stanzap

Hello from Ottawa, Canada

Google brought me to your forum archive. I purchased a Hikvision card which was bundled with some absolutely awful XP DVR software. So I'm exploring options on getting it working under Linux and meeting limited success at this point.

Stan

The sample card I have is a Hikvision DS-4008HC® Linux drivers available from their site are written for older kernels (cd shipped with only Win XP drivers) and I need one for 2.6.22-14 under Ubuntu Gutsy/Debian. I am curious how responsive Hikvision will be. Any one ever dealt directly with them?

Stan

Hi Stan,

There are some softwares that hikvision used ,and most softwares support the win XP OS.

Actually the Hikvision card Linux drives are available just like what their site written, but it is limited by the software ,if the software cant support the linux OS, The system fail to operate.

There should be some linux softwares that compatible with the card ,but i am not sure who are they, you had better contact with hikvision to confirm it, and change the software if possible.

Evelyn

Thanks

Hikvision does offer Linux support on certain card models AND they have responded to emails in under 24 hours. So far so good! They DO support Fedora or Gentoo, but not Debian which is what I am more familiar with. More details to follow as I am currently installing Fedora 7!

Stan

Hi, Stan,

Glad to hear your problem has been solved.

But I wonder whether Netvision software can make you happy with XP system.

Total turn-around time has been under a week and Hikvision has helpfully compiled some binary drivers which load prooperly with Fedora 7. Card is not yet doing exactly what I want it to do (Video4Linux support) but sample code was also provided. My goal is to get this card working correctly with ZoneMinder and I shall continue to pursue 'proper' driver support from Hikvision!

Stan Zapaticky

Well, my experience with HikVision has been mixed. They are quick to supply pre-compiled binary (proprietary) drivers but not too helpful in making their card work within Video4Linux specs. So when testing the XP software that shipped with the card (an old version of Unisight) it wouldn't even start and crashes upon opening. Interestingly the NetVision DVR software DOES seem to work, although there is translation issues as there is still lots of Chinese in it even though it's installed on a US English system. Will continue to explore other software solutions. Anyone have any recommendations?

Stan Zapaticky

Hi, Stan

I appreciate that you've tried Netvision software!

Now I am wondering whether you have bought Chinese version card instead, since there is language mismatch problem. You'd better contact your dealer directly for further info.

Installing surveillance systems is not my primary goal. But my clients have various DVR setups installed and as their IT consultant, it is my task to integrate them with their existing LAN's and my success has been limited (at best). I've dealt with embedded Pelco DVR's that require strange ActiveX controls and poorly written Java clients that lock up and crash the Windows machines that try to run them. Move from Windows 98 to to Windows XP and everything stops working until firmware updates are installed on the DVR. Upgrade again to Vista and everything quits working once again. I've run into AverMedia PC-Based DVR's that work great on the local machine, but refuse to transmit video to remote clients for no discernible reason. I've supported Samsung embedded DVR's that work great on the local machine, but again the IP client provides 1-2 FPS on the local subnet with no hint or reason why performance is so poor. I've encountered a few 'no-name' Chinese embedded DVR's that have zero support, no identifiable manufacturer and bundled software that simply won't even install, let alone provide any sort of remote viewing capability at all. I've fought with various flavours of 're-branded' RASPlus that blue-screen the machines they're installed on, and have zero documentation also.

I ordered the above Hikvision card directly from the manufacturer and apparently I've received the Chinese version of the card. It's marketed as offering full Linux support but it doesn't really. Hikvision supplies pre-compiled binary (restricted) drivers, but of course won't release any source code to offer true Video4Linux support. Netvision DVR software is pretty good, but again, it's a proprietary windows only solution with no clear upgrade path to Vista. How can I implement remote viewing on a Linux client running Firefox? How can I view camera feeds on a PocketPC through a GSM connection if I can't install ActiveX controls? How about a PalmOS device? A Sony PSP? All of these devices offer web-browsing in their own way and proprietary solutions do not offer a true 'integrated and comprehensive' solution.

What I'm really looking for is either an embedded DVR or a PCI DVR card that offers a plain-old port 80 HTTP interface with no proprietary oddities about it. Why can I get a $49 Linksys router with a web interface that supports any possible operating system for administration, but DVR's that run into the thousands of dollars STILL require dozens or hundreds of megabytes of software installed that 'sort-of' works, under limited conditions?

I can download an open-source (free) ISO image of ZoneMinder, boot-up any old PC, plug in a handful of $15 USB webcams into it, and I have a fully functional, PC-based DVR with all the bells and whistles, no proprietary software, a fully functional web-based interface that runs in any environment, and a bunch of MPEG or OGG format videos recorded when motion is detected. But try to replace the $15 webcams with a quality hardware-based capture card and everything grinds to a halt.

Sorry for the rant, but the last few weeks have been rather frustrating for me. If anyone can recommend a hardware/software solution that meets my needs I'm actively seeking your input!

Stan Zapaticky

Hi Stan,

Have you made any further progress with Linux & HikVision DS4008HCI? Looking at eBay there are a couple of dealers selling DVRs running Linux that could contain HikVision cards. Might be worth asking them

item=320159984161

item=320188539823

I'd be interested in how you get on. I've got one and am currently using the SkyVision NVR Software on XP. Seems ok.

Cheers, Mark.

Installing surveillance systems is not my primary goal. But my clients have various DVR setups installed and as their IT consultant, it is my task to integrate them with their existing LAN's and my success has been limited (at best). I've dealt with embedded Pelco DVR's that require strange ActiveX controls and poorly written Java clients that lock up and crash the Windows machines that try to run them. Move from Windows 98 to to Windows XP and everything stops working until firmware updates are installed on the DVR. Upgrade again to Vista and everything quits working once again. I've run into AverMedia PC-Based DVR's that work great on the local machine, but refuse to transmit video to remote clients for no discernible reason. I've supported Samsung embedded DVR's that work great on the local machine, but again the IP client provides 1-2 FPS on the local subnet with no hint or reason why performance is so poor. I've encountered a few 'no-name' Chinese embedded DVR's that have zero support, no identifiable manufacturer and bundled software that simply won't even install, let alone provide any sort of remote viewing capability at all. I've fought with various flavours of 're-branded' RASPlus that blue-screen the machines they're installed on, and have zero documentation also.

I ordered the above Hikvision card directly from the manufacturer and apparently I've received the Chinese version of the card. It's marketed as offering full Linux support but it doesn't really. Hikvision supplies pre-compiled binary (restricted) drivers, but of course won't release any source code to offer true Video4Linux support. Netvision DVR software is pretty good, but again, it's a proprietary windows only solution with no clear upgrade path to Vista. How can I implement remote viewing on a Linux client running Firefox? How can I view camera feeds on a PocketPC through a GSM connection if I can't install ActiveX controls? How about a PalmOS device? A Sony PSP? All of these devices offer web-browsing in their own way and proprietary solutions do not offer a true 'integrated and comprehensive' solution.

What I'm really looking for is either an embedded DVR or a PCI DVR card that offers a plain-old port 80 HTTP interface with no proprietary oddities about it. Why can I get a $49 Linksys router with a web interface that supports any possible operating system for administration, but DVR's that run into the thousands of dollars STILL require dozens or hundreds of megabytes of software installed that 'sort-of' works, under limited conditions?

I can download an open-source (free) ISO image of ZoneMinder, boot-up any old PC, plug in a handful of $15 USB webcams into it, and I have a fully functional, PC-based DVR with all the bells and whistles, no proprietary software, a fully functional web-based interface that runs in any environment, and a bunch of MPEG or OGG format videos recorded when motion is detected. But try to replace the $15 webcams with a quality hardware-based capture card and everything grinds to a halt.

Sorry for the rant, but the last few weeks have been rather frustrating for me. If anyone can recommend a hardware/software solution that meets my needs I'm actively seeking your input!

Stan Zapaticky

You say that you bought the card directly from the manufacture, any manufacture that sells directly to End Users/pro users,I would not look on as serious players in the market. I am currently importing and selling different brands of DVR software/cards mainly Geovision/HikVision. If I found out that Geovision was selling directly to end users, I would dump the rest of Geovision products in stock to a low low price on internet as a thank you! If you buy a Toyota directly from the factory in Japan, you might get a car with the driving wheel on the wrong side and also I think they would have trouble serving you as good as a local dealer could.

The HIKVISION card (DS-40XXHCI) is a very good product, it has been on the market a few years but are still counting, I feel they need to upgrade the cards performance now soon, not a codec using lower space but rather a card and PC-Parts that can handle higher bitrate and higher resolutions giving better quality, harddrives is cheap so why settle with medium video quality as is seen on as the best in market today. Maybe a PCI-Xpress version of the HikVision card can deliver this in the future. I feel a card now should deliver 2MegaPixel resolution, 50 Frames Per Second.

The reason that LINUX drivers are not so developed is really a strategic and a market issue. If you had to make a choice to choose between 2 roads to get to your goal, I think it would be the same.

Also I have tested the NetVision software under Windows Vista (not to much) and it was working, but offcourse there was no video because there are no drivers for vista, now is Vista also just a small part of the market compared to XP. I think it would be much better to dont spend time and resources on linux drivers if they could make the Windows version better.

You angry that you cant view video on your PSP ? I say you wanna play? or you wanna ..... do what? I hope this is not a security issue that are troubling you. Anyway I think it is important that a company are having a ownership interest in a product even of it is not a hardware device but software. If Microsoft havent owned the MS sofrware or Apple owning theirs, then maybe we would be sitting with Windows 3.67 for windows 1.98 .

Anyway I hope you get fixed your problems. There are several software developers making software for the HikVision DS-40XXHCI cards, lets hope they dont sell too you directly but guide you too a local dealer that can provide you with what you need. The problem is also that it is so many companies trying then the money runs out when the software development is 70 % done and they stop developing, joining forums like this trying to sell you software and cards and/or on internet together with shop houses selling cards with software they have gotten somewhere.

Then you have the users wanting 1 camera to give you video of the complete parking lot at the same time they can show the color of the eyes of the car that did steal a stereo from the VW Golf parked on the handicap space illegaly. The worls sucks...... I need a holiday soon!

JD

Hi, JD

1/ Maybe a PCI-Xpress version of the HikVision card can deliver this in the future.

---Actually, we have been testing the PCI-E card these days, but the compatibility is not so satisfying. Hikvision has recommended the following 2 MB:

1) Intel 945PLRN (Intel945G/P of Intel Chipsets)

2) Intel DP965LT(Intel P965/G965 of Intel Chipsets)

A pity that we don't have any chance to test them yet.

2/ Also I have tested the NetVision software under Windows Vista (not to much) and it was working, but offcourse there was no video because there are no drivers for vista.

---Actually, Netvision DVR Server software doesn't support vista yet, but the NVR Client software works fine on vista. And whether the Server can support vista is determined by the hardware.

This may be of interest,

DS-400XHCI

DSP Research also provides demo applications that use the SDKs. The source code for some of these applications has been included in the SDK to get you started 'on the fly' and further decrease your development time. The following demo applications are currently provided by DSP Research:

Encoder:

H.264 Demo Encoder (source code is included)

H.264 Demo Encoder for LINUX (source code is included)

H.264 Demo Streaming Server (source code is included)

H.264 Demo Streaming Server for LINUX (source code is included)

Decoder:

Multimedia Player (source code included)

Multimedia Player for LINUX (source code is included)

Windows Media Player Plug-in

H.264 Demo Client (source code is included)

H.264 Demo Client for LINUX (source code is included)

Hi!

How did the testing of the motherboards turn out?

Best Regards

JD

Hi, JD

1/ Maybe a PCI-Xpress version of the HikVision card can deliver this in the future.

---Actually, we have been testing the PCI-E card these days, but the compatibility is not so satisfying. Hikvision has recommended the following 2 MB:

1) Intel 945PLRN (Intel945G/P of Intel Chipsets)

2) Intel DP965LT(Intel P965/G965 of Intel Chipsets)

A pity that we don't have any chance to test them yet.

2/ Also I have tested the NetVision software under Windows Vista (not to much) and it was working, but offcourse there was no video because there are no drivers for vista.

---Actually, Netvision DVR Server software doesn't support vista yet, but the NVR Client software works fine on vista. And whether the Server can support vista is determined by the hardware.