gfdcxgfd

Altering the GUI of a PC based DVR card?

Just curious has anyone ever done this before? and if so how/what programs did you use?

I am interested in altering the coloring layout of the wave-p products along with removing DVR to make it just nice, plain and simple as much as possible.

Unless you are a programmer you really wont be able to change the program. If you are computer savvy and the programmer did not integrate all of the graphics into the main program, you can look through all the files for graphic files. A lot of the graphics like buttons and logos can be found most of the time. If the ones you find are what you want to change you can replace them with a different one. Keep in mind the replacement will have to be the exact same format and size or it will most likely not work and the program could crash. If you decide to try and pull and replace these graphics files be prepared to reinstall the program in case it doesn't like it.

Lance

If you alter any softeare you do not own it is aganist the law.

When you pay for a dvr card and software you only pay to use the software it is still the property of the writer. I would very carefull and not even mention that I would try something like that. You could end up with strangers knocking on your door.

If you alter any softeare you do not own it is aganist the law.

When you pay for a dvr card and software you only pay to use the software it is still the property of the writer. I would very carefull and not even mention that I would try something like that. You could end up with strangers knocking on your door.

I dunno know about that...

You saying I cannot rip pages from a book I own?

The only real problem you could run into by altering software you bought or are legally using, would be if you profited by the reselling of the software. In the end, it would be a copyright issue that would have to be resolved in court. By changing the graphics of any software program, especially programs that have the graphics separated out as individual files, would be just about impossible and a waste of time for the original software programmer to try to stop, unless large amounts of money was being made off of the reselling. People change the way there software looks all the time. In fact there are lots of programs that change the look of other software. An example would be themes for windows. Microsoft doesn't own the theme, and the theme can completely change the look of windows.

Technically it would depend on the actual licence agreement for the software, and its legal enforcability (microsoft has had flak in court for dodgy licence agreements in the past).

Some manufacturers dont mind you altering the look of the software, some will...

Often the licence states you dont own the software, just a right to use it, and goes as far as saying you must destroy all copies, or return them to the manfacturer if you dont want to use it any more. They sometimes forbid you to resell the software (making second hand sales illegal for some software) and many times they go above board denying responsibilty/liability for the software, even to include things like not holding them liable for death, injuries, earthquakes etc....

Lots of licence agreements are never read by people installing them, and they are often not strictly enforced (as its not worth the bother, unless something large scale is going on) and some of them wont stand up well in court (as microsoft found out before with its over restrictive licences).

Reverse engineering, modifying, copying are often covered, to stop people (or try to scare them anyway) from making copies or different versions they rebadge under their own name.

Some companies seem happy for people to skin their products, and even provide means for replacing logo's and altering the installs etc, some will provide a api for further customisation with dealer specific addons, geo seems to be one like that, as it can help their sales if people by the software knowing they can customise it and sell on there own custom version. Its more sales for them at the end of the day.