Hi guys. I am looking at installing over 60 microphones and 60 cameras in an estate. There will be a 12v supply at each camera/microphone. There will be 2 cameras and 2 microphones in each room (a couple of meters apart).

At first i was going to use coax for each device back to the distribution room.

Then i thought of using Cat5, 2 devices on each cable, a balun for each.

Then i looked at the prices for the baluns. Looking at a fiver each, so £600 - £1200 just for the baluns. So, its going to be cheaper to run RJ59. yes it may be more efficient to run the Cat 5 but money is money.

Can anyone give my their views on this. I am still in 2 minds. Pros and cons just to help make up my mind.

Thanks guys

No. I just changed a few of the names to protect the innocent. lets call this a hypothetical situation

in your "prison" I would use IP cams everywhere CAT 5 and switches/fibre...

..but... coax is always going to be better than converting it to cat5 and back again -unless the distance is too far.

-would not do it for microphones at all.

my 2c

in your "prison" I would use IP cams everywhere CAT 5 and switches/fibre...

..but... coax is always going to be better than converting it to cat5 and back again -unless the distance is too far.

-would not do it for microphones at all.

my 2c

I completely agree! I would recommend an IP camera network setup in this situation since you can pickup multiple IP cameras now with good resoloution and microphones already installed on them.

Have you looked into this option yet?

Thanks,

John

I would have loved to have gone IP but unfortunately everything is covert. I cannot wait for covert IP cams.

Thanks guys. I am going to stick with coax. it may be a lot more cable to handle but at least i should get a decent signal

60 cams in total, 2 covert cams and 2 covert mics per room?

Im really curious as to the use of this...

me two!!! We might be able to help if he"could / would" give us more information.

You could use the Axis 247s video servers. They are very small (fit in a 2 gang box), Audio input, and POE power for the cameras and the server. You would also get motion and audio detection. The are $499.00 so it would not be cheap but you would have a very clean easy install. Power, audio and video over one cat5.

Axis 247s