wcc_michael

Editable video from IP camera

We're trying to setup a system to record small meetings remotely and unobtrusively. The one twist to this is that we need to be able to edit the resulting video footage in order to present a summary of it to other people later.

An IP camera looked ideal, and we tried using an AXIS 214 camera, but the resulting footage was in 5 minute un-editable chunks.

Is there a camera that will output at least 15 FPS VGA footage that can be downloaded and edited using basic desktop computer editing gear?

Would the Panasonic WV-NS202 work? I can't find any information on the format of the video files it produces.

If an IP camera won't do the job, what would you recommend instead?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

A Hauppauge PVR150 and a decent analog cam will probably work best for you. That or one of the USB based TV encoders like the Plextor.

This will give you a basic MPEG2 program stream that you can modify with any normal "create your own DVD" software.

One more thing I should probably note, the only cabling we have in place is Cat 5, so I think we would need a baluns for an analog camera, which is why I was looking for an IP camera in the first place.

Okay get some baluns too.

Maybe you can use some sort of NVR software that will allow to to export to an editable format. Thats basically what I do but my DVR/NVR is more then you will want to spend.

IP cameras have many issues that the PVR150 will jump you past, although it's not megapixel it does provide for syncronized audio and an MPEG2 ps which is highly editable.

Try out Exacq vision. They have some amazing features. You can insert cuts in playback mode and export the required footage. All files are exported as exes and can be played on any PC.