tmescan

do you have a license?

was just wondering how many of you are allow to work in this industry without a license? It was just implemented this year in Oklahoma...

Well yes, Matt wants $4k per install unlicensed so defenately something required here in OK. Most states have some form of licensing as well however there are a handful with basically none at all.

The bureaurats here in Michigan, some high voltage types (CL1), large security and other LV companies have tried or supported the implementation of licensing and LV job permits. Thankfully it has failed. The number of lobby groups however is amazing. Licensing and certification(s) never guarantees quality service and support. Plenty of other industry examples. Word of mouth and legal action helps protects the consumer. Reputation is everything....

Yes but I must say I am glad OK has it! While it doesn't guarantee quality service and support it does knock out a bunch of trash. It's hard to compete against those people and it only hurts the consumers, I have had many cases where competitiors had quotes that were at or below half my quotes. Sometimes this is just not even possible, sometimes possible but not not fully functional and probably not profitable.

But if the system is not fully functional and profitable they will go out of business at some point. Then you can R&R the system gain a new customer.

Still, most anyone even remotely serious about starting a CCTV business can pass a multiple choice exam from the state. Most states have hungry bureaucracies to feed. In fact, an industry magazine I read the other day had ads for companies who specialize in state exam preparation (most likely former state employees). However, as an industry, this is a good topic for discussion. I believe in the free-market and I don’t need to license number, especially here locally, to be better or more qualified than another company. Beyond licensing however, I think the costs of local LV electrical and electronics job permits which will have a more detrimental impact on our industry- especially for the small projects.

I like licenses to a degree.

I like that it keeps the individual out who does not care to do quality work, and getting a license is too much work.

I like that it helps keep some of the career thieves away as you can only do that as a matter of opportunity. Having a license makes you "trackable". Thieves like to work in the shadows, and be unknown.

How many times have you seen in the news about the unlicensed "contractor" who asks for 50% down on a project, and then the home owner never hears from them again!

Anybody can swing a hammer, and call themselves a carpenter, but not everybody can just "become" professional general contractor.

After the hurricanes a couple a years back I became a "trunk thumper". I found out the hard way that insurance companies do not like to pay out, and they love lawyers so that they can delay the court proceeding until you die of old age, or give up, or run out of money.

Did I say trunk thumper out loud? Ooops.

Ever see that Canadian show Holmes on Homes? Everyone of those hack jobs was done by licensed contractor. Maybe next someone or lobby will propose that you have a license and a college degree in BSEET or EE or something.

Ever see that Canadian show Holmes on Homes? Everyone of those hack jobs was done by licensed contractor. Maybe next someone or lobby will propose that you have a license and a college degree in BSEET or EE or something.

Unfortunately, that is what you get when the government cares more about getting the license fees than protecting the consumer. We have that problem in California with the state Department of Consumer Affairs and its sub-agencies. The B.E.A.R. (Bureau of Electronics and Appliance Repair), for one, does little proactive enforcement of license holders' competency and rarely prosecutes unless the licensee doesn't pay their fee or is an outright fraud. Even if you don't pay the fee all they do is tack on a "penalty" that is payable if, and when, you apply for a new license.

Surtec, you make some great points. Licensing without enforcement is just about collecting fees. But, enforcement will add significant costs to each project. Applying common sense, If I cheat even one customer or hack a series of installations, then the word gets out or I could be haulded into small claims court for lack of contractural performance. Most of my customers ask for references and ask me about similar projects proposed.