Hi guys. I have been asked to look at putting a cam at the end of a small loca air field runway and linking it into their existing system (cop security dvr).

There is no power and the nearest building is 1Km away line of sight.

Can i use a wireless video link for this or will I have to cable (that will be a 2Km cable run as it will gave to go around the edge of the feild!)

I am based in the UK and the system must be licence free if I go the wireless link route.

Thoughts please oh mighty knowledgeable ones....

No power so solar I guess or a couple of large battery's to last a while

Questions

budget ?

Do you need to see at night ?

need get the planes rego ?

need to get the approach and landing ?

You could go IP cams but you said you have an analog system.

I would not touch 900mhz because the transponders are right there

2.4mhz is nasty 5.8ghz might be the go. [some weather radars are on 5ghz tho] -ask your comms guy

For 1km you will need two high gain antennas around 12dbi + pointing at each other one hooked up to your cam and transmitter the other at the COP DVR end on the receiver.

[make sure the RX TX link has antenna sockets!]

camera selection is up to you but something small waterproof that does

not draw to much current. -'extreme ex27' would be nice

my 2c

z

I was looking for some 5.8G links but have had no luck finding them here in the UK.

Here are the answers for your questions:

1. Budget - around £1500 - 2000 GBP all in

2. Yes, night time use is required.

3. No need to get reg numbers of planes. The cam is more for checking no one is running around on the air field

4. Again, no need to capture approach and landings.

I have a basic external housing knocking around and an IR light housing too ( I don't think it has an IR lamp/filter in it though)

Take a look at products by Ligowave. Their PTP equipment comes with integrated antennas. You should be able to find something that meets your local regulatory restrictions. If you must use 2.4GHz products, check out their other product line, Deliberant.

Hi There

We had a similar requirement. Not for an airport but for live event broadcasting. We used some equipment from a company called securitystores In Toronto We had 4 cameras at 4 different locations more than 3500 feet. It worked excellent. We needed to mount the transmitters high up so we could get line of site about 18 feet.

Good luck

Bill

Take a look at radiodata.co.uk

I have used their equipment for two cameras at a Kennels and they worked fine - £1100 for the TRX & RX & PSU's 1.4MHz

They do a 5.8MHZ TRX & RX in 12v or 240v for £900

Should be line of sight when fitting !

AL