Hi,

I wanted to post it to the Networking forum,but it did not let me

my question is what router do you guys use to connect a DVR to internet?

thanks

Isn't your DVR supose to have a Ethernet connection directly in it ?

If you DVR is PC based you should add a network card on it.

If you want to know what Brand of router is the best? look over Linksys / D-Link they have very stable and good router maybe you'll have to do firmware upgrades and they are very easy to use.

If you use a router you must be aware that you will have to Forward some port in your router configuration.

If you want to know how to do so you should check out your the router brand website they should have tutorial how to do it.

I Hope i didn't miss you point on your question.

I prefer Tomato firmware. I've had problems with DDWRT. Right now, I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router, but I've also used Buffalo routers with good success.

DDWRT firmware is almost more important then the router used.

Read this:

http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php

Supported routers:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html

have fun!

Collin

I agree with CollinR's assessment of the DDWRT firmware. Since limitation of documentation, they may not be as popular as Tomato, but then again, they work much better and offer more options that Tomato. DDWRT firmware offers more choices dependent on what you want to do and support more routers and a lot more stable. The only trick about it is that you have to know what you are doing due to limited documentation.

I can not add more than what my friend CollinR already covered with the urls. I will only suggest that if you have questions about how to use DDWRT, go to their forum http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/. You can find basically everything that you are looking for about DDWRT.

It's been a long time since I tried DDWRT and I can't remember what it was I didn't like about it; there was some feature I needed that didn't work right, but I can't recall what it was. I do remember that when I tried to switch back from DDWRT to the Linksys firmware, my router got bricked. I found a procedure on the web to short a couple of traces on the routers board, then FTP Tomato up to the router. It worked and I can switch back and forth between Tomato and Linksys without any trouble. Since Tomato does everything I need, I never tried DDWRT again.

That same router is still working fine by the way.

I'll have to give the latest DDWRT another try on one of my spare routers and see if it works better.