Gyro Gearloose

How Much Upload Speed or Bandwidth Is Recommended For DVR?

This installation will be using two 16 channel DVR's with a total of 19 cameras.

How much upload speed or bandwidth will my customer need to view and manage it smoothly over the Internet?

Hi!

You should tell us what kind of compression, resolution, frames per second and so much information you can to begin with, because it is very hard to tell you what you need if not.

It can be very big difference between for instance a standard Mpeg4 and a H.264 compression when sent thru a network.

JD

The compression is MPEG4,

7.5 frames per sec,

Record quality listed as "good",

9 cameras on one DVR & 10 cameras on the other.

The customer has DSL with the upload and download speeds the same. Right now it measures at 256kb/s

Thanks

not to get in detail 8fps X 4k = 32k per camera X 19 camera's = 608k

if all 19 camera's are recording or veiwing live video

and you always have overhead 512k up = about 495k

not to get in detail 8fps X 4k = 32k per camera X 19 camera's = 608k

if all 19 camera's are recording or veiwing live video

and you always have overhead 512k up = about 495k

So cirvine do you think we need more than 512k?

A dvr I've used with MPEG4 uses @12-15Kbps per frame. That means for 7.5fps you'll need at least 90Kbps, and for 19 cameras that comes out to at least 1710Kbps. First, I would get the most upload that you can from your ISP, after knowing how much you got then you tweak the fps and quality.

A dvr I've used with MPEG4 uses @12-15Kbps per frame. That means for 7.5fps you'll need at least 90Kbps, and for 19 cameras that comes out to at least 1710Kbps. First, I would get the most upload that you can from your ISP, after knowing how much you got then you tweak the fps and quality.

It is a H.263 MPEG4 DVR with a 100:1 compression ratio. File size per frame is 16kbps/frame, meaning 7.5fps x (16kbps/frame)= 120kbps. This is only for one camera, 19 cameras is 2280kbps for upload! How far away? Maybe wireless better option.

512K should be fine, if your using DSL, just my 2 cents as I we tell our coustomers to get the pakage which offer 512K upload, here Verizon is far better then cable.

512K should be fine, if your using DSL, just my 2 cents as I we tell our coustomers to get the pakage which offer 512K upload, here Verizon is far better then cable.

Down here, the DSL business package for $99 a month only gives them 128 upload speed .. if they want something that matches the Cable Business Package (basic is $150 a month), they have to pay DSL $490 a month. So obviously we dont use DSL for remote video down here

Most time i'd recommend working backwards instead.

Since the more upload speed's plan = more expensive, most customer would not pay that much for the connection.

Just ask how much's their budget for internet connection, and get a plan that most closely meet their budget.

Slow connection u can also see the cameras feeds, just slower.

UNLESS they got unlimited budget, else working out the bandwidth needed is redundent and a waste of time. Furthermore, it'll depends on the connection between 2 different places as well. Internet speed's never guaranteed as well. Getting a 1Mbps upstream line doesn't mean u can send 1Mbps, doesn't mean the connection between the 2 location would be 1Mbps as well, and at all time. Unless u are talking abt a dedicated line, you'ld almost close to never get the full bandwidth of the promised speed.

Just get the fastest plan ur budget allow.