Scruit

Finding IR cameras

When I want to test if an IR device is working (remote control, IR emitter etc) I point my camera phone at it and I can see the IR light... I can stand at the end of my drive with an IR filter and my cellphone and all my cameras jump right out at me.

Seems like this could be a risk in terms of someone identifying the location of cameras/emitters.

Any suggestions as far as getting around this? I was thinking maybe installing a shield/visor that would hide the IR Emitter from areas that are not covered by it (so you can't just drive past the house and use a camera phone to identify the locations of the cameras).

You have missed the primary purpose of CCTV.

Scare them into messing with someone else!

What would be the advantage to them if they knew ~some of the locations~. 99.99% of people will go somewhere else. You would have to be specifically targeted for someone to intentionally a number of cameras and wish to play mission impossible or something.

use 950-1100nm and more than likely the camera phone will not see it ..

im surprised it sees IR at all ..

You have missed the primary purpose of CCTV.

Scare them into messing with someone else!

What would be the advantage to them if they knew ~some of the locations~. 99.99% of people will go somewhere else. You would have to be specifically targeted for someone to intentionally a number of cameras and wish to play mission impossible or something.

What can I say? I'm paranoid.

There's also the thought that any house with CCTV cameras all over it must have something valuable to protect, eh?

use 950-1100nm and more than likely the camera phone will not see it ..

im surprised it sees IR at all ..

69340_1.jpg

The two white dots are IR emitters

69340_2.jpg

There's also the thought that any house with CCTV cameras all over it must have something valuable to protect, eh?

nah .. paranoid?

I have iron bars on my doors and windows, and razor wire . ..

I dont walk outside the door without my cutlass ..

yeah, but who would know what they are?

Could be anything .. yard light or something.

No need to be paranoid.. First and foremost, such surveillance equipment creates a major deterrent factor... Why should they try vandalizing a property that has such equipment when the property next does is an easier target? At least that how the theory goes.

Besides having the correct placements of your cameras and IR equipment, make sure that you hide your cables properly. The potential thief knows that if they cut the wire, no video will be avail...

Another important move that you can make.. Select an area where you will keep your DVR. Buy a DVR lock box and bolt it down somewhere safe and then place the DVR inside and lock it. Thiefs will not spend more than 15 minutes according to many studies if they have to compromise their identity, nor they want to take major chances on a property that has surveillance equipment. But some will do it just because...

Thiefs know that any property that does not have a CCTV coverage is an open game for them... The properties that have such equipment is a major challenge for them.

And if you have expensive valuables, may be you should keep them in the bank

yeah, but who would know what they are?

Could be anything .. yard light or something.

They are not visible to the naked eye. Hold up the phone in camera mode and compare the phone image with what you can see. any bright white dots that only appear on the phone = IR emitters.

Lost me, are you talking about Infrared for Cameras?

If the IR is 850nm or lower than it is visible to the human eye, if it is 950-1100nm then it is invisible plus most cameras wont recognize it.

Lost me, are you talking about Infrared for Cameras?

If the IR is 850nm or lower than it is visible to the human eye, if it is 950-1100nm then it is invisible plus most cameras wont recognize it.

I'm talking about 850. To the naked eye it's a faint glow that is not visible from the street - whereas the camera phone sees it as a bright white light.

I'm talking about 850. To the naked eye it's a faint glow that is not visible from the street - whereas the camera phone sees it as a bright white light.

Ok, but what I was saying that if it is 950-1100nm then maybe the camera phone wont pick it up, not many cameras do, especially the cheaper ones such as those found in a cell phone.

Extreme has the 950nm line of IR, not cheap though.

Extreme has the 950nm line of IR, not cheap though.

Everything I do can be done, and has been done, by the industry... But it's not cheap.