mpr86

CCTV Installation in Elevator. Cable requirment questions.

Hello,

I am having 3 cameras installed in 3 elevators on a 15 story building. These 3 cameras, along with another 28 cameras located throught the building are going to be connected to a DVR room on the first floor.

The cameras which I am purchasing are corner mount cameras which run on 12V DC 300mA

The elevator company is telling me there is spare cable already available in the travel shaft. I was wondering what cable is required to run these camers? Would a RG-59 be required in this case? In addition, I heard we need to run Baliuns or something. What is a Baliun and is it required? Finally, the cables are terminating on the top floor (15th), but the DVR is on the 1st floor, would it be fine to run a connector to the top cable all the way back down and to the DVR room? Power to the camera would be supplied directly off the elevator car.

Thanks

Baluns allow you to send video over twisted pair. So if a twisted pair is the spare cable the elevator company is going to let you use, you are set.

You will need a path from the 15th floor to the head end on the 1st floor. Running down the shaft obviously is not an option. How about running a CAT5E from the 15th floor termination to the 15th floor electrical room, then through the floor conduits for the network all the way down to the 1st floor, then over to the head end. You can tie the elevator twisted pair directly to the CAT5E, so you only need a balun at the camera and at the head end.

The elevator guys told me there is an 18guage already running in the travel shaft, would this be adequate?

I guess I will get more info from them, they are going to fax me a list of available cables in there, but he said there was around 10 spare cables running.

Do you have an e-mail address I could ask you a few questions via?

Thanks a lot

Baluns allow you to send video over twisted pair. So if a twisted pair is the spare cable the elevator company is going to let you use, you are set.

You will need a path from the 15th floor to the head end on the 1st floor. Running down the shaft obviously is not an option. How about running a CAT5E from the 15th floor termination to the 15th floor electrical room, then through the floor conduits for the network all the way down to the 1st floor, then over to the head end. You can tie the elevator twisted pair directly to the CAT5E, so you only need a balun at the camera and at the head end.

The 18-2 wire would work great for power, but you said you are getting the power locally inside the elevator car. I assume there is a 12 VDC source you can tap into in the car.

Video needs to run on coax, or twisted pair. I did see a video line at my store where someone had spliced some RCA connectors onto a 100' section of 18-2... I am not sure how well it worked, I pulled it right out and did it the right way (it's like a comic treasure hunt finding the ingenious setups my predicessors did).

I have not installed CCTV in an elevator before. I did work on some projects where we put access control into them. However, many others here on the site have installed in an elevator, and are much more knowledgable than I.

In the spare cable list, look for CAT5E, CAT6E, or whatever says twisted pair. Someone here can advise whether the specific cables you get on the fax will work.

Think about the wireless signal bouncing back and forth off the walls.

Also you may run in into interference with 2.4Ghz from wireless internet connections.

Ask the elevator rep if there is a emergency phone system installed and if so can you use any spares also make sure all this work gets signed off and approved....