adindas

HOW NVR Physically Look like

Dear All CCTV expert.

I have been following this forum for quite a few weekas Now. I understand that DVR is needed for system with analog CCTV camera and NVR is for CCTV IP camera ?.

How is actually NVR look like ?. Is that just a CCTV server with IT network or it looks like DVR. Could someone guide in this instance or probaly the website where I could see the picture/specs of this product ?

Thank you for your time

NVR is basically a catch term for certain folks. IP systems are most beneficial when run with a software package of some kind.

Thank U very much for valuable input.

Is NVR is an equipment such as DVR or a sytem ?. My understanding is that we need NVR to operate CCTV IP.

IS NVR rouhgly say is just a PC server and Software where CCTV is operated ?

I am sorry about my ignorance

NVR is basically a catch term for certain folks. IP systems are most beneficial when run with a software package of some kind.

Thank U very much for valuable input.

Is NVR is an equipment such as DVR or a sytem ?. My understanding is that we need NVR to operate CCTV IP.

IS NVR rouhgly say is just a PC server and Software where CCTV is operated ?

I am sorry about my ignorance

Here is a simplest way I can explain what NVR really is... It is a basic computer and nothing more... including your basic computer components... and has NVR software that allows recognition of IP cameras via Ethernet port, or switch and storing video content to local (or remote) hard drive storage... You can install your IP cameras anywhere within a facility (or outside of the facility), connected to the closest switch or hub and then communicate with them using your NVR software... Each IP camera within the network could be considered as another computer in the network.. so you will need basic network configuration skills to operate for such setup..

Hope this helps.

An NVR is a Network Video Recorder. It can be anything from a small embedded box to a standard PC to a rack mount server. It records video that is sent to it over the network (or Internet), so no Capture card is required.

A DVR is similar, but requires a Capture card for the video. A DVR is typically used in CCTV while an NVR is for Networked Video Surveillance, somewhat like a professional webcam recording solution, with many more features. On the flip side the DVR can also be setup to have video sent over the network for live or recorded remote video.

The NVR requires IP cameras, these can be placed anywhere there is a local network or internet connection. The DVR uses CCTV cameras which are connected directly to the DVR.

Many manufacturers are now making dual CCTV DVR and IP Video Surveillance systems, these are called Hybrid Systems, and if anything is to be the future of the surveillance industry, this would be it.

This forum is very great to find information including for beginnners like me.

Great help, really apreciated

Adindas

Rory pretty much hit the nail on the head. You can still use analogue cameras on a NVR but you connect them to encoders at the point of the camera. Essentially an NVR system distributed the encoding to the camera location. With DVR's you bring back an analogue signal back to your server where the encoding is done.

This has several flow on effects.

If an encoder dies you only loose one camera.

Your server can be standardised with no special hardware. Therefore it can be virtualised.

The system is no longer CC (CCTV) Closed Circuit. It is routed packet. Addressing is moved from Layer 1 to Layer 3 see the OSI network model

How it works.

In NVR the client doesn't receive the stream from the server. The stream is multicast from the encoder at the camera. So as more clients view the stream there is no extra load on the server or the network.

What does the NVR server do?

Records streams for playback purposes

Acts as a licence server to allow clients to join the network.

Keeps a record of past files in a database

Allocates security to the devices, users and groups.

The services are essentially an SQL type server and a licence server. These functions can be split, load shared or virtualised to other machines as there is no dedicated hardware in the system. They are also well known to IT departments so updates virus control and all those nasty things can be handballed in an instance bringing you totally compliant with IT.

Web vs.. IP

I don't like the terminology "Webcam" as it implies HTTP protocol which is typically run on a single port (80 or 8080 for proxies) this rules out multicasting which is the backbone of multi client access. So pay attention, if your application has a "Web client" check to see if it still utilises the multicast stream and doesn't get a point to point stream off the server.

OSI network model

Layer 1 is the hardware layer, cables etc

Layer 3 is the network layer, IP address.

Not makeing much sence. Think of it like sending a parcel from vendor to customer. Layer 1 is building the road between the two and getting a truck to drive there. Layer 3 is given there are already roads and truck, planes and boats. You just write the address on the box and it will find its way there. So in DVR you must put cableing between the camera and the server and in NVR given you alread have the network in place you just need the encoder.

Is there any different between IP CCTV center and analog CCTV center?

As you know, analog center is consisted of matrix, monitors for matrix switching, quads, monitors for quad display, CCTV keyboards, DVRs, PC for playback and so on. A image that I attached shows typical analog CCTV system.

I wonder if IP CCTV center can be same with that and it is general IP center or not. If not is there any reason for that?

Thanks for all comments

775143210_ChelmsfordBoroughCouncilsCCTVcontrolcentre.jpg.dc3e6e202c24fc6457bdb291a7e91eff.jpg

This is my control room. Its all IP. Only 4 of the 18 monitors normaly display video however 14 of them can be used at a moments notice. 4 can't as they are physically on a different network and the boxes are running Unix. (two monitors are behind the photograph)

So the other 10 monitors normally run email, heavy duty vehicle health monitoring systems, ground slope radar monitoring systems, GPS location systems, Lightning detection systems, databases and servers administration. There are 3 consoles (one you can't see because its on the back wall) that are on a shared KVM with direct connection to up to 31 computers. There are several heavy duty servers, that we never normaly veiw apart from administration. There are 3 SQL servers, 2 Unix servers, one backup server. There are 9 workstations each running duel monitors. All of these services can be replicated with the use of a password around the world (anywhere on our network)

71726_1.jpg