bruno

Help? Panasonic WJ-HD500B or Kalatel DVMRE CT

Ready to purchase a DVR and need a little help deciding which one to get. I have narrowed my options down to two. This is for a 16 camera residential system.

Kalatel DVMRE CT or the Panasonic WJ-HD500B. Instead of just saying one is the best, could someone possibly offer pros & cons for both.

Thank you,

Bruno

Panasonic is much more expensive last time I looked. Kalatel has been in the DVR business for many more years than Pansonic.

Kalatel, you can view up to 16 DVRS with up to 64 cameras in one mulit screen, remotely over the internet.

Dont know enough about Pano's DVR, but I could not find any remote software demos online for it.

Ive been using Kalatel DVRs for 3 years now with no issues. Plug Play and Forget about them.

Rory

DM is also more expensive on this side of the pond, and remote & firmware software is not as good. But it is still a great machine.

I have a couple of DM machines at customer sites, and I'm not very impressed by their support.

Also, DM remote view software does not support being logged on to more than one unit at a time. This is often a deal breaker for me.

If you have a customer with POS systems, the Kalatel units have better integration than any of the others I am aware of.

Actually DM does spport multiple DVRS from one application, but you have to pay for it, pretty sad really, I found the DM latest remote softwrae easier than the kalatel, but I must say the Kalatel has a better range of features and is more like a PC so more features, DM's components are a little better though from what I can see inside the case, but haven't had a great deal to do with them, in Australia the DM kills Kalatel but I like both units.. well loved both units until Nadatel came around.

I called DM support a few months back and asked this question, specifically about integrating Digital Sprite and DS2 unit images across multiple DVRs. At the time, they said Network Viewer did not support this, and you had to logoff one unit in order to logon to another. Is there a new SW package that you can point me to? Network Viewer is free, so I suspect you are talking about something else.

Havent seen it but know it exists it is only new, i saw them at a trade show recently and the guy was proud as punch to admit it could do it. give DM a call I think either he was lying.. doubt that... or it is only a new thing

Unless they've changed the Panasonic remote viewing software, that alone is enough to reject it.

I've used Kalatel and DM, and man I'm torn! I like DM remote viewer, onboard controls, and setup menu a lot better than Kalatel's. But Kalatel does have multi-site support, and they are still a very fine product. I like Kalatel's POS input better, and they have had consistenly larger storage options. So, what can I say but... PUNT

As far as Panasonic and those two... EITHER one is better than Panasonic

Michael