megaboost

Hello, new UK member

I don't have a great deal of information to add here that will be of interest to anyone I'm afraid, basically I'm a chap from the UK who has signed up to learn about CCTV option for my home. Last night vandals smashed the wing mirrors off my car, previously people have walked on my vehicles and I'm generally a bit frustrated by it all and want to try and protect myself.

I'm currently looking for a wireless solution that I can use with a PC as I have a couple of spare ones kicking around... time to hit the search button, I have a lot to learn

LOL! Nice avatar! You owe me a new monitor!!

You will be getting a letter from my attorney!!

Ha ! Ha! Ha! That was funny

Argh! I typed a lengthy reply to you all to say thanks for the welcomes but I put in a link to a camera I was thinking about so it told me off and removed my text - bah!

Anyway I'm currently messing around with a basic Logitech webcam and "CAM Wizard" software on trial to get a better understanding of motion detection and things, it's working OK but the resolution is quite poor and I can only ID people that I already know

So I'm looking to move forward with some better kit soon - one camera that has caught my attention is the "Swann BlackKnight" - is this known to you and is it OK for basic day and night monitoring over a relatively small area?

I've put a PC to one side to use in this project but I also have a laptop in mind - which then opens up the question of a USB or PCI setup... too much to learn but I'm slowly getting through the archives

Welcome

Swann = Maplins low grade kit

My 2p's worth buy professional equipment

you get what you pay for

drop me a PM if you want some pointers or info

Enjoy

I would recommend that you go with a wired camera.

Even though the Swann camera is wireless you still have to run a wire to it for power. You may as well run one for video while you are at it.

I have installed a lot of the Swann cameras, and they are very finicky.

All of the decisions are environment based, so take what I say with a grain of salt. What does not work for me, may work for you, and what I guaranty will work will probably crash, and burn for you. Swann's have to be tested on site before an installation.

I will bet that you will not be able to penetrate more than two walls at the most. You can, but then you have to shorten the distance from the receiver to the camera/transmitter.

Remember that transmitters get very hot. If a transmitter (xmtr) is inside of your camera housing then you cannot use high wattage as it will burn out your camera with exteme heat. Wireless cameras will use about 100 milliwatts of power give, or take a few millis. This is about the wattage of a child's walkie talkie. If that fits your specs than you are good to go.

On long distances you are better off using an external transmitter, and external antennas.

Wireless are great for vans that are used by mechanics. You can put a camera inside of the Van, and you can put the receiver in the window of the garage, and then wire the signal back to the DVR. This give you a really strong signal so that they can park anywhere in the parking lot.

People who have a dock on oneside of their road, and their house on the opposite side of the road cannot use Swann wireless cameras. The distance is just to far. You are better off using a 220X zoom camera mounted on a house, and zoom in on your boat.

Just play around with it before you mount it, and you should be ok.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

My main reason for thinking wireless is that the PC I want to use is at the other side of the house, power isn't a problem where the camera would go but I need to avoid running too much wire around the place as it's not my house and hole drilling / fixings potential is limited due to an overzealous landlord. It would only need to get through a window and one wall over a distance of about 15m but I'm now wondering if I should explore other options.

It looks as though the Swann camera might not even be a Swann - it looks like the one in Maplin but without the branding, as I spotted in on eBay I suspect it's a fake.

I can't post a link as I'm too new but it's item number 290181996375 if you want to have a nosey

I just want to monitor my 2 cars, driveway and front garden for now, more research needed but the webcam and CAM Wizard option isn't working out, it misses known events and doesn't do a very good job of recording when it does capture stuff - I think I need to record constantly and then just have a log of motion if that's possible.

It's fun learning about this stuff if nothing else

You could always do IP over powerline, and use IP cameras, or encoders?

I already have a wireless network for the PCs, very strong connection, good range - I just haven't seen many IP cameras that are wireless and in my low price range.