Does anyone have recommendations as far as vendors and models???

*8/16 channel stand alone network dvr with 240/480 FPS < $1000

*Good Outdoor PTZ dome cameras on a budget < $700

*Budget Color Dome Cameras with and without varifocal lenses up to <$200 each?

*2 reg. box cameras facing back to back installed to a housing unit to monitor North and South positions along side or above the PTZ camera.

This installation is for my personal home. I am a IT professional and fairly savy with hooking these up myself.

I've looked around at DVRs and settled on Avtech. Where can I get a good priced 8 channel or 16 channel Avtech AVC787. Is it signifigantly cheaper to go without the built in DVD writer and hookup a after market one?

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend geting a unit that already has the DVD writer all ready installed, and then it will have the matching firmware to go with it.

If price is of the essence then you can sacrifice tech support, and use Google to search for cheap DVR for those sites that specialize in bulk purchase, and pass the savings on to you. Due to low market profits, they do not hire in house tech support to provide you with the help that you need.

Before you purchase find out if their contact us information is correct. Make sure they answer the phone, or answer your email.

If these features are important then you may have to avoid the bulk purchase sites, and go with one that has in house tech support.

What do you think?

Thanks for the ideas. I have re-evaluated my needs and would like to seek recommendations where to get a good deal on a geovision 16 port card?

What's a few PTZ for outdoor use with 22x optical zoom?

What's a few fixed color day/night camera?