jisaac

wireless through a substation

Has anyone ever installed a point to point/multipoint wireless lan through an electrical substation?

What kind of affect would you think that would have on the IP broadcast?

(I mean straight through the middle of it)

I don't know what challenges you would be up against, but check this out:

77585_1.jpg

If you are doing something like that be sure and take lots of pictures!76805_1.gif

I would trial it for a week end to end, I dont think you would have much of a problem @2.4ghz but you would have to make sure the signal is 100%

>ie 2 high gain antennas pointing at each other and 9dbi for multipoints

the best way to test it would be a spectrum analyser to check the amount

of interference there @2.4ghz [or at least a USB wi-spy unit]

a cheezy cheap way would be 2.4ghz analog video senders TX and RX and see if there is rubbish on the picture !

z

last year i have installed camera and controlled through wireless.. u know, i can't get smooth signal through wireless.. I'm using a multi point antenna, but it doesn't work then I'll try to change to point to point antenna and it work.. for sure.. suddenly the signal or picture staged displayed.. reason is high voltage interference signal and also raining sometime will effect the signal too..

I'd say this all depends on what the path looks like. How much "stuff" in the middle greatly affects what you are dealing with.

I'd stay away from 900MHz systems as those can have issues with spurious noise associated with high-voltage transmission lines and substations.

But, you never know. I have a WISP customer that is maybe 3 blocks from a big substation, and they are on our 900MHz system. The antenna is pointed right over the top of the substation and there is no problems what so ever.

If you can PM me with a google earth image I can take a look at it and maybe give you some thoughts.

Check out Proxim or Firetide they probably have done these type of installs. Look at doing a site survey /spectrum analysis. That is the only way you can tell what is going on also can you go over the top for your line of site connection? 5.8 Mhz instead of 2.4 ?