joecoin

Ifrared ground imaging

I have this project I'm contemplating.

I want to monitor mole tunnels in my yard. Is there an infrared CCTV camera that would be able to differentiate a moles body temperature from the surrounding ground temperature?

A moles body temp is approximately 38 C. They burrow very near the surface (especially in my yard).

I'd like to set up a camera that would trigger when a mole came into the infrared field of view.

Any suggestions as to what equipment would work best?

Thanks,

Joe

I would have a Digital Video Recorder set in the Motion Detection mode.

When the mole comes in front of the camera the DVR will notice the changes in the pixals that makes up the video, and then it would start recording. You can set the DVR to record for 10 seconds when it detects motion. If the mole goes away the DVR stops recording, and if the mole stays it will continuously trigger the DVR to record.

I would say order the cheapest MPEG recorder, with a cheap bullet camera with high lines of resolution.

make sure you armor the cable Moles, mice, rats, chimpmunks and other critters love to chew on cables and are attracted to heat sources as well as water...

I would have a Digital Video Recorder set in the Motion Detection mode.

When the mole comes in front of the camera the DVR will notice the changes in the pixals that makes up the video, and then it would start recording. You can set the DVR to record for 10 seconds when it detects motion. If the mole goes away the DVR stops recording, and if the mole stays it will continuously trigger the DVR to record.

I would say order the cheapest MPEG recorder, with a cheap bullet camera with high lines of resolution.

Thanks for the quick reply.

What would be the best way to trigger the camera by the body heat of the mole? So if the mole remained motionless (fell asleep), the camera would continue running.

Additionally, is it feasible to move an infrared camera along the ground above a moles burrow and have the camera pick up the moles image?(Difference in moles temperature vs. ground temperature.)

make sure you armor the cable Moles, mice, rats, chimpmunks and other critters love to chew on cables and are attracted to heat sources as well as water...

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

The IR cameras that we use are different the camera that you are speaking of.

The video will not have different colors showing difference in heat temperature. You will not see an outline of a mole with red at the hottest, and blue at the coldest temp.

You can get a camera like this if you wish to spent $5,000 or more.

The IR camera that I speak of will give you an actual B/W video of the mole. This would be similiar to Meerkat Manor on the Animal Planet Channel. Meerkat obviously uses broadcast grade cameras.

The IR camera that I speak of emits an invisible source of light, and the "invisible" light will illuminate the tunnel, and the mole there by giving you a B/W picture in a dark environment.

Have you taken a look at the links that Rory put together?

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6122

Hello Joecoin, the cameras you are thinking about are thermal image and as Scorpion says they are quite expensive, perhaps you may want to look at snake type inspection cameras (used for pipe and industrial applications)

Hello Joecoin, the cameras you are thinking about are thermal image and as Scorpion says they are quite expensive, perhaps you may want to look at snake type inspection cameras (used for pipe and industrial applications)

Yup.

The affordable cameras (under $10k) actually have near IR LEDs to provide lighting visable to CCD images. This is not thermal radiation which is farther up the spectrum.

We you see IR here think of a flashlight that is invisable to humans. For all I know moles can see it, I assume they would consider it uncool and avoid it if possible.

Everybody,

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

I was thinking of the thermal imaging cameras. I had seen one in action in 1983, and I figured they would be more affordable these days, like most technology.

Imagine my surprise when I found out how much they cost. Wholey moley!

Oh well, maybe I'll rethink the whole mole thing and go with the IR setup.

Thanks again to all.