry.

How about if it was defective right out of box? not that it does not happen..

Any passive balun that we use must come with surge protectors built in.. which does help tremendously not only if we run into a very high static discharge environment, but also surge of voltage that does exist when such cables are near a power transformers, large utilities, etc... NVT charges more for such baluns, but our supplier includes them without any additional cost...

We use the passive baluns from this manufacturer: http://videobaluns.com/.. it works great and we are able extend CAT5E cables up to 1,500' without any degradation of the video signal. Very cost effective, yet a good performer.

will have to try a couple of them, the enforcer ones and another brand I used, lost video quality after 150'. I would also like to see some snapshots of cameras successfully run on passive baluns over 500', if anyone has any? Thanks.

They look ecactly the same as the Samsung / GVI VB59:

32_Small_vb-59.jpg

versus videobaluns.com BL3265:

65703_1.gif

We have used them and they work very well.

looks like the enforcer ones also .. except in white. same connections (push in). Dont know where they calculate that 1300' from .. they must mean inches.

65704_1.jpg

building2_balun.jpg

But perhaps like cameras, they are not all made alike.

looks like the enforcer ones also .. except in white. same connections (push in). Dont know where they calculate that 1300' from .. they must mean inches.

But perhaps like cameras, they are not all made alike.

Actually we have been using VU for quite a long time.. and we can stretch the CAT5 to 1,500' and it does work... They have (3) models and all of the come with built in surge protector...

You are right "like cameras, they are not all made alike"

The Baluns I have is almost identical to the picture Rory posted. Only dirrerence is the BNC connector is silver. There is an item number VB-05 but no brand name.

I ordered them through a local security company. I have to give them credit - at least they new what I was talkin about when I aske for a balun.