chamac

Which Aver card

Ok, I have trawled the forums and decided that the card I need is an Avermedia. Problem is which one? Basically, I have a small business here in Ireland and need a max of eight cameras. I also have a boat that I intend watching with a wireless network camera probably from Axis.

Being a relative newbie ( I own a Swann DVR4 net !) can I ask what is the difference between the NV5000 and the two NV7000 cards. One is the NV7000H and one does not have the H.

Am I mistaking or can I network the wireless network camera on the boat with the other cams at work and watch the whole lot from the office?

There is wifi where the boat is kept.

Can someone suggest which card is best. They would all be inside my budget.

Chamac

Go NV5000, the NV7000 is already depreciated and the NV7000H will be before long. If you can find an NV7000 they are selling old stock and it should be ~$250. The NV7000H is a hardware compression card and the NV5000 is not. The NV5000 can be configured to support 4,8,12 or 16 channels and will capture from your Axis across the internet.

Do I need a second card to get the next four channels ? or can I get an extension?

If so maybe the 6480E would be a better bet and be a little more future proof.

Thanks for your help Collin.

Ordered two NV5000 today. Should give good frame rates with eight cams. Thanks for the help

Great forum.

I'm new to this stuff as well and find myself in a very similar spot as Chamac. That is, I've decided on an Aver card but can't settle on which one.

I'm looking to do 4-8 cameras. I first thought the NV7000H was the choice then decided NV6240 would be the better option since it uses at least partial software compression. More flexibility for upgrade in the future as algorithms change.

Now in this thread the NV5000 seems to be the card of choice. I look at the card comparison pdf on the avermedia website and its really difficult to sort through which is best.

Can anyone explain the differences in a way like, "If you have x, y & z, then use NV5000 because... If you have a, b, c then use NV6240 because... If you have l, m, n then use NV7000H"?

(1) NV5000 & a 4AVEXT card is all you need. Not (2) NV5000's. Waste of money to add a second NV5000 unless your looking for specific fps.

I run up to 12 cameras on one NV5000.no issues. fps is fine for basic business & home use.

differences? NV5000 is the same as a 6420/6480 in terms of software and capabilities. NV5000 is the low end fps card and from there you go up to the 6480e which is a monster fps card. They all do IP camera's, remote DVR's, audio, and analog which is a plus.

examples, I currently have a;

- NV5000 with 8 channels. 3 are local analog and 4 are polling 3 remote DVR's (EB1304net's) via internet and LAN

- NV6480e running 15 camera's, all analog

- EB1403NET's at smaller locations running analog camera's

- 1704Hybrid running IP camera's (axis 207MW) from remote locations

the bottomline; fps is over-rated for average small biz & home use. don't buy it unless you need it.

The main differnce between the NV5000 and the NV6240 is the frame rate at the higher resolution of 640X480. If you build the system to avers specs the NV6240 will run at full frame rate at 640X480 res. were as the NV5000 will lower its frame rate at that res. The NV5000 is a PCI card and the NV6240 is a PCI-Express which allows the card to out perform the NV5000.

The main differnce between the NV5000 and the NV6240 is the frame rate at the higher resolution of 640X480. If you build the system to avers specs the NV6240 will run at full frame rate at 640X480 res. were as the NV5000 will lower its frame rate at that res. The NV5000 is a PCI card and the NV6240 is a PCI-Express which allows the card to out perform the NV5000.

Besides the fps rates, the NV-Express cards can also give you a quad view on your TV, or 8, or 9 ... In my experience I feel like NV5000 gives a better picture quality. I am trying to convince myself that the express cards have better image quality but every express system showed the same. Though, I still would go with the express card. Because when you use the extension for NV5000 you really can't get a solid picture with 8 channels due to the low fps/channel. Express cards also utilize you system much better than NV5000. So, express card with H264 compression. Sweet ...