rickmc

Need help choosing a dvr and cameras

I posted this in system but it just never showed up.

I would like advise on which dvr and cameras to purchase. I want to monitor my vacation home for any vandalism or thievery and be able to use the recording to give to law enforcement. So I figure I need a dvr that can record high frames/minute. I could be away a month at a time so I would need good motion recording to keep from filling up 30 days of nothing. I need 24 hour a day so 60-100ft of night vision would be needed.

I am on a budget but only need 2 cameras so I was hoping to get a dvr and 2 cameras for $700 or less. I have found some likely candidates but not sure of the quality.

Here is what I found for a dvr on amazon:

4CH CPD560 / AVC760 Real time Pentaplex Network DVR

or

Gadspot GS1800 (4-CH) on gadspot dot com

and for cameras,

Lorex High Resolution Day/Night Camera with 30 LEDs (Color) on amazon

or

GS232B Day & Night Outdoor CCD Camera (Waterproof)

on gadspot dot com

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Rick

You will not get many takers on this.

1. A good IR cam with your range cost more than your spec each most IR cams you have to buy twice the distance to get what you want, then your cheap IR's do not use good IR led's and the pattern does not look right.

2. A good stand alone is priced over your budget you can get cheap ones no tech support good luck finding someone to replace it under warrenty.

You get what you pay for. Most people want a $700.00 system to protect a $250,000.00 investment. Home or car insurance cost more than that.

For a budget DVR I like your choice with the AVTech, CPCam!!

As for Gadspot check the return policy!!

Return Policy

• For return, there is 20% restocking fee. Return must be in the original packaging with all its contents. No refund for all sales after 30 days of receipt.

• All shortages and damages must be reported within 10 days of receipt.

• For defective products return or replacement, buyers must contact seller within 30 days of receipt. Buyer must pay for returning the defective product. All products found not defective upon inspection will be subject to a 20% restocking fee if buyer wants a refund.

• Compatibility is not guaranteed. There is a 20% restocking fee for all non-defective products returned. This includes problems with: compatibility, driver/software conflicts, improper installation, etc.

• An RMA number is required for all returns. Please fill out an RMA Request Form before returning the product.

• For exchange or return due to buying a wrong product, buyer needs to pay two-way shipping fee. 20% restocking fee will be charged for refunds.

• Shipping fee is not refundable. No exception.

**Once the return is received, please allow one to two weeks for it to be processed.

You get what you pay for. Most people want a $700.00 system to protect a $250,000.00 investment. Home or car insurance cost more than that.

I can't agree more, this is a great quote. Have to use it from now on

with your permission.

That $700. you will need it just for the good cameras .

Spending $700 on a new surveillance system is like spending $70,000 on a new house or $7,000 on a new car. Ask yourself what quality of house/land can you get for $70,000 and what quality of car can you get for $7,000. This will give you an idea of what quality a new surveillance system you will have for $700. The idea is to spend 10% of the value of you want to protect. Like someone mentioned, it is the least expensive form of insurance.

Agree on spending cheaply, however some people do have actual financial issue...the rest are just sold what's offered in the yellow pages!

Another option is host it out, 2 IP cameras on site using the DSL and have video elsewhere. It allows spreading the cost of a server over time.